July 17, 2018, 03:32:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mantis motors  (Read 5054 times)

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
Mantis motors
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:41:20 pm »
For those of you with mantisweight (6lb) robots, what have you used for drive motors? I'm looking for something I could put in a wedge bot.
TEAM IGNITION
Sparkplug
FireArrow
Nitro Hornet
Spinjitsu
Salamandra

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: Mantis motors
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:58:40 pm »
For a wedge I would use rs 5xx motors

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:11:15 pm »
I have been eyeballing these for a while now. I'm going to commit right now actually. when they show up ill let you know on quality.

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:19:10 pm »
I'd think you could use an RS3xx motor as well, we used them in GTO. It was pretty slow on 26:1s, but it drove fine, and that's 9 pounds more weight than a mantis.

teamsandman

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:18:43 pm »
I use the harborfreight drills. Probably half my weight just in the motors, and the gearboxes are all plastic so when Ripto Ultimate slams you into the ceiling, they can't handle that.

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »
or you could go with the alex horde approach on this and use 7xx motors

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:34:17 pm »
I have been eyeballing these for a while now. I'm going to commit right now actually. when they show up ill let you know on quality.

These look pretty good, actually. Let me know if they work out.
TEAM IGNITION
Sparkplug
FireArrow
Nitro Hornet
Spinjitsu
Salamandra

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 06:08:47 pm »
well I received some motors in the mail this week. I ended up orders these because the others were out of stock. shame really but all well. I ended up getting a different gearbox ratio then what was listed. It was supposed to be a 16.2:1 and what I got is a 13.8:1 I even checked the stages just to make sure. 3 2.4:1s giving me 13.8:1. I'm not even mad really, faster is better as far as i'm concerned. plus they have listings for the 13.8:1 ratios as well so I can still get replacements. I tested them out with my new botbitz 30amp controllers just to see what kind of speed them would have. I really liked the Idea of a stub motor but they just don't have the speed/power so the motors will need to be replaced. the gearbox has some nice mounting options, a stock 380 will fit easily but I'm thinking of giving this a try. should do well. the pinion appears to be a .5m 10t, luckily our good friend hobbyking has them in stock in different shaft sizes

anyway here are the motors in question.

-Kyle

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 06:39:38 pm »
By 380 motor, you mean something like this right?

Even with having to buy a different motor, it's still cheaper than Banebots motors/gearboxes, so I'll probably be doing that.

Thanks for checking those out, Kyle.
TEAM IGNITION
Sparkplug
FireArrow
Nitro Hornet
Spinjitsu
Salamandra

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 07:00:36 pm »
more like this to save you some money

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »
I used 380 motors to drive the 12 pound bot Scurrie around. 25:1 on 3" wheels at 6.6v.  It was slow but I never replaced one.  I think you could go 3S lipo and the ~14:1 boxes shown here in a mantis for sure. Going by the specs on the banebots site you won't be able to use more than 2" or so wheels in a 10' box without wasting it.  That puts your right around 11 mph which is pretty zippy in that space I think. 

The traxxas motor would likely be more powerful, but they don't post real specs so it's tough to say. Long can 400's add just a little bit of weight and size, but bolt up the same as 380 motors and can handle more voltage. If you went to 4S and 3" wheels you could get 12.4 MPH out of that same ~10 feet. Not sure the added weight, space, and cost of that system is worth it, but if your design calls for the bigger wheels it might be a good bet.

Thanks for checking these out Kyle

edit: removed rogue "long can 400s"

-Zac

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:11:26 am by zacodonnell »

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »
Those traxxas motors are junk. Actually, all of their motors are, at least for combat stuff. The brushed ones are fragile, and the brushless ones are too high Kv to work well without a larger reduction.

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 07:49:27 pm »
If I was to use the 13.8s I would be looking a at 1.75" wheel. I have contacted the seller though to see what they intent to do about the mix-up. I want the see if the 16.2s are the same pinion.

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:07 pm »
1.75 is a little smaller than I wanted to use but I can probably design around it. Thanks for the advice on the traxxas motors btw
TEAM IGNITION
Sparkplug
FireArrow
Nitro Hornet
Spinjitsu
Salamandra

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 07:47:49 pm »
ugh. they stopped selling the 16:1 ones so I got the last two 13:1s. If they end up breaking at rage I might end up having to get banebots boxes for bot blast.
TEAM IGNITION
Sparkplug
FireArrow
Nitro Hornet
Spinjitsu
Salamandra