November 15, 2018, 11:26:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mutually Assured Destruction  (Read 14892 times)

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Mutually Assured Destruction
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2018, 09:09:36 pm »
Franklin Institute 2018 Event Report

Before we begin, let's review the changes to the bots prior to the event:

Slim Pickens

-Smaller diameter wheels (1.75" instead of 2")
-Pistol grip radio (Flysky GT3B)

Thunder Child

-New motor mounting brackets to protect the gearbox and motor can from separating.
-Switch to the Servocity gearmotors
-Pistol grip radio

If you would like to follow along, here is the playlist of all my fights:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH2SK956z6ROCj6qfY8KcJCjGGr5zo1Mx

SLIM PICKENS

Fight 1: vs Firearrow

Going into the fight I was extremely nervous- Dylan is an excellent driver and he added some extra long forks for fight me. Unfortunately for him, the forks gave him a disadvantage- I could easily escape from him if he got under me. It wen the distance and I got the decision

Fight 2: vs Rainbow Kitty

I didn't see the bots first fight, but from what I heard Rainbow Kitty was fast and well-driven by a 6-year-old girl. During the fight I was able to outdrive her, and got her stuck in the kickplate. I freed her though, and won the judges' decision.

Fight 3: vs Revy

Slim Pickens's new wedge was designed especially for fighting Saifu kits. I easily slipped under his drum and he never got a good bite on me.

Fight 4 (final): vs Foiled

Foiled beat me at Motorama earlier this year in a really close decision. Going into the fight I was eager to see how the new wedge would do against horizontals. I didn't have any issues, and bullied him around until he lost half of his drive and did the thing. Slim Pickens gets first place for the first time in two years.

THUNDER CHILD

Fight 1: vs Quicksand

I swapped to the wolverine claws for this fight- his wedge was lower than mine and I didn't want to take any chances. He got under me a few times, but I ended up high-centering him on some debris. I left him there to get the win. Sorry Ian :/

Fight 2: vs Foiled Again

I switched to the anti-horizontal configuration and bullied him around for the full two minutes. Not much to say about it.

Fight 3: vs Clank

Back to the wolverine claws. I charged head first into his weapon multiple times, but he did get a hit on my wheelguards. It was a win for me after I dominated for most of the fight.

Fight 4: vs Devastating Moment

Feel free to show this fight to someone who says "WhY dOnT tHeY uSe WhEeLgUaRdS". One hit on my wheelguards bent them in and took out half of my drive. They got bent back after DM hit me another time with like 30 seconds left in the fight, but it wasn't enough.

Fight 5: vs Mondo Bizarro

I had to wait at least an hour or so before this fight. Mondo Bizarro had to fight two other fights to get up to my part of the losers' bracket. For this match, he took off the wheelguards so I had less area to get under. Unfortunately for him, my strategy is always to go directly into the weapon. I made him do a few somersaults and after a while he stopped working. Another win for me.

Fight 6: vs Squishy

If I won this fight, I was guaranteed to make the top 3. Squishy was different from last year, as it could now swap between an undercutter and a vertical drum. I ended up going with the wedge and he chose the undercutter. He stopped working towards the end, but got saved by the bell. I'm now guaranteed top 3 with Thunder Child once again.

Fight 7: Devastating moment (again)

DM previously got defeated by Silent Spring in the winners bracket final, and went into the fight without a working weapon (thanks Jamison!). It was an easy win.

Fight 8: vs Silent Spring (final)

First final with Thunder Child in a while, and it was a great way to end the event (this was the last fight of the event before everyone packed up and went home). Jamison used a disc especially for me. This was actually its inaugural fight, and I was honored. I was doing well up until the last 30 or so seconds, when the wedge got torn off. All of the screws were either taken off completely or sheared. The judges took a while to decide, and even asked to look at the damage to the bot. They gave the win to Silent Spring.

NOT ANOTHER WEDGE BOT

Not much to say about it. Went 0-2 due to drive issues and doing the thing. I didn't expect it to do well, and I was right.

Looking forward to SWORD next month, and my main focus is getting Thunder Child some new wedge mounts. It's clear that the UHMW ones aren't holding up anymore.

I'm also pretty happy about the switch to the pistol grip radio. It's definitely a keeper.

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2018, 10:57:25 am »
 Nice write up and good job at the event. I am running that same radio and it has worked well for me so far.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2018, 09:21:43 pm »
I think you might have left your sweatshirt at the pit table. It's dark gray with a white logo on the front. Did you lose one?

I can bring it to Moto if you want
-Zac

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2018, 04:08:15 pm »
I did not, but that one might belong to Dylan McCarthy.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2018, 06:26:17 pm »
You know, you might be right. I left a message in his thead here. If you want to ping him on Facebook he can contact me through here.

-Zac