May 22, 2018, 10:00:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mutually Assured Destruction  (Read 13106 times)

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Mutually Assured Destruction
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2017, 10:13:28 pm »

Time to go full Russbot

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2017, 01:34:11 pm »
This your Fairy?

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2017, 01:43:19 pm »
Hell yeah

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »
Looks good!

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2017, 03:19:21 pm »
New fairyweight that could be Denise 3 but I'm not sure right now.

Markforged Onyx for the body, and a .03" Titanium wedge. I still have some weight left over, so I'll probably beef up the wedge and wheelguards.

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2017, 10:29:48 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/TeamMutuallyAssuredDestruction/

I made a facebook page for my team. It won't take the place of SPARC, but I think it's a good idea to show everyone my progress throughout my robot combat hobby in an easily accessible format.

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2017, 07:18:44 pm »
All of my bots are done- I just need to grind down their wedges. It's quite difficult.

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2017, 01:34:03 pm »
Time for some updates

Slim Pickens has a new wedge. It was cut by myself with an angle grinder and Mike Jeffries cleaned it up/bent the sides for me. 1/16 Titanium

Made a pretty crude 150g undercutter. The body is 1/16 lexan spinning a 3mm bar that's 4.5 inches long. It hits pretty hard but I can only go up to like half throttle before its undriveable.

See everyone at Franklin

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2017, 03:27:00 pm »
Franklin Institute 2017 Event Report

Thunder Child had a disappointing 1-2 record, mainly due to unsharpened wedges and getting hung up on my own wedglets (I have some better ideas as to how to prevent them from folding backwards before PCT next month). First match was a great driving fight against Quicksand that I won. Second fight was a loss against the eventual champion Captain Doom- those forks he has are mean. Final loss was to Purple Nation Army in a close wedge match.

Slim Pickens got 4th place going 3-2. First lost was to the eventual champion FireArrow in a close decision- an excellent driving match against Dylan McCarthy. I then beat Commander Doom 2, Someone Else's Problem, and Wedgie before losing to Swamp Woman 2 after a close decision (one of the most entertaining fights I've had nonetheless). Only damage was to a gearbox that I've been running for years and a sheared screw on my wedge.

Thanks to Ed, Beth, and all of the people who helped put on a great event.

Upgrades for PCT include:

Countersink wedge screws on Slim Pickens
Sharpen wedges
Make a spare drive harness for Slim Pickens to reduce amount of soldering at the event
(Potentially) make new wheelguards for Slim Pickens
Find a better way to make sure my wedglets do not get me high-centered

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2018, 09:06:29 pm »
I've been on a quest to design wedglets for my beetleweight for several months. Right now I'm satisfied with my progress.

The outside ones are the D2 Wolverine claws sold on Botkits which are made out of S7. The ones on the inside were made out of 6061 aluminum. I just need to do a lot more grinding away at the excess material. When I fight drums or vertical spinners, I'm going to only use the D2 ones. At some point I'll make a whole set for using against spinners and wedges.

I designed them so that they won't move too far backwards and high-center the bot.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2018, 09:35:47 pm »
How mobile are you if the floor has seams or is made of wood? I had a lot of trouble keeping a heading when I was using a similar setup

-Zac

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2018, 07:32:04 pm »
All of the bots are ready for Motorama. The 12lb bot Alex helped me put together will be given to me at the event.

The newest build (Denise 3) sports a Markforged Onyx frame (thank Jerome!) with a shock mounted wedge that can be swapped for a plow depending on the opponent.

See everyone on Friday

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2018, 12:49:55 pm »
MOTORAMA 2018 EVENT REPORT

I brought 4 bots to this event:
Denise
Slim Pickens
Thunder Child
Not Another Wedge Bot

Denise:

vs Scooter

Going into this fight I was really nervous- his disc had a good amount of reach, and I was scared that he was going to chop my wheels off even if I used the UHMW attachment. I managed to control him during the entire fight and win the decision, despite losing almost all of my wheels. After the fight, my dad and I replaced two gearmotors.

vs Deathbell

Not much to say about this one. I had some sort of ESC issues and I was going much slower than the previous fight.

vs Demise

Demise ended up using the wedge attachment and I had the same issues as before. Denise ends with 1-2 like last year.

Slim Pickens:

vs Foiled!

I beat Foiled! in a grudge match last year, but I was still pretty nervous. Alex's bot is good at resisting attacks from wedges because of its ingenious use of an airfoil in its weapon. The fight was really close, and the judges had to inspect my bot for damage (there was none, except for some scratches on the wedge. They gave it to Foiled!, which I suspect was mostly due to the fact that he flipped me over.

vs Taco Annihilator

This fight never happened- Taco Annihilator had to forfeit because it had problems with its removable link.

vs Speed Wedge 1

Andrea is a good friend of mine, and I was excited to fight her for the first time. For the next few fights, I swapped to the anti-wedge forks. I knew my forks could outreach hers, but I was also nervous about her being able to outpush me. However, I ended up dominating the fight and moved onto the next round.

vs Fun Sized

Fun Size was a scary drum bot that I was really nervous about fighting. It lost its drum in the previous fight and could not be repaired in time, so it had a wedge attached to it. I had no problem bullying it around, and then stuck it in the gap between the wall and floor

vs Recharge

Recharge had previously won SWORD Fights in the fall with some great driving, so I knew I had to do my best to outdrive him. It was close, but I got the win.

vs Hercules

At this point I thought my run was over. Hercules was a well driven lifter that went undefeated last year. I was worried that his lifting plate would get under my forks, but I ended up pushing him around with ease.

vs The Highlander

The Highlander had just come off of a lucky win against Vile Ant, despite being reduced to pieces. Its builder ended up putting it back together, but its flipper wasn't working at all. It was an easy win.

vs Physique Black

Ian's bots are always tough. Unfortunately, I had to use my postponement for this fight because my drive did not work before the fight. I got it fixed with seconds to spare, and ended up losing. I got hit a few times, and then tapped out. Both drive motors came out of their mounting holes because I didn't have enough time to let the loctite dry.

Slim Pickens goes 5-2 for join 5th place with Angry Accountant

Thunder Child:

vs Meili

Meili beat me last year after one of my drive motors got unplugged. This year I was determined to get revenge. I box rushed him and knocked him around until he lost half of his drive and tapped out.

vs Just A Wedge

I was dreading fighting a D2 kit. For the past 2 events, Thunder Child's only losses were to D2 kits, and I knew Chad was an excellent driver. It went the full 3 minutes and the judges spent a really long time deciding. I won by one point, which I think was because I flipped him over a few times.

vs Silent Spring

There was a joke on the facebook group about how two builders with bots that have interchangeable weapons would end up having a stand-off before a fight. This actually happened. We spent a good three minutes swapping attachments. Eventually he used the horizontal and I used the wedge. It went alright for the first half minute or so, but then he flipped me over and got some good hits on my wedge. I ended up getting flipped back over, but I lost half of my drive. I tapped out when I got high-centered on my warped wedge.

vs Nitro Hornet

Dylan is definitely a solid builder, and probably one of my biggest "rivals" in the sport. I opted for the D2 wolverine claws this time. I ended up losing half of my drive during the fight, and was ready to tap out. However, Nitro Hornet got hung up on some debris, and was counted out. After repairing the damage from this fight, I realized I was out of spare motors. I knew that I had to be careful in my next fights.

vs Jason's Revenge

Jason Vasquez is one of the best insect builders (in my humble opinion) in the west coast. I had seen videos of his bots in action before, and his drum spinner was fierce. I went with the claws again, and was able to stop his drum (what I believe happened was the drum axle got screwed too far into the chassis). I was able to high-center him on the arena wall and get the win

vs Project Darkness

After the previous fight, my wolverine claws were chewed up and not flush with the ground at all. If I wanted to have any chance against Ian, I would need to get under him. Thankfully, someone brought a portable belt sander to the event. I spent a good few minutes grinding them down until I felt they were sharp enough. During the fight I got under him almost every time. I was doing well until I got stuck on the wall. Ian allowed me to knock the bot down, but it stopped working. I took it back to the pits and it started working again- I'm still not exactly sure what the problem was.

Thunder Child goes 4-2, placing joint fifth alongside Weta

Not Another Wedge Bot:

vs Odin

For most of the fight I got under him and was doing pretty well. However, I ended up losing power so I tapped. I had thought it was my removable link getting sucked up into its drum, but there was actually an electrical connection inside the bot that came loose.

vs Attrition

Attrition had just been sent to the losers bracket after its own drum exploded. However, Jamo brought a spare and was ready to go. About a minute into the fight, I ended up stopping his drum. He was still able to get under me, and ended up pinning me up against the wall.

Not Another Wedge Bot goes 0-2

Speed Wedge 30:

vs megatRON

Ian let me drive it for this match. I ended up taking Jamo to a close judges' decision, which I'm really proud of- especially for a bot I had only driven for less than a minute in the test box. Despite losing, I was really proud of my performance in that fight.

Plans for future events

-Slim Pickens will probably get redesigned so I'm less likely to lose gearboxes.

- Thunder Child will get a longer middle wedglets and a longer hex bolt for mounting attachments. I might switch to thinner lock nuts, too.

-Denise may be retired if Demise retires, because Denise can only exist if Demise does.

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2018, 01:01:11 am »
I've had the current version of Slim Pickens for almost 2 years now. For those who may not know, this bot was built for me by Kyle Singer. Now that my knowledge of CAD has improved, I am working on a new version.

This version (5.5) uses a unibody uhmw frame. The electronics are the same as before (TinyESCs, 2 galaxy 2S 180mAh lipos in series, HK receiver, FT switch). Wheelguards are 3/16 UHMW (subject to change). The wedge is going to be 2mm titanium. It's narrow enough to get underneath narrow drums like the Saifu kits.

Apparently I'm underweight right now (at .84 lb) so I'm going to double check and possibly make the chassis a bit taller and add some more wheel protection.