Author Topic: Team AstroBot  (Read 19845 times)

Jeff Gier

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team AstroBot
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2016, 11:55:00 am »
are you using the capacitor with these motors?  should take care of the noise hopefully, definitely says to use a capacitor on the kitbots site and the fingertech esc site.  I am close to building a bot soon with a spectrum controller and i want to use them..

Yes, I have been using at least one capacitor across the terminals with all of these motors.  With the KitBots motors I even tried several configurations with up to three capacitors, but none of them damped the electrical noise enough to make it drivable.

Same here. Didn't seem to help.

This is too bad.  I know these motors have worked well for me and many others.  Is it possible that something else is causing the problem?  My first guess would be that there is more than one BEC plugged into the reciever. .

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2016, 02:30:09 pm »
are you using the capacitor with these motors?  should take care of the noise hopefully, definitely says to use a capacitor on the kitbots site and the fingertech esc site.  I am close to building a bot soon with a spectrum controller and i want to use them..

Yes, I have been using at least one capacitor across the terminals with all of these motors.  With the KitBots motors I even tried several configurations with up to three capacitors, but none of them damped the electrical noise enough to make it drivable.

Same here. Didn't seem to help.

This is too bad.  I know these motors have worked well for me and many others.  Is it possible that something else is causing the problem?  My first guess would be that there is more than one BEC plugged into the reciever. .

That was my first song and dance too. replaced the transmitter, then the receiver, then the weapon ESC, then the drive Esc's. Tried doing one thing at a time and then testing, the only thing that didn't change were the motors. (this was all AT the event by the way)

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2016, 08:59:42 am »
Alright, so now for the BotBlast Recap:

Remember that comment that I made last week regarding the Silver Sparks in Gemini?
Right now Gemini is running 4 silver spark 22.2:1's, I'm really hoping it's not significantly under powered!

Well it turns out that I answered my own question, by ripping the gears to shreds in both Gemini & Aries. The motors didn't even hold up for one match. After speaking with our Pit Neighbor Jamison about the issue, he raised a very good point, we probably should be using foam wheels with the SS motors rather than the BaneBots wheels. This way they will slip a little more and not transfer additional torque back to the gearbox. I'm going to chalk this one up to a very poor decision and use it as a learning lesson.

If it wasn't for the drive motors in BOTH bots failing on us, the bots exceeded our expectations. Gemini had a GREAT match against Jamison's Silent Spring. We were able to keep the new wedges directed at the blade and we charged in to receive the pain over and over again. But all we ended up with were some nice scratches in the wedge and some light cuts in the UHMW. Then the gearboxes started to die one by one. Gemini slowly became harder to drive until finally it was left in the corner like a sitting duck. We asked if Jamison wanted to free us and he gave it a good try without going for a kill shot (Thank you by the way!!!), and he was successful, but still no drive so we were forced to tap out. Still, we are proud to be able to say that we left the arena essentially only receiving cosmetic damage from what I feel is by far the best engineered Beetle I've seen in awhile.
Corrective action for Gemini, need larger gearmotors & going to switch to foam wheels. NO design modifications needed.

Aries was placed in the bracket right where we wanted it, all wedges. I say this, only because I wanted to see if the drum would cause the 3D printed ABS layers to delaminate on its own or not. Good news is, no self delamination. Bad news was the gearboxes were toasted. So just going to make some small tweaks to the chassis design to better make use of the weight and change to foam wheels.

All said, I think we are going to try and make it down to Franklin this year. Who knows, we may even have a 3rd bot with us!

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2016, 12:39:22 pm »
Managed to get my hands on some 5/16" Polycarbonate (for free). Anyone have any opinions on using that instead of UHMW on the side rails of Gemini?

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 12:30:13 pm »
uhmw is better for armor that spinners will be directly hitting.  polycarb will get chipped away and crack etc.  uhmw just  deforms and absorbs

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »
Anyone know of a Beetle build with this setup? Looking to see what gearboxes play nice with which brushless motors.

Ian McMahon (Speed Wedge 3, etc) has one named Super Veloce. Saw it at Moto, it ran really well.
TEAM IGNITION
Sparkplug
FireArrow
Nitro Hornet
Spinjitsu
Salamandra

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2016, 10:37:35 pm »
poly makes a great inner rail where it would see direct weapon contact. very stiff, strong, and holds a thread well. NEVER use locktite with it ever.

-Kyle

jwfoss

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:05 am »
poly makes a great inner rail where it would see direct weapon contact. very stiff, strong, and holds a thread well. NEVER use locktite with it ever.

-Kyle

You can use Loctite it just needs to be the right kind: Loctite 425 Assure Plastic Fastener Blue Threadlocker

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 12:10:25 pm »
We are looking at going to Franklin this year. Need all you Franklin Veterans to share which hotels are the best in the area. Ideally not looking to be across town or in a "bad" section.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2016, 12:15:37 pm »
I stay in king of Prussia. The holiday inn on north Gulph road is my preference but I stayed at the best western last year and it was good too and a bit cheaper. It's like 20 -30ish minutes in to the event and lots of food around. I usually hit wegmans cafe for breakfast the morning of the event because I leave before hotel breakfast is ready.

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2016, 02:22:34 pm »
Thanks Zac, What time do you leave in the AM to beat the traffic, or isn't it all that bad on a Saturday morning?

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2016, 05:54:21 pm »
I think this year we got out of the hotel at 6:15 and hit Wegmans cafe for breakfast, then left there by 6:30 or so. The ride was about 20-25 minutes so that got us in the door at 7:00. The museum opens at 9 so I like to be through safety well before then. It takes a little while to load in and get set up and I always get distracted with all the cool people around.  No elevator in the building goes to all the floors of the building because it was built piece by piece.

Somewhere I heard we're in a different room this year but I can't seem to find that anywhere. The best bet in past years has been to park right in front of the building on N 20th street between winter and race.  There's a pull-off area there you can unload and haul stuff in easily and there's nobody around. Then drive down to cherry street, hang a right, then right on 21st street, then right on Winter. The parking garage is on Winter IIRC.  You could just hit the parking garage right when you arrive but you'll end up hauling your stuff a long way inside if you do that.

Glad you're gonna make it.

-Zac

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2016, 12:09:23 pm »
Has anyone developed a clean way of increasing the bore diameter of the FingerTech foam wheels? I'm looking to modify them for a custom hub assembly and need to take it from the 10mm to about .875". OR any ideas on a clean way of doing it. Obviously it's just foam, so it shouldn't be overly complicated.
I just don't want to reinvent the wheel (sorry for the pun).

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 02:15:56 pm »
I would try a thin walled hole saw.  I cut some foam this way at work and it worked great.  you can probably buy one in .875 diameter off mcmaster

Kexchers

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 10:16:04 pm »
Has anyone developed a clean way of increasing the bore diameter of the FingerTech foam wheels? I'm looking to modify them for a custom hub assembly and need to take it from the 10mm to about .875". OR any ideas on a clean way of doing it. Obviously it's just foam, so it shouldn't be overly complicated.
I just don't want to reinvent the wheel (sorry for the pun).

Lowes, home depot and most hardware stores I've been to have had 7/8th arbored and non arbored hole saws. They're kind expensive though, usually between 7 and 15 bucks.