November 18, 2017, 07:02:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team AstroBot  (Read 7454 times)

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
Re: Team AstroBot
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 07:42:08 am »
They're beautiful, whatever they are.
These are wedgelets for our bot Gemini. Everything was 3D printed ABS in past versions, and while it held up OK, I wasn't very happy with. So they should be much more durable now!

Those are some tasty wedgelets. Aluminum I assume?
Yep, 6061. Gemini was always massively underweight, so it just made sense to upgrade the material of the wedges. Also going to switch the rest of the wedge design from spring steel, to Ti.

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 01:06:48 pm »
So BotBlast was a number of weeks ago, and it was a Blast (imagine that) & we were able to meet some new and old builders. A change for this BotBlast from the many in the past, was the match time reduction to 2mins rather than the standard 3mins, due to the sheer number of bots and the time constraints of running a one day event. All in all it was a change that didn't really seem to effect much and overall I feel the entire event ran very smoothly, once everyone got through safety that is! Anyway, on to the bots.

Since the beginning our goal has been to test the limits of what can be successfully 3D printed with ABS in combat robots (at least in the insect classes). So far we have a good amount of test data that we can report.
One thing we first tried with Gemini was to print the little wedges, while they held up alright on their own and were easily replaceable after each fight. They simply could not hold threads for any armor when they were being beaten on by spinners. The spinners would grab the metal, and rip the screws right out of the plastic. Version 2 of this used a nut on the underside with machine screws, but simply was not the best solution. So on the most recent version that was at BotBlast, we moved to solid 6061 aluminum wedges to which we mounted titanium wedge armor. Overall the bots have held up from some decent its very well! Oh and Acetone is your best friend!!!

Overall Gemini performed better than we could have expected, and went up against some great spinners with not too much damage and kept on trucking. In the end it came down to wedge vs wedge and after the beating we had taken (After this fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfRzHVqvyaQ&index=21&list=PLeHQ17nuH71ZLalPLKaQZZkROMqkK7YCy) we simply didn't have the time to get our wedges back in tip top shape, and ended up losing the 3rd place spot to Thunder Child (which Gemini won against earlier in the day).
At this point, Gemini needs to be fully rebuilt. All of the bot guts moved from Version 1 to Version 2 unchanged for Moto '15. Then nothing but the wedges changed from Moto '15 to BotBlast '15. Now the chassis has a few chunks taken out of it that have been acetoned back together which is fine, but it's starting to be a little worn. Also from the beetle rumble we lost 3 of the drive motors.
Moving forward I think we will try 4wd again, but with 2 motors.

Scorpius was yet again a huge disappointment, despite somehow winning a number of lucky fights due to judges decision. This thing was plagued with electrical problems since Moto '15. We thought we had it finally figured out, put in the arena for safety and guess what, their back! Overall the bot didn't change from Moto '15 except replacing the drive motors. The reason we didn't change anything was to give it some more time in the arena so we can figure out what needs changed in the design. Well we figured out a big one, we forgot to turn on the CG in Inventor and this thing is WAY to front heavy! So much so it gets little to no traction so it is nearly impossible to drive.
Moving forward this needs a complete redesign to shift the weight of the bot, might also try a friction driven weapon similar to Zac's bot Scurrie.

And then we have something new in the mix for the ant-weight class. Currently in the early design phases but it looks like a bot! We're keeping this one under wraps for now, but true to form the plan is to heavily use the 3D printer.

Below are some of our videos from BotBlast '15, courtesy of Kyle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t434hscF6Yc&list=PLeHQ17nuH71ZLalPLKaQZZkROMqkK7YCy&index=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44O7VbXuIdE&index=7&list=PLeHQ17nuH71ZLalPLKaQZZkROMqkK7YCy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bconFURw9KA&index=11&list=PLeHQ17nuH71ZLalPLKaQZZkROMqkK7YCy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfRzHVqvyaQ&index=21&list=PLeHQ17nuH71ZLalPLKaQZZkROMqkK7YCy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1KW1YoF_8&index=23&list=PLeHQ17nuH71ZLalPLKaQZZkROMqkK7YCy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpB9Mvyxqd4&index=38&list=PLeHQ17nuH71ZLalPLKaQZZkROMqkK7YCy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUooI1cQpcc&index=36&list=PLeHQ17nuH71ZLalPLKaQZZkROMqkK7YCy

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 08:50:45 am »
Hello Fellow builders!

It's been almost a year since our last formal update, so I thought now is as good a time as any.

Gemini has been totally redesigned and rebuilt. (no 3D printing this time around)
The main weakpoint from the previous builds that we focused on this time were the wedges. If you are building a wedge bot, you best have some quality wedges. In the past we failed to create quality wedges, which ultimately lead to lost matches. This year, they are new and (hopefully) improved!

We are also working on a new Ant, that will hopefully debut at BotBlast (in 4 days). We've had the 3D printer going almost constant for the last week trying different prototypes. We'll just have to see if we can get it done in time!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:01:14 am by TeamAstroBot »

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 10:38:18 am »
Looks good. Brushless belt drive?

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 12:34:52 pm »
Thanks, nothing nearly that fancy right now. Hoping to see how the tank style construction holds up. Right now Gemini is running 4 silver spark 22.2:1's, I'm really hoping it's not significantly under powered! We were running the 1000 rpm Kitbot motors, but was not happy with the quality or the level of electrical noise (maybe I am overly picky though!).

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 06:05:34 pm »
I can't blame you on the electrical noise issues.  My original design for a beetleweight was pretty similar and was also supposed to have four of their 1000rpm motors, but I'm not going to use them for anything besides target practice after I found that the electrical noise from them made the bot practically un-drivable.  At this point I've gotten and tried 1000 or 500 rpm motors from KitBots, ServoCity, and Pololu since they are all essentially drop-in replacements for each other.  The KitBots 1000rpm motors were noisy enough to make the ESC randomly go to full speed for a split second (which burned out one of the motors as well), the Pololu 1000rpm motors didn't seem to give me any issues with electrical noise but I decided that I wanted more torque than the motors gave me, so now I have the the ServoCity 500rpm motors which are still a bit noisy but controllable and give me the torque I wanted.  It might be too late for this year's BotBlast, but if the silver sparks aren't cutting it there are a couple of other decent options that are drop-in replacements for the KitBots motors.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:41:24 am by AmbientChaos »

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 07:24:21 pm »
what about this motor.  anyone tried it?

https://www.botkits.com/collections/all-products/products/22mm-dc-gear-motor

i want to try it myself but its 3x the cost of the noisy kitbot motor yall talking bout

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 08:57:23 pm »
What ESC did you use? I'm using a mini Scorpion and I haven't had any problems.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2016, 01:00:03 am »

i want to try it myself but its 3x the cost of the noisy kitbot motor yall talking bout

I personally haven't but I know people who have and they like 'em.

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 03:35:32 am »
What ESC did you use? I'm using a mini Scorpion and I haven't had any problems.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

I haven't used the Scorpion Mini, but I had my issues using the KitBots motors with first the Scorpion Wasp and then the FingerTech tinyESCs, and when both had the same issues I switched out the motors which seems to have solved the issues for me.  I guess there are some ESCs that would be more tolerant of motors that generate a lot of electrical noise but the two I tried were not, so I wound up finding motors that made less noise before I found ESCs that could deal with more noise.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:47:33 am by AmbientChaos »

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 09:12:33 am »
Gemini had been running the Botbitz 10A esc since the beginning, and had NO electrical noise issues (for what its worth). However, our bot Scorpius was running the Fingertech TinyESC's, and was plagued with issues for 2 competitions before I finally realized what the problem was. So moving forwards, I have lost my trust in the Kitbots 1000rpm motors, and will refuse to use them.

I have been considering using these as well:

However, I am far more interested in a brushless drive setup. Anyone know of a Beetle build with this setup? Looking to see what gearboxes play nice with which brushless motors.

MarkHarrison

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »

They work well. Very similar to the kitbot motor. They all have issues with noise though. Mine work fine on my Futaba, Frsky, and Team Associated radios, but glitch like hell on my Spektrum and Orange radios.

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2016, 08:10:54 pm »
are you using the capacitor with these motors?  should take care of the noise hopefully, definitely says to use a capacitor on the kitbots site and the fingertech esc site.  I am close to building a bot soon with a spectrum controller and i want to use them..

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2016, 03:37:46 am »
are you using the capacitor with these motors?  should take care of the noise hopefully, definitely says to use a capacitor on the kitbots site and the fingertech esc site.  I am close to building a bot soon with a spectrum controller and i want to use them..

Yes, I have been using at least one capacitor across the terminals with all of these motors.  With the KitBots motors I even tried several configurations with up to three capacitors, but none of them damped the electrical noise enough to make it drivable.

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 07:47:19 am »

Yes, I have been using at least one capacitor across the terminals with all of these motors.  With the KitBots motors I even tried several configurations with up to three capacitors, but none of them damped the electrical noise enough to make it drivable.

Same here. Didn't seem to help.