November 19, 2017, 09:00:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team AstroBot  (Read 7461 times)

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
Team AstroBot
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:11:46 am »

Current/Future Bots:

Gemini (V3)

Scorpius

Aries

Past Bots:

Gemini (V2)

Gemini (V1)

For now all info can be found here:
http://astrobot.webs.com/

Past build threads:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/cjrc/messages/?msg=3517.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/cjrc/messages/?msg=3550.1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:39:46 am by TeamAstroBot »

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team AstroBot
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:48:19 pm »
Excessive use of the Marquee! That's a 15 yard penalty

-Zac

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:15:49 am »
So over the weekend we managed to transplant all of the electronics from Gemini (V1) over to Gemini (V2). As of right now Gemini is fully operational and has been outfitted with style lighting! The only items left to complete for Gemini are the wedges and armor.

Scorpius is another story entirely. We need to complete the fabrication of the weapon assembly, which should only consist of drilling a few holes and pressing the bearing. We also need to wire everything up, program the Tx, make the armor, lighting, and keep it underweight!! The weight of this one is going to be a little closer than I like to push it, and will probably need some weight reduction performed.

This is all coming down to the last minute, but hopefully should only require a few more hours of work! We are also planning on arriving first thing Saturday morning so we can get through safety.

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:06:04 pm »
Gemini looks solid! Loving the rounded edges.
TEAM IGNITION
FireArrow (Antweight) 23-11
Nocturne (Beetleweight) 5-10 (Retired)
KnightShade (Beetleweight) 0-0
Landshark (Mantis) 1-2

Pennbots 2014 and Bot Blast 2014 antweight champion. Bot Blast 2013 Best Driver and antweight third place.

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 02:17:55 pm »
Is scorpius invertible?

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:32:38 pm »
Gemini looks solid! Loving the rounded edges.
Oh it feels much more solid than it's last appearance. It has progressed more since the pic shown above, I will try and update the photo in the OP tonight.

Is scorpius invertible?
It most certainly is (or at least should be!)

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:51:30 pm »
Latest build photos added to the OP. Scorpius & Gemini are now fully operational!!

Scorpius sounds like it is going to take off! Based on my calculations, the blade should be spinning somewhere around 6,000 RPM.

Both bots just need a few finishing touches now!

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 02:19:39 pm »
What motor are you using in Scorpius?
TEAM IGNITION
FireArrow (Antweight) 23-11
Nocturne (Beetleweight) 5-10 (Retired)
KnightShade (Beetleweight) 0-0
Landshark (Mantis) 1-2

Pennbots 2014 and Bot Blast 2014 antweight champion. Bot Blast 2013 Best Driver and antweight third place.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 04:42:38 pm »
Gemini looks like a padded room to me with all the soft, eggshell curves and the plastic window... Maybe that's the "Team Brain Damage" talking...

-Zac

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 06:17:16 pm »
it looks really nice.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 07:41:42 pm »
What are you using for a bearing surface in Scorpius? Is it a live or dead shaft?

-Zac

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 11:05:31 am »
Gemini looks like a padded room to me with all the soft, eggshell curves and the plastic window... Maybe that's the "Team Brain Damage" talking...

-Zac

We wanted a more solid construction so we tried avoiding any unnecessary sharp corners.

What motor are you using in Scorpius?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=26821
With a reduction of 3:1 to the blade.

What are you using for a bearing surface in Scorpius? Is it a live or dead shaft?

-Zac

The main design criteria was to use a dead shaft. Having watched plenty of undercutters, we wanted to avoid the typical pull that happens with a live shaft. This is our first undercutter design so I am sure we will have a fair share of flaws that need to be worked out with future revisions. The most apparent being the overall weight (its a little on the heavy side) As for the bearing surface, here is the link to the old forum that includes a section view. http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=cjrc&nav=messages&msg=3550.1&prettyurl=%2Fcjrc%2Fmessages%2F%3Fmsg%3D3550%2E1&gid=1890736933

The bearing is a needle roller, captured by bronze thrust bearings on either side. (the blade in the image, was just for weight purposes)

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:15:31 am »
So I am looking into making our own polyurethane wheels. Anyone have any experience with this? Good or bad?

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 11:47:49 am »
I don't really have any experience with this but if I were you, I'd mold/cast the rubber directly onto the wheel's body, similar to the Colsons, and make them a larger diameter so you can lathe them prefectly concentric to the bore of the wheel. Oh, and try and get a sample of the rubber to see if it's durable enough first.

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 12:11:45 pm »
I don't really have any experience with this but if I were you, I'd mold/cast the rubber directly onto the wheel's body, similar to the Colsons, and make them a larger diameter so you can lathe them prefectly concentric to the bore of the wheel. Oh, and try and get a sample of the rubber to see if it's durable enough first.

That's exactly what I am looking to do (making the molds and doing the casting). Just need to find a resource that I can learn how to do it!