September 20, 2017, 10:40:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Revelation Robotics  (Read 28956 times)

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Revelation Robotics
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 04:56:04 pm »
Hi All,

Here is my event report.

Fight 1: Cornerstone vs. Eleos

The first 5 seconds decided the match. It turned out that I was lower then the viper lifter, and you can fill in the blank.
Cornerstone is 1-0 :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjboyinX-Is&spfreload=10

Fight 2: Sky Rocket vs. Gyroscopic
Darn, Sky Rocket's first match is against Gyroscopic. After two hits my power switch is hanging out. I tap out, but just before I do, Gyro. hits my wheel and breaks the motor shaft.
Sky Rocket is 0-1 :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHiIccGYhsc&spfreload=10

Fight 3: The Ophidian vs. Low Blow
Not only did Sky Rocket have to face Gyroscopic first, but Joe had to face Low Blow! The fight went better than expected though. I think the video can explain it better than I can.
The Ophidian is 0-1 :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgmZlYpaVIY&spfreload=10

Fight 4: Cornerstone vs. Low Blow
Man, now I have to face Low Blow. The Lexan "wheel guards" did exactly what I wanted them to, only for the first hit. As you can see in the video. After that, the fight went just the way expected.
Cornerstone is 1-1 :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgmZlYpaVIY&spfreload=10

Fight 5: Sky Rocket vs. Jazz
I knew I had this fight unless something went very wrong. I would use this fight to see if my servo horn was stripped, but there is always a catch. The wheels I used to replace the ones on Sky Rocket were a little bit smaller than the other ones. The end result was this.
Sky Rocket is 1-1 :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdMZErilPXo&spfreload=10

Fight 6: The Ophidian vs. Eleos
A two hit fight.
The Ophidian is 1-1 :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VFso_4TEQg&spfreload=10

Fight 7: Cornerstone vs. Slim Pickens
As with Eleos, The first 5 seconds decided the match. I knew he was a very good and low robot. But I decided for a head on assault.
Cornerstone is 2-1 :)

Fight 8: Sky Rocket  vs. TPd
I had no idea if TPd was still able to spin. But I found out, (as did Dylan) that he is very hard to push around. But at the end I got the judge's nod.
Sky Rocket is 2-1 :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAmvrVIIE0c&spfreload=10

Fight 9: The Ophidian vs. Hercules
The Ophidian's first hit knocked one of Hercules' wheels off. But then, The Ophidian's bar came off. Pushy match from then on. Joe gets the judge's nod.
The Ophidian is 2-1 :)

Fight 10: Cornerstone vs. Cyclone
Round 2, Ding, Ding, Ding! I charge, and pinned Cyclone against the wall. His first hit disables his weapon, and (unknown to me, and I didn't realize until on the way home) takes the setscrew part of the lite hub off. I thought that something was wrong with the motor. But in the end I lost on a judge's decision.
Cornerstone goes home with a 2-2 record! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYoXt6-M7Tc&spfreload=10

Fight 11: Sky Rocket vs. The Ophidian
Now, I have to fight my little brother! It didn't turn out good for me.
Sky Rocket goes home with a 2-2 record. 4-6 overall.
The Ophidian is 3-1. :D

Fight 12: The Ophidian vs. Antelope
After the first 30 seconds, the bar falls off.
The Ophidian goes home with a 3-2 record. :D

The Antweight rumble: Cornerstone, The Ophidian, Poco Tambor, Firearrow, Puppy, and Kate the Rat.
The problem with the set screw being gone only hindered me a little bit (thankfully). But it scares me watching the video, how easily the wheel could have come off. Out of the six, there were three robots remaining. Cornerstone, Puppy and Poco Tambor. I was sure that Poco would win, but the judges let the builders decide, cheering style. Thanks to my Mom, the judges decided for Cornerstone! Yes, Cornerstone won Motorama's Antweight rumble! :D

I want to hand out a special thank you to Zac. He helped me and my Dad with countless things, plus giving advice though out the event. And thanks to NERC for putting on the show.

Right now I'm getting the bots back to normal, after that I'm thinking about a design for another antweight, a mix between Algos, and Nuff Said.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 05:57:45 pm »
Hello All,

I am almost back to normal from post-Motorama depression. I partly over came it by building a new robot.

Introducing: Arrow (no rip off intended Dylan)

https://vimeo.com/121399322

I built this guy using spare parts, and Cubit's chassis which is made of 1/16" stainless steel. Arrow also has a lot of pushing power, and weighs 15.75oz. it also uses 22.2:1 FingerTech Silver Sparks.

Any Comments/Suggestions?

Adam
Revelation Robotics

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 06:02:18 pm »
Without a wedge and those big square corners you're going to be taking some big hits from any horizontal spinners you face.  Building robots usually makes me feel better too :)

-Zac

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 06:08:12 pm »
THE NEW CRJ WALLBANGER

someone tell charles

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 06:38:36 pm »
haha i'm cool with it :)

It's kinda slow for the kind of design it is, and I agree with Zac about the corners. Other than that it looks decent.
TEAM IGNITION
FireArrow (Antweight) 23-11
Nocturne (Beetleweight) 5-10 (Retired)
KnightShade (Beetleweight) 0-0
Landshark (Mantis) 1-2

Pennbots 2014 and Bot Blast 2014 antweight champion. Bot Blast 2013 Best Driver and antweight third place.

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »
Zac, and Dylan,

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I only have enough weight for either the wedge, or the rounded edges. I decided to go with the wedge. But there is a lot of time between now and Bot Blast, so I'll probably get around to losing the weight and make rounded corners with some left-over UHMW. Also Dylan, that was not full speed for Arrow. I had to go slow to prevent hitting my mom's kitchen drawers. Any thoughts?

All,

I registered Arrow, Cornerstone, and The Ophidian for Bot Blast this year. Hope to see you guys there! I also may start a thread for an Autonomous NERF blaster, and a couple other projects.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 05:44:29 pm »
Not planning to enter Revelation? I didn't get to spend much time looking at it at Motorama but I bet the solder joints are still the biggest limiting factor in that bot.  A big (at least 40 watt) soldering iron with a big chisel tip will allow you to make better connections with the larger wires. What you have is fine for doing small work on circuit boards, but when you just need two big wires to be joined together and conduct a lot of electricity (like on your weapon motor) then hotter is often better.  The iron I was using was 80 watts. I use it to make battery packs too, but for your stuff 40w would be fine.

-Zac

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 07:34:45 pm »
Hey Adam, is Sky Rocket retired or just not at Bot Blast?

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 03:47:44 pm »
Hi Zac,

For Bot Blast I am going to make an attempt to have Revelation face someone as a grudge bot. And I think he will stay that way unless I need to fill the brackets or something.

Nate,

No, Sky Rocket is not retired. I just thought that I'd give him a break.

All,

Today I sharpened the wedge on Arrow and it looks pretty good. It is so low that it makes a horrible screeching sound on my wood floor (which my mom just loves).
Also I should mention that the wedge is made out of Lexan.

Suggestions? Questions?

Adam
Revelation Robotics

MikeNCR

• Near Chaos Robotics
  • Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • nearchaos.net
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 03:51:22 pm »
Hi Zac,

For Bot Blast I am going to make an attempt to have Revelation face someone as a grudge bot. And I think he will stay that way unless I need to fill the brackets or something.

Nate,

No, Sky Rocket is not retired. I just thought that I'd give him a break.

All,

Today I sharpened the wedge on Arrow and it looks pretty good. It is so low that it makes a horrible screeching sound on my wood floor (which my mom just loves).
Also I should mention that the wedge is made out of Lexan.

Suggestions? Questions?

Adam
Revelation Robotics

If you've got the time and materials, making spare wedges would be a good idea. The lexan is nice and durable, but against heavier spinners it'll end up looking pretty rough by the end of a long fight so being able to swap in a fresh one for the next match will be handy.

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 04:43:33 pm »
hey adam i'm making an article on kits in the near future. can you take a group photo of sky rocket, cornerstone, and the ophidian? i'd love to use it for the article

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 08:09:59 pm »
Nate,

I'd love to take a pic. of my bots for you. I'll take it as soon as possible. I also just found out that the 22.2:1 gear ratio of silver spark motors are going to be discontinued "because of unresolvable quality issues." Better find a sub. quickly. Just buy them while you can. Also keep in mind that Cornerstone was built from a servo article from FingerTech's website. http://www.fingertechrobotics.com/images/servo201210_build_an_antweight.pdf

Mike,

I will definitely make some more wedges for Arrow.

All,

I thread locked the screws holding Arrow together so vibrations won't un-screw them.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 08:14:24 pm »
wait really? theyre being discontinued?

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »
I'm with Nate here. I was gonna order a bunch of them for FireArrow V2 soon, guess I'll have to do it fast before they get discontinued.
TEAM IGNITION
FireArrow (Antweight) 23-11
Nocturne (Beetleweight) 5-10 (Retired)
KnightShade (Beetleweight) 0-0
Landshark (Mantis) 1-2

Pennbots 2014 and Bot Blast 2014 antweight champion. Bot Blast 2013 Best Driver and antweight third place.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »
The Silver 22.2:1's are the only ratio that has one internal gear loosen apart.  I estimate it has happened to 3~5% of them, but that's too high for bots that are meant for competition.  FingerTech has high standards, and that ratio doesn't meet them so it's gone.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics