Author Topic: Revelation Robotics  (Read 101495 times)

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Revelation Robotics
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2015, 07:36:00 am »
Yes, I plan to bring some ants, and maybe a beetle... will be posting designs soon!

Adam
Revelation Robotics

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2015, 05:54:21 pm »
Yes, I plan to bring some ants, and maybe a beetle... will be posting designs soon!

Adam
Revelation Robotics

That's great! I was worried you guys wouldn't be showing up.

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2015, 04:02:10 pm »
Hi Guys,

I Just looked back on my robot's records:

Cornerstone 17-8 (Ranked 6),

Justice 6-3 (Ranked 36),

Ophidian 5-8,

Arrow 3-5,

And Bulwark 3-5

Not to shabby. I will be posting drawings of my upcoming 3 pounder, Son of Thunder very soon.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »
Hi Guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this page. So here is what has happened since:

Joe 3D printed a maker bot like Make’s mascot,

For Christmas I got some 1000rpm gearmotors for the upcoming beetleweight: Son of Thunder.

Me and my brother also made DIY gammer kits,

My Dad made an ornament of Ophidian for Joe,

And I also made a cell phone controlled sentry gun.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year of robot building!

Adam

Revelation Robotics

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2015, 01:17:28 am »
It looks like you folks aren't going to be at Motorama. We'll all miss you!

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2016, 07:36:12 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have a couple questions for my Beetleweight:

1:  Would the shaft of a Kitbots 1000rpm motor be long enough for the 4mm Snap hubs when mounted to a 1/8" piece off Al. with button head 4-40 bolts? If not what about a piece off 1/16" Al.?

2: How would one attach interchangeable wedges to a 1/2" piece of HDPE?

3: What would be better: 2 MiniDUO ESCs http://www.operativerc.com/products-miniduo.html, or 4 Tiny ESCs?a

Thanks as always.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2016, 09:49:05 pm »
That MiniDuo looks slick!  It's cheaper than a pair of fingertech TinyESCs but you won't have spares available at the event if you blow one up. It also isn't likely to be as combat tested. Just some things to consider. I think both would work well for you.

I think the shaft would be long enough when face mounted to 1/16" AL for sure, probably .125" also but that is awfully thick for an inner support on a little robot. I thought I was the only one who did that!

I usually make little plastic clamp mounts for my 1000 RPM motors, which allow me to support the front and back of the motor and adjust the front-to-back alignment of it within the bot easily. It's also easy to swap the motors out if the mounts are two C shaped pieces that pop apart. They can easily be made with a holesaw, some 3/8" UHMW, and a drill press. You could do it with a hand drill but it would be tougher. They do take up a little more space than a face mount though.

-Zac

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2016, 08:44:38 am »
If you haven't ordered them yet, I might hold off on getting the Kitbots motors, they gave me some issues when I tried to use them in my bot.  Apparently the brushes in them are very electrically noisy and cause ESCs to spaz out even with capacitors to cut down on the noise, but when I switched to a different motor the issue went away.  Both Pololu and ServoCity now have motors that have a nearly identical form factor to the Kitbots motors.  I can personally attest that the Pololu motors didn't give me the problems of the Kitbots motors, but the new ServoCity motors are intriguing since they are nearly the same price as the Kitbots ones.

psynnr

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2016, 05:46:38 am »
I currently run the Mini Duo in my Ant bot Bit Vicious with 50:1 pololu motors on 3s battery and have had no issues with them. Even ran 4s on then, but issue with weapon esc not the Mini Duo. Have used them in oven 10 events, 40+ matches on same esc. No calibration issues. Another esc to try is the Scorpion Mini Speed Control from ROVPARTS(http://www.shop.rovparts.com/Scorpion-Mini-Speed-Control-00040.htm). The D2 beetles run 4 B-16's at 3s and 4s, and is $35.

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2016, 07:15:02 am »
Thanks to Zac, Ambient Chaos, and psynnr for the help,

Would the Scorpion Mini Speed Controller run 4 motors? Has anyone tried this and it not go well?

I also just cut the HDPE front and back bumpers for Son of Thunder and I'm in the processes of cutting the Al. supports/motor mounts. Really, I will post pics. today.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2016, 07:05:53 pm »
Looking purely at the numbers for the stall current on the two motors I linked before I might say that it could run four of the ServoCity motors but the Pololu motors might be pushing your luck, and the Kitbots motors don't have much in the way of stats to compare.  Having said all of that, my first design iteration had four of the Kitbots motors hooked up to two Scorpion Wasp controllers, and it ran them just fine if you don't count the stuttering problem from the brush noise.

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:03 pm »
@AmbientChaos,

Just an FYI the motors i have are the kitbots 1000rpm motors. Thanks for the info. though!

All,

Ok, here are some pics. of what I have of Son of Thunder's chassis:

and here:

Tell me what you think.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2016, 09:28:53 pm »
Looks nice and square.  What are the aluminum braces that go across made of? It looks like they have ribbing at the bottom. That will add a lot of rigidity without adding much weight, which is definitely a good thing.

-Zac

tomchaps

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2016, 02:56:17 pm »
Is that half-inch UHMW, or 3/8ths? I just ordered my first bar of the stuff, and the 1/2" was heavier than I expected, but I was worried I might not be able to screw into 3/8ths...

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2016, 07:25:08 am »
@ Zac,

I actually got that Al. from an Al. window frame that my Dad took out during his construction side job. :)

@ tomchaps,

This is 1/2 HDPE, I'm sorry if this caused you to mess up an order or plans you had.

Adam
Revelation Robotics