September 20, 2017, 10:29:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Revelation Robotics  (Read 28954 times)

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Revelation Robotics
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 05:13:08 pm »
Here are the specs. 7.4v Lipo, 460mAh, and 20c. Here is the link. http://www.fingertechrobotics.com/proddetail.php?prod=R-2S-mAh

That battery can only support a 14A burst, so going from a 12A controller to a 18A controller isn't likely to help much. If nothing is getting warm then you're probably not stressing the battery or controller, meaning you aren't drawing too much current.

That sound you hear when it is trying to start up doesn't sound good. It sounds like the controller is unable to stay in sync with the motor. That either means the timing settings on the controller need to be adjusted or there is something preventing them from working together well. My best guess is that you have a bad solder joint between the motor and controller. I had this problem on a couple of my bots before I got better at soldering and it can manifest like this.

I originally thought you may just be asking more of that motor than it is capable of providing. Because it is 1100 RPM/v you're asking it to spin that 6 oz shell at around 8000 RPM, which I thought seemed a little high for a 100 watt peak motor and 6 ounce shell to me.  A quick guess at the dimensions of the shell and some time with the team cosmos KE calculator (http://www.teamcosmos.com/ke/ke.shtml) make me think that's about a 230 joule energy storage. 1 joule = 1 watt for 1 second, so 230 joules should be about 100 watts for 2.3 seconds. Assuming you'll have some losses because this is the real world, I'd still only expect 2-3 or maybe 4 seconds to spin up if you could actually put 100 watts into it for that long. Because of this, and the video you showed, I think that you are not getting the rated amount out of that motor. The motor or controller might be defective or the wiring in between. My bet is the wiring.

I'm planning to be at the competition friday morning to help set everything up. If you want, I might be able to help you with troubleshooting this bot in person. It'd likely be too late to actually enter it but we could try.  If you are hoping to enter it you'll have to get rid of that extra weight this week.

-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 05:25:51 pm »
I just threw a spare 40A brushless controller in that we can test with at the event if we need to. It'll likely be too heavy for your needs but probably ok if you end up doing a grudge match with the bot.

Make sure you practice turning the bot on and off, doing the safety inspection, and charging your batteries.  A mock safety inspection is an easy thing to do at home and will let you work on fixing any problems you run into without the pressure of running out of time. You already are watching your weight, which is a great start, but you need to make sure you do a failsafe test too now that many of your bots have active weapons. 

Also make sure you make a check list for all the parts and tools you need to bring with you so you don't forget anything. I've been building bots for a while but I still found a few things I forgot when I was packing today that my checklist reminded me of.

-Zac

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 05:09:03 pm »
Thanks Zac, :)

The plan was to have him as a grudge bot anyway. It looks like there are a lot of grudge bots coming. Should I get another battery? I also just made a parts & tool list. FYI the brushless and ESC have gold bullet connectors on them. I will also bring a Multi-meter.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:41 pm »
you can still enter him you will just have to pay the fee. the paperwork for builders is what has to be done way in advance.
-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 06:34:04 pm »
did the controller and motor both come with the bullets already attached? If so, it probably isn't a problem with your soldering after all.  Does your multimeter let you measure current up to around 10A or is it one that only does very small current? Would be interesting if you could measure the current during spinup on any one of the three motor leads. Maybe put the shell on upside down so you can measure it and have the shell weight on.

-Zac

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 06:38:47 pm »
It could still be a faulty solder. I've had issues with the connectors on hobbyking motors before. try re-soldering them if you can.
TEAM IGNITION
FireArrow (Antweight) 23-11
Nocturne (Beetleweight) 5-10 (Retired)
KnightShade (Beetleweight) 0-0
Landshark (Mantis) 1-2

Pennbots 2014 and Bot Blast 2014 antweight champion. Bot Blast 2013 Best Driver and antweight third place.

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 06:29:46 pm »
Kyle,

I don't want to enter Revelation into the real competition, he will probably get destroyed. Plus running 4 robots at Motorama will be a nightmare. Also a grudge bot is just fun. Are you bringing Ladybug?

Zac and Dylan,

The Motor came with connectors already but I soldered the ESC connectors on. I will try re-soldering them as soon as possible

All,

Here is a pre-Motorama update:

Sky Rocket

I installed a FingerTech power switch, and made a full wedge from leftover titanium. But besides that it is unchanged from the last time it competed.

Cornerstone

I also installed a FingerTech power switch in Cornerstone. My Mom also did the name on the front.

The Ophidian

The first (real) spinner Revelation Robotics has entered into a competition. This should be fun.

And you all know where Revelation is at the moment.

Adam
Revelation Robotics
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:30:04 pm by RevRobots »

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 06:42:52 pm »
I won't be bringing lady bug because I was trying to save some money on reg cost.
your pics are nice but they need some re-sizing

add width=800  to the first part of the img code like this
[img width=800]

-Kyle

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:43 pm »
Hello All,

Mwahahahah! It works!

https://vimeo.com/119997411

I re-soldered the bullet connecters on the brushless and by golly, the darn thing works. :D
YAY!!!

Adam
Revelation Robotics

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 07:18:38 pm »
Good to hear.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 07:52:11 pm »
I re-soldered the bullet connecters on the brushless and by golly, the darn thing works. :D
YAY!!!

Way to go on getting it running! Your shell is more balanced than I expected.  It's still making sounds that I think are a little odd but it's a definite improvement.  If you want I will try to take a look at the solder joints again at the event to see if we can get it really screaming.  The feeling of successfully making that first custom weaponed bot is like nothing else I've ever experienced.

-Zac

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 12:53:41 pm »
Hello All,

So I put Revelation together last night, and weighed him. He was 1.2oz. over-weight. :P I got him down to .6oz. over-weight by shortening the wires, and getting rid of the connecters. Is .6oz. over-weight ok for a grudge bot? If not, I'll weight (bad pun) for Zac tomorrow morning, to make sure I don't do anything stupid.

See everybody tomorrow!  8) :D

Adam
Revelation Robotics

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 04:45:40 pm »
I wouldn't think .6 oz over is going to be a problem for a grudge bot, even in that weight class.  The trick will be getting the other builder(s) to agree to fight you but that shouldn't be hard.

-Zac

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 05:09:58 pm »
I'll fight Revelation with FireArrow if it's still in shape after tomorrow's fighting.
TEAM IGNITION
FireArrow (Antweight) 23-11
Nocturne (Beetleweight) 5-10 (Retired)
KnightShade (Beetleweight) 0-0
Landshark (Mantis) 1-2

Pennbots 2014 and Bot Blast 2014 antweight champion. Bot Blast 2013 Best Driver and antweight third place.

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 06:16:11 pm »
wait is revolution supposed to be an ant?