November 15, 2018, 12:17:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team haciM  (Read 1218 times)

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team haciM
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 10:09:00 pm »
Likewise Kyle. Well I tore everything down tonight to do some more damage assesment. Five of the button head screws heads blew off during my fight with other disco. If I keep the aluminum chassis I think I am going to use all flat head screws. Right now I am trying to calculate if I could make a steel chassis in about the same amount of weight. I ran the banebot p60's that would work with 550 and 775 motors. The nose of the motor wiggles around in the bore even thought the screws were lock-tited an the adapter collars were in. Does anyone know if this is a problem for this style or do the dedicated 775 gear boxes suffer the same issue? Thanks!

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 10:22:46 pm »
If you're running the 550 motors then the little tiny face screws just aren't man enough to hold that heavy motor in a horizontal spinner. I always add rear motor support (UHMW blocks, foam, etc) to help. Even then I have to tighten them every couple of fights.  I always used the dedicated 550 boxes (there were not either/or models available when I bought them).  In triggo I was exploding the magnets in the motors every fight so I made the entire gearbox and motor assembly shock mounted (including packing the back of the motors in supporting foam) and drove a belt with it. This helped reliability a lot. It's a little tricky to implement though.  The 775 motors have much beefier face screws but also heavier motors, so they have the same issue with the high-G horizontal hits.

I use flathead screws for almost everything. They aren't as strong as button heads for pullthrough, but in my experience heads getting beat up, scraped off, or unscrewed by being reached by the other bot / floor are much more common failures. I've had almost no pull throughs with an aluminum baseplate.

-Zac

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »
I was running 775s with a support on the back of the can. I think I will get the 775 only mounts once I go through the boxes. With the space avalible I probably can't shock mount them.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 08:22:29 pm »
You can buy just the mounting blocks for a few bucks each to give it a try. Unfortunately you'll also find testing a horizontal spinner like that in a way that reproduces the issue can be challenging without wishing you had better insurance. How exactly where they coming loose? If you had rear support on the motor, did it pull the motor toward the gearbox or just wrap around the diameter of the can? I can't remember which of the styles your bot had because Alex did something similar on his.

-Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 10:23:47 pm »
plate on the back clamping it to the mounting plate. I'm still amazed how bent that ar400 got...

Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 07:07:19 pm »
Got the gearboxes apart and the screws were loose. I was just wondering if the motors fit a little tighter in the regular 775 plates.
I was also surprised how the bar bent and everything else didn't explode. I ordered a small chunk of titanium to make a new weapon shaft as the aluminum one did bend slightly. Hopefully I can make it work.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 11:47:40 pm »
Are you planning to bore or tap the new to shaft? Having tension across the frame plates will keep the whole thing much stronger but working with the ti stinks. Tapping is especially rough so get the right tools for it.

I am often amazed at the carnage caused in the arena. That bar of yours looked very sturdy, but there is so much energy in the weapons in this class. My shells used to always band at the point where the hub stopped and the top of the shelf started, so I added some gussets there and that helped a lot.  Not really a viable solution for you, but maybe leave a little more meat around the hub? It looks like it been fairly uniformly so that might not be of much use.

Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »
S7 or even ar500 will be more resiliant to bending like that, that much bend doesn't look like a geometry issue, I'd say material or thickness is to blame.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 09:30:31 pm »
There will be boring and tapping of the titanium. A guy I work with has a big lathe and used to make r/c car parts out of titanium. He will help me out so that is a bit of a relief.
I probably will get a shorter, thicker bar cut out for the vertical spinners. I wanted ar500 but the places that I got quotes from said they couldn't get it.

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 12:46:17 pm »
Alright time to get busy. I registered for avc in september and am in the process of buying a house that currently has no garage. So now I have got to get all of my milling done before it goes into storage. I got all of the side pieces milled to height. The front plates are also going to be the motor mounts. This will save some weight and make replacing motors much faster. I am making doubles of everything in anticipation for motorama as well because I probably won't have much spare time come the end of June.

satacoy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team Cosmos
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 01:28:30 pm »
Glad to hear you're going to make it out to Colorado, Micah!  Looking forward to seeing the new and improved Beam.

Pete - Team Cosmos

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 03:27:59 pm »
I am looking fowrard to it!

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 11:17:57 pm »
Having spares won't hurt you any at AVC either. Good luck!

-Zac

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 10:49:34 pm »
Ready to go for avc! Still a few things that I would have liked to do, but not enough time for this go around.
Hmm I cant seem to add any pictures
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:53:11 pm by Team haciM »

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 01:30:16 pm »
AVC was a good time! I met some great people there and the competion was fierce! BEAM held up quite well structurally, but I fried a few weapon motors. I have some more improvements to make to get it dialed in. When I go through the videos I will do a few recaps of what happened.