June 20, 2018, 08:40:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team haciM  (Read 623 times)

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Team haciM
« on: February 26, 2018, 11:14:30 pm »
 After seeing battle bots return to tv I started looking up bots on the internet. My interest was growing in building something, but at the time me and my wife had sold our house so that meant no garage. Last december we moved into a garage apartment so I got my mill out of storage and put some digital readouts on it, now I was set ro build! I saw some motorama videos and figured a featherweight would be would build. My original plan was a shell spinner with cheap drill gearboxes an ev warrior and a kobalt 24v power tool battery. I soon ruled out the shell spinner as I didn't think I could package everything in the space, have it sturdy, and make weight. I decided a bar spinner would be the easiest thing to make. My original plan was to have it similar to the british bot NST. Looking at more bots i noticed the drill gearboxes probably wouldn't be great in modern combat so I got some bane bots gearboxes and 24v motors. I also did some more research into batteries and learned that the cells in the kobalt probably wouldn't fare well with the potential current draw. At some point in here I got a little hf lathe to make the hub and shaft. A 5" piece of round stock in a 7x10 lathe was interesting, but the end result was great. The design kept shrinking down to keep the weight in check. I was originally going to make the bar out of aluminum, but I decide to try and make one in cad. It probably took me about 5 hours to design it as I had no experience with cad before. The weekend before leaving I shaved about 13oz so I could add the titanium armor on the back. During the entire build there was never a drawing but I put alot of thought into making everything as beefy as I could and make it fit. It was a very fun project.
 Motorama was a blast! Everyone was very nice and helpful. I was very nervous not knowing what was going to hold up and what would fail after spending so much time building it. Zac, Earl, and Alex all helped me out and gave me advise, very cool! BEAM blew away all of my expectaions! I can't wait to see all of the videos so I can remember what happened in all of the fights.
 I am already thinking of things that need to be changed and improved. Hopefully everything will work out so I can build a sportsman as well! Thanks for reading and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

-Micah
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:26:50 pm by Team haciM »

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team haciM
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:01:28 pm »
You made a very impressive first appearance for it being your first bot, especially being in the 30lb class where just about anything can get destroyed in 1 hit. It'll be cool to see what you come up with in the future.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

jamisong

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:25:56 pm »
BEAM YEAH!

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 07:51:19 am »
Thanks Andrew, I definatly need to make it more resiliant to vertical spinners. Some little bumpers to keep it from becoming a turtle on its back would be good too... I did figure out megatrons weakness so I'm not worried about going up against Jamison again. I am actually surprised no one else saw this...

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 10:33:21 am »
MegatRON also is slightly allergic to powerful vertical spinners XD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL-nl-Z2TCc

Also looking forward to what you have to bring to the arena next. BEAM was definitely a standout.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:49:06 am »
I just figured you could pay someone 5 buck to sneek up and cover his eyes at the begining of the match ha ha.

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:55:28 pm »
here are some build pics

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 09:59:12 pm »
more

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 10:00:49 pm »
more

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 10:03:04 pm »
more

satacoy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team Cosmos
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 02:48:06 pm »
I always kick myself when I see these sorts of build reports, forcing me to realize how over-complicated my designs always turn out.  Keep up the good work!

Pete - Team Cosmos

jamisong

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 10:14:03 pm »
Thanks Andrew, I definatly need to make it more resiliant to vertical spinners. Some little bumpers to keep it from becoming a turtle on its back would be good too... I did figure out megatrons weakness so I'm not worried about going up against Jamison again. I am actually surprised no one else saw this...

I am curious to know more about this obvious weakness :P

Team haciM

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 09:52:43 am »
I always kick myself when I see these sorts of build reports, forcing me to realize how over-complicated my designs always turn out.  Keep up the good work!

Pete - Team Cosmos
Thanks Pete. I enjoyed looking at the bots and seeing how the did things differently. People pushing their skills and abilities no matter what level they're at makes things interesting.

I am curious to know more about this obvious weakness :P
I just figured you could pay someone 5 buck to sneek up and cover his eyes at the begining of the match ha ha. 
Thats it, if you can't see it you can't drive megatron so dang good ::)

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 08:54:33 pm »
I can hardly believe a bot that was that solid with so little wasted space was created without a drawing. I sure had a lot of fun hanging out with you at the event and look forward to the next batch of scary stuff coming out of your shop.

-Zac
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:42:16 pm by zacodonnell »

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 09:09:28 am »
Hey Micah it was great to meet you at moto and its awesome to see the build report stuff you are putting up. It's an awesome bot and a reminder to why we all love the sport so much

-Kyle