Author Topic: Team Cosmos  (Read 5246 times)

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team Cosmos
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2020, 06:08:03 pm »
These kinds of projects are so cool. Your sensor description and trying to come up with a way for it to fit into a fighting robot reminded me of one of the earliest build reports I read after making my own robot:
https://madoverlord.com/wiki/doku.php/madoverlord:robots-battlebot

People have been doing neat stuff in this space for a long time. I think the sportsman class opens the door up a little more for this kind of thing, even something like meccanum wheels, because you don't have to face the giant spinners. I look forward to more people taking advantage of the opportunity to branch out into this space more. I like the spinners as much or more than the next person, but for a totally different reason. All-out destruction is fun, exciting, and showy, but also expensive, time consuming, and short-lived. Sportsman bots with custom control systems, sensors, and interesting weapons are cool for the engineer part of my brain rather than the entertainer part. I bet you could find a use for some of these techniques and concepts in there.

I'm especially interested in the setup you have for monitoring and telemetry. I've done some basic Arduino serial writing to debug the systems on Magneato, but I never took it as far as you did with a real time output graph, interactive commands, etc.  I always seem to run out of time to do that kind of tuning (just like you) but have never been ambitious enough to aim that high yet.  The 3d printed enclosures around the components are a nice touch. It makes it way easier to leave the wire/connectors on there and pull it out of a tool box to use as an actual tool. I'd love to add telemetry, status, and performance logging stuff to my machines at some point. Even just the graphs that come from the Castle ESCs can be fascinating when tied to the video for a fight.

satacoy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team Cosmos
Re: Team Cosmos
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 12:00:51 pm »
It is fun to read those old build reports. It's amazing how far some technology has come, and how some of those early ideas still haven't been fully realized.

I don't know if you remember our Sportsman from 2007 bot that used IR sensors to fire the hammer.  We had all sorts of fun with software simulators, then using the telemetry from the microcontroller to help us optimize our hammer speed ramp for quickest possible fire.  Unfortunately the hammer was too heavy, and it was less than impressive in real life.  Very Chomp-ish in a lot of ways.

Maybe it's time to get back into the sportsman at Moto.  I still enjoy the kinetic bots too, and really want to get my latest 12 pounder working a bit more, uh, functionally.