November 18, 2017, 07:17:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: best filament for armor  (Read 127 times)

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
best filament for armor
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:20:02 pm »
I printed my first beetle with 3/8" thick solid infill PETG which promptly shattered into many pieces after battling some spinners.

I reprinted it using nylon 910 which worked much better but also was still failing near the impacts.

I started to think that some of the lower strength (but more flexible) nylons such as 618 or 645 could be better for armor since you are basically trying to emulate solid UHMW which will just deform and never fail.

Has anyone come to similar conclusions and what 3d printed armor do you use?

Coboxite

• Roboteer
  • Made with real lemons
    • View Profile
Re: best filament for armor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 01:29:08 pm »
Taulman Bridge is like 910, but is way more flexible. If you have a hardened nozzle and an all metal hot end, you might want to try out the various carbon fiber filled nylons(Nylon X, Onyx, Carbonite to name a few)

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 05:27:59 pm »
NylonX and similar seems to be all the rage lately. The other side of things, is you can only expect so much from printed parts. If the parts are in a spot that will take direct hit consider covering the printed part with something like titanium to spread the load.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:50:36 pm »
My coworker was raging about NylonX too. 

If you check the failure mode on this video @ 2:20 you can see its very stiff and then finally shatters. I think nylonx, oynx, (910 to a less degree) etc. are super good then for structural components of the chassis since great stiffness and tensile strength.  but not for armor.  cause for armor, you never want something that will shatter.  the weaker but more ductile nylons will be good for that I THINK!  idk why i couldnt wrap my head around this sooner.

obviously when you compare it to titanium its not great armor, but since its 1/4 the density, you just make that armor 4x as thick and it will get pretty messed up but still hold together.

https://www.matterhackers.com/news/filament-strength-testing
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:55:02 pm by daggius »

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 08:07:17 pm »
I'd think bridge (same brand as alloy 910) would be good armor for that reason, but nothing beats hardness, aka metal
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:52 pm »
agree bridge is pretty good but some nylons are more durable than that,  see PCTPE or nylon 230 for example:

http://taulman3d.com/how-to-choose.html