November 22, 2017, 08:11:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Dream parts would you choose for a heavy weight?  (Read 203 times)

SuckerPunchRobotics

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
What Dream parts would you choose for a heavy weight?
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:49:06 am »
We are building a new heavy weight and I want to know what each one of you would put in it? Don't worry about money just pretend you have a "Blank Check" and you can have the best. So what's your best motors, drive train, wheel, treads, speed controllers, pneumatics, electronics, radios and batteries. Armor will be titanium grd 5 with a powerful high-pressure pneumatic weapon so dream big here to boys!

Dream big and please indulge us as to why you picked these products and/or designs. Dream big BUT remember it has to fit in a 250 lb. bot.

REVISED-

COME ON BUILDERS !!! Why are there no replies? Does no one have a wish list? Does no one here build heavy weights? Really disappointed in the lack of answers or opinions.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:34:52 pm by SuckerPunchRobotics »

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: What Dream parts would you choose for a heavy weight?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:47:42 pm »
This forum isn't especially active all the time, it mostly gets busier right before one of the bigger competitions.  You might try the Facebook Combat Robotics group, it's pretty active and helpful.

SuckerPunchRobotics

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 11:14:08 pm »
Thanks, in my other hobby the boards are always active. We have a game plan but ones always a little apprehensive when choosing a drive and ESC system that they've never used. BIMBA looks like they sponsor us again so that's good. New team members after 14 yrs of being dormant!  Saying thing have changed in these last 14 years is an understatement!  Thanks for the tip. Be safe. Pat

Nutball

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:39:25 pm »
Any progress yet?

Blank check? I'd design my own ESC. Actually I have, I just never had the blank check  :(  I'd have to say I'd custom design everything, maybe even a sensored non comutator type "brushed" motor with a 6 phase rotor and 6 phase stator, which might withstand massive surge outputs in a tiny package. I might even try to use liquid or solid co2 for cooling. MGM ESCs look pretty good, couldn't go wrong with their stock models

Electric is just great, but ICE is almost a must because of the great energy density of the fuel and the high continuous output without much sensitivity to overheating. With one you could continuously charge batteries and/or air tanks. To be honest, I don't think I'd use air power as a main weapon.

I'm about done designing what I think is the best heavyweight, it sucks I won't get around to building it though. I hope your bot turns out well.