December 13, 2017, 12:29:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCRC Arena Upgrades 2017  (Read 1454 times)

srw

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: SCRC Arena Upgrades 2017
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2017, 03:05:37 pm »
Scott, these are all control box related.  What do you need to make them happen?

4. A new control box that can run fights independently of a laptop (but can still take laptop inputs, etc).
This is actually in slow progress.  I got a donated Pelican 1400 case with panel frame.  This is exactly what I wanted, so I'm happy about that.  I have started ordering parts to build an entirely new control box.  My initial goal is to build an exact replacement but better, and with expansion thought in.  The "run independently" is a good goal, but I'm not sure how achievable it will be before September.  It will require a complete rework of both the computer software and the box firmware.  I want to see that, but I'm going to suggest we don't attempt to do it for September.  One of the bits that will make this possible is the addition of an LCD screen to the box.  That is in my initial plans.

6. Audio system with cues from the control box
I'm considering this and it will be an addition to the new control box when it happens.  I don't think we need much for this... a chinese computer controlled mp3 from sd card player is only a few bux.  I probably have a few in my junk bins already.

1. ...displaying schedule, brackets, and highlight videos (on the TVs).
This is done already, isn't it?  Do we need to tweak it or add something?

5. New arena lights - 12V RGB LED strips that can be controlled via control box.  Possibly individually addressable.
are we married to the idea of RGB for the general lighting?  I haven't actually researched it, but my hunch would be that RGB aren't as bright as just normal white LEDs.  I love the idea of colour accents, but could that be a separate thing from the boring white lights?

7. Run permanent ready/tap out cables inside frame with connectors on the end.
I'm putting this on hold until I've had a chance to start testing out the RS485 stuff.  If we can wire everything RS485 it will make wiring so much simpler.

11. Hazard motors run from ESCs
I have all the bits.  I just need time on the arena.  Maybe need to discuss options, here, too.  Do we keep the solenoids in addition to ESCs?  Do the solenoids act as the "safety" cutoff? (see next question)

13. Door lock interrupts so the control box can disable hazards and not start fights until locked.
I have no idea what we would need for this.  Some sort of mechanical or opto switch that is triggered either by all four doors being in position, or of the two pins being in position.  In my opinion, this should be readable by the control box, but they should also disconnect the hazard motor drive somehow outside of software. 

17. 3 judging tablets/phones, tied into the laptop software.
15. Ref controlled count-out trigger
This will require tablets, and Nathan and RevEng to coordinate on getting it done.

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 09:55:39 pm »
1. Four TVs on top of the arena for displaying schedule, brackets, and highlight videos.
Does anyone have a large flat TV they can bring in Sept?

3. A 2ft metal post/stand that raises the spinning red light above the sponsor signs.
Who wants to earn some easy brownie points?

12. New 12V battery and charger
I'll purchase them, but what do we need?

I have a ~40" TV I can bring.

I will handle the post/stand. I have some iron pipe and mounting flanges that I think will do the job. (maybe we glue a big magnet to the light?) I also have one of those quick release pins. 1/4" dia by 2.75" pin length. The balls are not really aggressive at all, I'm not sure they will be any better but we could test it. I'm looking at making a small Mcmaster order next week so we could look there too.

I believe the current battery was 12V 42Ah so we probably want something at least that big.

Darkwynter9

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 11:34:03 am »
Travis, let me know if you want a big magnet for the light. I can give you one along with that carbon fiber (which I haven't forgotten about).