September 19, 2017, 09:59:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Flippers/Lifters, Anyone with Pneumatics look  (Read 150 times)

Captain Tetanus

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Flippers/Lifters, Anyone with Pneumatics look
« on: July 13, 2017, 12:55:05 am »
Alright so I am in the design and gathering of parts process on a 30 pound flipper wedge, loosely in the spirit of Wheely Big Cheese. The pneumatics are the most daunting part of everything, what to buy, where this part goes, how to keep it all from turning into a bomb, so I figured I had better reach out.

The geometry and engineering required is first in my mind, I included some chicken scratch drawings to better visualize what I am trying to communicate.

Figure 1            Figure 2
A. Ram side mount                 A. Ram side mount
B. Frame side mount                         B. Frame side mount
C. Hinge location (loosely)              C. Pneumatic ram doodle

Figure 1 shows the side view with the flipper fully extended. Figure 2 shows (very poorly might I add) this as well but from the front of the bot. In figure 1 and 2, A) would be the ram side mount, hooked to the frame work of the hinged flipper's structure. B) is the solid frame of the bot, where the body of the ram mounts. Both mounts will allow for the ram to pivot up and down freely when the ram is activated and retracted. These (clearly) arent exact, just drew them so someone who isnt me may better understand. Bear in mind when the weapon isnt deployed the ram rides parallel to the ground, sandwiched between the flipper deck and frame/bottom side armor.

My questions are pretty straight forward.
1) By having the ram mounts able to pivot when the ram is on its way up and down will I achieve the path of movement I have outlined for the weapon?
2) Where would my measurement points be to determine the ram length (compressed and stroke length)? I assume just measure mount to mount with the flipper held in place at its maximum position would figure stroke length and mount to mount again with the flipper in its stored position.
3) How slim would my margin of error be in regards to measurements of ram movement?
4)While inverted, will the bot still be able to throw opponents (less effectively no doubt)? I realize there is variables here in terms of the quality and strength of the pneumatics
5)What kind of dimensions should I make this bot or expect it to end up at? Ball park figures are fine here, never seen a 30 with my own eyes before so I dont know how big what I am looking to scoop up and throw is. I know this style of flipper is longer and narrower than and say a drum bot but I have no baseline for scale of a "normal" 30.

Materials havent yet been bought but I have kind of a shopping list and I wanted to run it past those who have been there and done that. ram
2 way, 5 port solenoid pilot valve
Main tank I envision would be for a paintball gun, buffer maybe a smaller paint ball tank or very small fire extinguisher.

Have also read that on board air compressors make the system easier to construct thoughts on this? Lastly I need recommendations on a regulator, I am thinking again on off a paintball gun or even a gas BBQ one if thats possible...I have three, for some reason, sitting in my garage 8)

Lets hear your thoughts! Links to parts would be awesome too!   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:22:32 am by Captain Tetanus »

MarkHarrison

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Flippers/Lifters, Anyone with Pneumatics look
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:37:13 pm »
For a first pneumatic bot, I would get a working mock up of all the parts and plumbing before doing too much design work. I had a lot of re-work and wasted parts on my first pneumatic bot because things didn't work out in real life they way I thought they would on paper.

Also, 1/4" ports are going to be real slow for a 30. I would go with at least 3/8" - preferably 1/2".

Captain Tetanus

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Flippers/Lifters, Anyone with Pneumatics look
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:55:24 am »
Mark,

Yeah ive heard you basiclly build a flipper around the ram and plumbing. Guess I am just worried the concept wont work. I was also afriad the 1/4" ports would be too slow acting.