January 21, 2018, 09:37:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twisted Sick Robotics  (Read 25380 times)

satacoy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team Cosmos
Re: Twisted Sick Robotics
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2018, 12:02:30 pm »
Great!  That was the item we were most concerned about.  Thanks!

Pete - Team Cosmos

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2018, 04:19:56 pm »
And I can bring a drill press. Anything else big I should bring? I have a secret pass so I get to drive right in.

-Kyle

satacoy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team Cosmos
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:31 am »
Awesome, thanks!

I think the rest of our big items are very likely to be there, since they're so common.

Dremel
Clamps
Hammers
Hacksaw
Vise
Heat Gun

Pete - Team Cosmos

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:57 pm »
Well  I received my steel parts from discount steel the other day. Just a tiny bit of welding and everything will be ready. The balance point of the axe right where the little x is. After handling it a bit I decided to just save some money and effort and just run one of the large motors for it. One motor was enough to swing a very heavy and long chair, it will do just fine here. plus I was having minor concerns about the two motors syncing up. With that change I have made the bot a little shorter just to save some material.
Here is where I am at now.

-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2018, 09:05:17 am »
I really like the counterweighted axe idea.  I see you borrowed my cleat idea for the outriggers on the back of the robot. I'm very curious to see how much kickback you get with this bot.

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2018, 10:51:20 am »
I feel the cleats are a must with this bot. I just couldn't work out the design to be long enough for what I wanted.

-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 14, 2018, 11:05:28 am »
I'm curious to see if they will provide the benefits in this geometry that you need. With the flipper I'm throwing a bunch of weight forward so the bot tries to kick pretty much exclusively backwards, but with the hammer head rotating around the interaction will be much more complex. I think it will help a lot to prevent the bot from kicking backwards, but I'm curious to see how much it will help to keep the front down.

I like the gratuitous weight utilization in the shield on the front :)

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 14, 2018, 04:27:41 pm »
The shield was just a dumb stylistic idea I had at first. But I think it's going to be great at blocking other hammers as well as a little extra ballast.

-Kyle

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2018, 08:54:02 pm »
got my mcmaster order in the other day and started cutting material. I started with roughing out the frame bits of 1/2" UHMW. I then cut out a bunch of blanks for the wheels. I'm trying the bike tread wrap on UHMW rims thing. The blanks are 3" dia and i'm hopping for 3.5" with tread but my yellow tire has not arrived in the mail yet. The rims machined up real easy on the lathe, the inside boring was a little annoying but the finished product looks good and comes it at nice and light 6oz. The last thing I worked on was the main weapon hub. I turned it to size and bored it out for bushings.

I probably won't get to work on anything until this time next week. I'm flying out to Vagas for all of next we for work.

Pictures:

-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 20, 2018, 09:01:36 am »
How did you do the internal cut on the UHMW? Rotary table on the mill would make it a breeze, but on the lathe isn't it hard to keep the chips cleared out inside the bore? Did you just make a square HSS cutter? I really like the idea of that kind of wheel.

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Today at 01:14:07 pm »
I just used a three point boring bar. It gave a nice large chanfer on the inside corners. I set up my dials so I know what dimensions I am aiming for and just blind bore keeping an eye on my numbers. I would have preferred the do it with the rotary table but the set up time would have taken longer then I wanted

-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Today at 03:09:51 pm »
I'm not sure I understand. Remember, I'm a computer geek, not a machinist :). Were you using a mill or a lathe? I have a single point boring bar for my lathe, but I can't see how the three point version would work in a mill without a rotary table. 

-Zac