September 20, 2017, 10:24:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twisted Sick Robotics  (Read 22243 times)

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: Twisted Sick Robotics
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 04:00:14 pm »
i would say use the uhmw for the rails unless you want to take material out of the ti and the back al piece. Also supporting the back of you motors helps a lot with shock.

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 04:15:37 pm »
the back already has big pockets, supporting the can is a planned upgrade. but I have had magnets break inside the can without the motor coming apart.

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 04:29:40 pm »
It might of been a defective motor.... i think it there was that much shock to break the weapon motor magnet the drive would of cracked as well.

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 06:57:01 pm »
the hit just bent the face of the drive motor can way out, didn't actually break the magnets. they are mounted on the out side rails though. it was the last hit of this fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEa9qB8lffM I hit Cataclysm when he was against the wall and all the energy went back into Ripto. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:10:00 am by Koolaid64 »

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 07:00:08 pm »
The UHMW will open up around the shaft pretty bad, even in 3/4" form I'd bet. To combat that you might be able to make some small flanged aluminum blocks that you can use to mount the shaft, then sink them into the aluminum and bolt them in place to spread the load.  If you leave enough meat around that I don't think you'll break the UHMW - it is really tough.

The shock problems are breaking your drive motors right? If you put some foam between the drive motors and the frame rails that keep them from tearing off the gearboxes it could help a lot. You are awfully tight on vertical clearance though so there may not be space.  Definitely use a metal pulley for the motor this time :)

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »
I already have 3 this time around. I have been thinking about making alu hubs to cradle the shaft, I'll have to see where i'm at with weight first. Right now i'm planning to make a nylon end cap to hold the weapon motor on tight. And I will be making uhmw supports for the drive motors.

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 07:25:42 pm »
what if you made the rails out of 1/4 aluminum the previous ones are 3/16 ti right?

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 07:28:28 pm »
they are 1/4" Ti and I don't have that much faith in alu.

The uhmw rails are coming along nicely. I have a bit of work for tomorrow though

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:30:45 pm by Koolaid64 »

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 07:33:43 pm »
so since its made out of 1/4 ti you can get an equivalent of 3/8 al rails without pocketing them

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 07:40:43 pm »
I was considering 3/8 alu for the structure with some uhmw for the prongs in the back but I would have to remake more of the bot for it to work. Right now I'm liking how the 3/4" rails are turning out and they are a cake walk to machine. I'm also down from 14oz to 7.8oz per rail and i'm not even done with them.
-Kyle
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:43:50 pm by Koolaid64 »

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 05:40:48 pm »
I was considering 3/8 alu for the structure with some uhmw for the prongs in the back but I would have to remake more of the bot for it to work. Right now I'm liking how the 3/4" rails are turning out and they are a cake walk to machine. I'm also down from 14oz to 7.8oz per rail and i'm not even done with them.
-Kyle

I love me some UHMW. I'm interested to see how it holds up. 3/4" was enough to prevent the original Tetanus from biting into Mangi... and it is so light! Also, now it really looks like Ripto

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 10:42:22 pm »
been doing some work on the bot

just about finished with the frame rails. made a mount for the weapon motor, sunk some nuts into it to try and keep the wedge on, and made a pocket for the battery to fit.
I also made a nice support for the weapon motor. things feel pretty solid this time and i'm pretty confident I shouldn't break a motor just from shock.

it's starting to look like a bot again.

i hope to finish some stuff as soon as i get a day off work. but it might not even matter if I don't get my speed controllers soon. I order them Jan 3rd and still no sign :/
-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 06:42:49 pm »
What speed controllers did you order that you are waiting on? I might have a spare that would work for you.  I have a spare ICE 100, HK 60A with the giant heat sink, RageBridge, and maybe one or two other things laying around... Not likely to fit well, but maybe possibilities.

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:25 pm »
I ordered a bunch of botbitz 30s. The ragebridge is to large i'm afraid, plus I wouldn't feel comfortable using it. it's a bit to nice for a 12

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 07:14:20 pm »
getting close to the event horizon of not being able to order a backup... Unfortunately I sold my HH BR-XLs - they probably would have worked too.

-Zac