October 20, 2017, 12:01:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TinyESC with beetle motors  (Read 304 times)

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
TinyESC with beetle motors
« on: March 24, 2017, 12:28:05 am »
 I'm running two 1000 RPM botkits motors on my beetle with tinyESCs and I tried going from 3S to 5s to get more power from the motors and I actually noticed that I am getting less torque now.  My best guess is that since v=IR, it draws more current at the higher voltage  (is this right?), and that is causing overcirrent protection on the tinyescs to kick in, thus limiting my torque.

I think I need to get bigger escs or I'm also curious if it's possible to run tiny escs in parallel to double current allowable.  Thanks for any tips!

Side note, that would be a cool feature of the tiny esc in future generations, to have an indicator light if you are triggering over current , I've found the other led sequences on it really helpful for troubleshooting
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:31:13 am by daggius »

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: TinyESC with beetle motors
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:47:27 am »
Definitely want bigger esc's. Check the voltage range of the Robot Power Wasp but I'd certainly recommend them. Running 22mm motors on 4s was current limiting with tinyesc's so I'm certain thats what you're experiencing. 3s is about the max with those motors/esc's.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:15:54 pm »
Much thanks.  I'm new to beetles and this Robot Power ESCs are good to know about.  But I am going to try the BotBitz 10A ones at 4S for starters since I already ordered some.

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 07:17:15 pm »
thats another perfectly valid option. They're only rated to 12v, but I think I've heard 4s is fine
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies