August 22, 2017, 06:24:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Near Chaos Robotics  (Read 17249 times)

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Near Chaos Robotics
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »
The specs on their site say they only go to 3S, or am I looking at a different controller than the one you mean?
http://www.teamtekin.com/rs.html

-Zac

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »
Nope, that's the ones. They say that, but they work fine on 4S, at least for ~15 minutes on the drive motors. I've run a weapon that drew around 120 amps startup on them and they survived, at 4s, I just avoided stalling if I could.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 07:29:15 pm »
I think self-righting the robot using the weapon would qualify as stalling... and reliability would be the primary reason to switch so picking a controller that shows me out of spec is probably not the best bet. I spent a little more time on their site and found another controller that would fit in my footprint and should be way overkill (my favorite thing for ESCs) though:
http://www.teamtekin.com/rx8.html

It supports up to 6S, leaving lots of headroom. They say 200A but that's probably optimistic in practice but should still be way more than I need.

Thanks for putting me on to them. We'll see how it goes at Moto this year. I want to decide if this bot is going to be a real thing before dropping 200 bucks on a controller for it.

-Zac

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 10:00:43 pm »
I meant like sitting there twitching, it stalls when it hits stuff of course. The RX8 is a nice controller, but for ALL of Tekin's ESCs, you should DEFINITELY either make a non conductive block with holes for those fancy golden pins, to prevent them being bent, OR snip the most of the way off and of course make sure you don't have any bridges between the pins before you hook it up to a battery.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 12:24:27 pm »
I thought those connectors on this controller looked a little exposed. I try to "battle harden" all of my controllers by potting the leads in shoe goo and adding shrink wrap / electrical tape around all of the conductive areas. I've broken too many things trying to run wires and jam them in between components to trust the little solder joints to hold.  I may give that controller a shot - it's always good to hear from somebody who has used their stuff before in actual combat.

Bad things happen in robot fighting and arena debris is often conductive and sprayed all over the insides of the bots.  I did have a short to the baseplate in my sportsman last motorama where the heat melted through the insulation on the battery leads.  I have since improved both the insulation and wire gauge. 

-Zac

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 01:35:49 pm »
Yeah, I always use overkill wire, it's definitely a good practice. We used the RX8s on GTO and G6 for a year, we retired the bots after that to work on new stuff. They worked great, they were just pretty bulky compared to the RSs.

MikeNCR

• Near Chaos Robotics
  • Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • nearchaos.net
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 05:58:45 pm »
Here's the pre-Moto shot of Spanky:

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 08:42:20 pm »
do the bearings embedded in a spinning weapon like algos has get worn out from impacts? 

MikeNCR

• Near Chaos Robotics
  • Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • nearchaos.net
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 08:43:54 pm »
do the bearings embedded in a spinning weapon like algos has get worn out from impacts?

We'll find out at Moto. The bearings are rated for a fairly high load so I'm hoping they'll last a while.

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »

We'll find out at Moto. The bearings are rated for a fairly high load so I'm hoping they'll last a while.

cool.  they are just 2 flanged bearings that you pressfit in there facing opposite directions?

MikeNCR

• Near Chaos Robotics
  • Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • nearchaos.net
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 08:46:52 pm »

cool.  they are just 2 flanged bearings that you pressfit in there facing opposite directions?

Exactly, though it's a very slight press fit to avoid crushing the bearings. These are the specific bearings- http://www.mcmaster.com/#57155k305/=vwcijp

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 08:49:58 pm »
Yeah, bearings in anything that takes impacts will be damaged, but most people have spares. Its just a matter of time before they're needed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:52:15 pm by Lucas Grell »

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2015, 01:09:01 am »
Bearings will work fine they work in my 15's
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:12:05 am by Don Doerfler »

IanMcMahon

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 10:56:21 pm »
How did the bearings hold up? I used the 1/2" OD version in the ants and they went crunchy after 3 matches. I used the non-flanged version of those in the beetles, and they went crunchy at 5 matches but are still spinning fine just noisy.

MikeNCR

• Near Chaos Robotics
  • Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • nearchaos.net
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 08:22:39 am »
How did the bearings hold up? I used the 1/2" OD version in the ants and they went crunchy after 3 matches. I used the non-flanged version of those in the beetles, and they went crunchy at 5 matches but are still spinning fine just noisy.

Pretty similar results to the beetles, a bit crunchy but still spinning well.