May 25, 2017, 10:20:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Viper Vertical Spinner - Team Food Fight  (Read 7482 times)

emancarrillo

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Viper Vertical Spinner - Team Food Fight
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 02:04:17 am »
Finished this guy last week. I ended laser cutting the UHMW weapon mounts at my old Makerspace, when I went home for Christmas. It worked alright, the laser melted the edges a bit, but they supports work fine. I also ended up having a few supports waterjet as I was already getting some parts made. So I have those parts as backups.

I mounted the Multistar 2204 directly to the mounts and bolted the 4130 blade to that. The motor comes with some tiny M2 screws to bolt on the prop adapter. So those were swapped out to some longer M2's and the blade is sandwiched between the motor and the prop adapter.

After that it was tidying up everything. Spent a bit of time shortening all the ESC wires, and cleaning up all the wiring in general. I wired JST connectors to the motors to make swapping them at competition super easy and finally made sure everything was velcro'd down.

The final step was upgrading the graphics on the bot. I drew up a quick wedge graphic and applied it. It's just a spray adhesive mounted print with a layer of packing tape on top. Figured it would get dinged up, so didn't do anything too elaborate. But i think it adds  bit of character to the bot. The little kids spectating last time loved the tiny sticker I had before, so this is just taking it one step further.

The only thing left to do is to give the wheels a coat of RTV silicone and it'll be ready to compete this weekend.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:11:08 am by emancarrillo »

Coboxite

• Roboteer
  • Made with real lemons
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 03:00:15 am »
Looks like a big improvement. Best of luck.

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2016, 02:48:17 pm »
any problems with the motor breaking when you direct drive a weapon like this?

emancarrillo

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2016, 10:39:24 pm »
So Pizza Cutter didn't do that well. It went 0-2. Lost its first match, by getting stuck upside down. I swapped my battery placement from the last tournament and didn't realize it had an orientation that didn't allow it to self right. Second match I lost power a fews seconds in. Nto sure what happened. But that was my second lost and I was out.

any problems with the motor breaking when you direct drive a weapon like this?

The motor did eventually end up breaking. Shattered one of the magnets and it locked up. Debating on trying this exact same set up with jb weld on the can or trying something else. Next comp for Pizza Cutter isnt till June/July

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 10:05:50 pm »
I think jbweld responds slightly to magnetism (contains iron) so be careful using it to retain magnets as it might bunch up on the ends of the can.  I haven't actually tried it, but I remember somebody saying that a long time ago. There are several epoxies that do not respond to magnetism I'd guess. I used NHP 30 epoxy on my outrunners but they don't sell it anymore.

-Zac