April 23, 2017, 07:33:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Needle Bearing Mounting?  (Read 175 times)

18hvenhuizen

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Needle Bearing Mounting?
« on: February 01, 2017, 02:50:04 pm »
I'm trying to design a drum, but I'm not quite sure how I'm suppose to mount to my needle bearings. There will be a fixed shaft with three or four needle bearings attached somehow to my drum. The drum will have a pulley that will be attached to our motor via a belt drive. How do I attach my drum to the needle bearings? I can't exactly weld without damaging the bearings. Do I use a huh of some sort? What am I looking to do to attach bearings to a drum?

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Needle Bearing Mounting?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 05:04:20 pm »
what you need to do is called a press fit. make your hole about .002 undersized of the bearings dia. then use a arbor press to push it in.

-Kyle

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:37:23 am »
2 thou press might be a bit tight, but yes, they're held in with an interference between the bearing and part. To do this you'll typically use a reamer to ream the hole and press the bearing into said hole.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

Camo5

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:40:02 pm »
alternatively, if the bearings slide around and you have enough space, you can

a: put c-pins on each side of the drum and shaft (4 pins, 2 inner and 2 outer)
b: thread some holes super close to the bearing hole, so that the head of the screws overlap the outer bearing race, holding it in place.