September 20, 2017, 10:50:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Anarchy Robotics  (Read 3082 times)

anarchydude

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Team Anarchy Robotics
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:22:00 pm »
This will be the update base for Team Anarchy Robotics. I've been around the block a bit.. http://buildersdb.com/view_team_bots.asp?teamid=2(yes, that's team #2 on the Buildersd DB). My old, antiquated Microsoft Frontpage can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/20051217213616/http://www.anarchyrobotics.com/. I'll be eventually be making posts on www.jonathandurand.com (use http://jonathandurand.com/category/robots/ to see the three posts I made on my old blog, as well as check out other old blog posts imported from several years ago on other projects).

I'll be fielding two 30lb robots for Motorama 2017 and putting down the microphone as announcer (not completely of course..): Mega Conceptual Chaos and Wedding Gift.

Here's quick specs:

Mega CC
- Powerwheels drive - 11.1v A123, 9" wheels. Botbitz 80A ESCs
- 3/16" AR400 frame, 1/4" AR400 wedge

Wedding Gift
- Powerwheels drive - 14.8v A123, 5" wheels, Victor 883s
- Hodgepodge frame, threaded rod, UHMW, Aluminum
- DeWut powered lifter/hammer, undervolted to 14.8v for now.. (ESC TBD.. opinions needed!)
- Secret weapon (to be approved)

I'll go into further detail later this week, but I at least wanted to get this thread started. Looking to toss ideas out there and see what you think. Haven't done this in several years, so I'm a bit rusty! Still very pragmatic about it all though.

satacoy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team Cosmos
Re: Team Anarchy Robotics
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 04:29:15 pm »
Hey Jon!  Great to see you getting back into it.

I'm going to try to swing by Motorama as a spectator this year.  No promises, but I'll definitely say Hi if I make it out that way.

Pete - Team Cosmos

jamisong

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 02:56:54 am »
Awww yeah! I still remember reading all those build reports when I was younger. I miss Jr's site too... had some good stories there.

Who is picking up the mic then? volunteer service? elam?

anarchydude

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:29:46 am »
Pete, it'd be great to see you out our way! You can always guest judge a few fights if you'd like..  ;D  I do want to make it out your way some time for Bolder; looks like such a fun time (hope for next year?). This time around, it's such a balancing act. I'm still training for a marathon in March and 50 miler in April on top of this, and then have to financially recoup. Hoping the investments made now will hold up over a few tournaments so that I can do proper upgrades instead of bandages.

Jmo, there were definitely some stories of legend that are forever preserved; thankful that archive.org exists, and that I've saved quite a few videos. I don't have any other record of my old website! As far as announcing goes.. uh, I guess we'll wing it? I ain't too worried about it.

anarchydude

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 07:15:21 pm »
Took the day off from marathon training as I was coming down sick and had a back tweak.. Definitely wiped out!

Able to focus my efforts towards the bots today.

Got my steel in for Mega CC, and was able to weld everything up. Took me about an hour to do some maintenance on the welder, as it's been a while since it's been used. I tacked the wedge on just to see how things looked, but broke it back off for now until I correct the motor holes on the mill. When I got the frame parts, I realized I mis-measured the spacing between motor and wheel shaft on the power wheels GBs. Once the holes are corrected, I can start installing the components, and make a quick top plate of 1/2" polycarbonate. Should hopefully be done by next weekend (sans wheels.. may need help with getting some 9" UHMW wheels cut!), and ready for paint!

Broke down the frame for wedding gift, as I've got the UHMW in; I was able cut the UHMW frame members today. Awaiting the Dewut in the mail, the 18v Dewalt gearbox and motor has already come in as well along with the McMaster parts (shafts, bushings, etc). The whole size of the bot will be considerably shrunk from its previous state. Waiting on Surplus Center order of gears and chain.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 09:50:22 pm »
It's all coming together now...

How's it feel to be back in the game?

-Zac

anarchydude

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 11:12:57 pm »
I'm pleased how much planning is paying off, and know to build after I'm done training for a race next time haha. I'm at least finding the building phase to be good, and thankful I invested in proper equipment that I was lacking. Wished I had my drill press set up at my house!

satacoy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team Cosmos
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 11:18:36 pm »
Pete, it'd be great to see you out our way! You can always guest judge a few fights if you'd like..  ;D  I do want to make it out your way some time for Bolder; looks like such a fun time (hope for next year?). This time around, it's such a balancing act. I'm still training for a marathon in March and 50 miler in April on top of this, and then have to financially recoup. Hoping the investments made now will hold up over a few tournaments so that I can do proper upgrades instead of bandages.

If you make it out here for the Bolder Boulder, be sure to let me know.  I've been running it for a good long time, each year seems crazier than the previous.  Here's the running group from a few years back.

Pete - Team Cosmos

anarchydude

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:01:47 am »

If you make it out here for the Bolder Boulder, be sure to let me know.  I've been running it for a good long time, each year seems crazier than the previous.  Here's the running group from a few years back.

Pete - Team Cosmos

You and Donkey Slayer are the reason why! Pretty badass "gig" you guys get each year.

anarchydude

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:38:14 pm »
Got the UHMW frame pieces drilled out and mocked up last night. Looks like this setup will be the solution. Keeping everything in the center away from the saw blade sportsman bots, and centralizing weight near the rear. The spacing is such that I have enough scrap titanium around to do bumpers or shock mounted armor for the front, and do thin aluminum everywhere else without much weight. I'd ideally like to bump the voltage to 19.2/22.2 for the Dewut, as I know that's where it should be to be most effective. A question to ask, is what to use ESC-wise for the lifter with the Dewut? Can I get away with a BotBitz 80A? I know a Ragebridge would work, but I feel that may be too overkill.

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 11:00:13 pm »
nyx uses a ragebridge to ensure the motor stays happy, don't know if neccessary though, not a cheap option for sure (I have a 2 fight old one though if you want to borrow/buy...)
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 08:17:09 pm »
Whether it would work would depend a lot on your setup. If you run the motor in low gear with a 12" lever with no additional geardown then 80A will stall at 25 lbs so I'd say it won't do it for you.  If you have, say, a 4:1 reduction added on then you might be in decent shape assuming you don't stall the arm at the end of the stroke. Then again, even with a 4:1 reduction you'd hit 90 degrees of travel in less than a quarter second... so it might be tough.

Unless you have limit switches set up my guess is you're going to stall it in the rush of battle and it won't take very long to pop an unprotected 85A controller. I'd say either figure out a limit setup (maybe a potentiometer and your raspberry pi?) or pony up the cash for a current-limited controller :)

-Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 12:52:03 am »
Nyx also uses 9:1 reduction after the dewut and the speed looks pretty good, direct driving it would be a ballistic lifter, more of a flipper with a short arm I'd think.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

anarchydude

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 06:49:07 am »
nyx uses a ragebridge to ensure the motor stays happy, don't know if neccessary though, not a cheap option for sure (I have a 2 fight old one though if you want to borrow/buy...)

I'll hit you up on Facebook about that, I may go that route to be completely safe.

anarchydude

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 06:56:27 am »
Whether it would work would depend a lot on your setup. If you run the motor in low gear with a 12" lever with no additional geardown then 80A will stall at 25 lbs so I'd say it won't do it for you.  If you have, say, a 4:1 reduction added on then you might be in decent shape assuming you don't stall the arm at the end of the stroke. Then again, even with a 4:1 reduction you'd hit 90 degrees of travel in less than a quarter second... so it might be tough.

Unless you have limit switches set up my guess is you're going to stall it in the rush of battle and it won't take very long to pop an unprotected 85A controller. I'd say either figure out a limit setup (maybe a potentiometer and your raspberry pi?) or pony up the cash for a current-limited controller :)

For timing's sake, Rage will do. The Pi/Arduino would be a much more cost effective route in the end; timing isn't great for that experiment ;-)

I failed to mention that I was planning on gearing down the Dewut similar to Nyx. Due to sizing and availability from Surplus Center, I ended up with a 2.5:1 first stage, and then 3:1 second stage sprocket setup. I was looking for a formula to calculate out what type of current would be seen with the arm length. That will be the challenge since 12" will be at the minimum for the arm, as my thought was around 18". This whole keeping the "original look" may get thrown out the window ;-)