October 20, 2017, 02:10:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Non-wheeled rule 5.1.2  (Read 1477 times)

srw

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Non-wheeled rule 5.1.2
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:08:40 am »
Before I go to a lot of effort building a 2lb walker, I would like to confirm that this method of mobility would fall under rule 5.1.2 Non-wheeled and get the 100% weight bonus:

In a resting position, the bot has two "legs" in contact with the floor at four points.  The back leg tilts the entire bot left and right.  The front leg tilts with the bot and only one side of it remains in contact with the floor.  The front leg has rubber feet and pivots in order to drag the bot forward. (or push it backward)  The rear leg then tilts the bot the other way, and the front leg pivots back, completing one walk cycle.  By adjusting the gait, I am able to cause the bot to trend left or right. 

There are NO rolling elements in contact with the arena floor.  There are no continuous motion motors involved in the motion of the bot.  (aside from the incidental gyroscopic precession of any spinning weapon)  The motion is entirely caused by two servos which pivot back and forth in the proper pattern.

See the proof-of-concept in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Q2B_kZzX0

Is this good?

I am willing to have the discussion of whether this will qualify as a rookie or as a masters, but after we answer this first question first.

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Non-wheeled rule 5.1.2
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 01:33:26 am »
I think the grey area would be rule  "5.1. All robots must have easily visible and controlled mobility in order to compete."

How does one define "controlled"? What exactly does "trending" encompass?

srw

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:03:57 am »
I suppose that's a fair question.  It very clearly can travel forwards and backwards.  I guess I would consider that "visible and controlled mobility."  If you guys want it to very clearly be able to turn left and right... well, then it probably won't qualify.  I can make it go left or right, but it certainly won't turn on a dime.
I'd argue it's as mobile as Wrecks. 

thesaxmachine

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:10:16 am »
I would let it be considered a walker, or at the very least non-wheeled locomotion.  I also like the sad music.  Wouldn't controlled motion decided at safety?  It might be gray to weed out pinball bots which can't actually translate that well.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:18:07 pm »
The rules doesn't say how many dimensions you have to be able to travel in...  :)
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:27:57 pm »
I agree, it does seem to fit within the scope of the rules as written.

I could see it becoming a problem down the road if everyone starts building walkers that can't turn...but that seems unlikely and we can cross that bridge later...

DoesntMatterHadWrecks

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:46:16 am »
Got me to make an account; so basically you want to make a mini-wrecks?

https://youtu.be/ugB7w-0fPsA?t=1m9s

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 11:00:02 pm »