November 19, 2017, 09:02:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Beaverbotics  (Read 915 times)

Beaverbotics2

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Team Beaverbotics
« on: October 30, 2016, 04:10:35 pm »
So I finally decided to join a forum page. I have been wanting to join one for a while due too many of my friends joining them, and since I figured this would be a great place to share stuff and get help besides Facebook. This will be my first post ever, So I might as well introduce myself to those who don't know. I have been building Combat Robots for the past 5 years now, and have had.....well mixed success to put it bluntly. Still, I have had lots of fun!

Might as well show off the bots:

Current Bots:

UberSaw MK. 4 - Class: Antweight
The 4th iteration in my Ubersaw Line, and probably the best so far. The Original Ubersaw was a more standard 2 back wheel invertable Vertical Spinner using a saw blade, similar to team velocity's Middleweight Terminal Velocity. While it was my first bot  with an active weapon and my first antweight, was terrible due to poor weight balance resulting in my spinning in circles as well as a weapon that didn't work, resulting it going 0-2 at Franklin 2013. The second version modified the chassis to be a more VD like but, but once again didn't work and never competed. The 3rd version was a strengthened 2nd version, but this time around I made things easier by using the electronics from the Viper ant kit and spinner kit, along with some chassis upgrades. This time the bot actually worked, and got 3rd place out of 5 ants at WPI's MassD Event in January of 2016. Though it did end up destroying its own weapon at the event. For the newest version, I decided that the old chassis was no longer suitable for combat, and started anew. I was  enthralled with the idea of a nightmare bot after my love for the bot got rekindled after the new Battlebots reboot. This new bot reused all electronics from the previous bot, and had a new chassis. This version has been the most successful, going 2-2 at Franklin. All it's losses were to being flipped over, which along with somewhat exposed motors, is the biggest weakness. I am still very happy with him though, and I have 4 planned upgrades, which are a new Custom Disc and Hub to replace the saw blade, Carbon Fiber Rods Sticking out the side to Prevent tipping, Switching the FT Silver Sparks with the KitBots ant motors to save weight, and add some motor armor up front.

The Original Bot. Minus the kickstand as the weapon failed.

The Second Failed Version

The 3rd Version minus Electronics

Old Chassis Now
[url=https://postimg.org/image/5rhx4fv6x/]

The Current Bot After Franklin 2016

The CAD model of the Proposed Disc

Little Yama - Class: Beetleweight
My first real foray in to Beetle Bots. And boy does it show. This Chop Saw style bot uses a 195rpm ServoCity Gearmotor to power the Arm, 2 Kitbots 1000rpm Motors for drive, and a 30-35 1400kv NTM Motor for the saw. The saw uses a 60amp Turnigy Brushless ESC, while all other motors use the botbitz 10amp ESC. So far it's only event has been Franklin 2016. This attempt at a dustpan saw failed spectacularly. The main problem was LOTS of exposed Wires on the bot. In it's first fight, the bot's Weapon motor wires were shredded. Not just that, but I wanted to try and do the British way of power this time, and used a Manual Disconnect. Which was torn out VERY quickly. This crippled it for the rest of event, and the bot went 0-2. While not a bad bot, and still usable, I feel he needs a do over to make it better.

Retired for Good:

Lucifer: - Class: Antweight

My first "Antweight" bot. Nothing more than a BB toy hack. Was poorly modified and sucked. Moving on.

Bazinga - Class: Beetleweight
Of my 2 hack bots, this one wasn't actually that bad. It went 2-2 at Franklin 2011, and then went 3-0 at Franklin 2012, winning the whole thing. Then bad luck struck as he was permanently retired after 2 knockouts at Franklin 2013. Still, for being nothing more than  a toy with a titanium plate up front, he wasn't that bad.

The First Version 2011:

The Final Version 2013:

Final Resting Place:

To Be Rebuilt

The Red Shpee - Class: Antweight
The original was made of scrap parts and was a joke entry. The second version was a viper kit with the lifter. Never won a fight. Still, I have the Frame leftover, and could just make it a powerful wedge Bot.

Joke Version

Viper Version

Blutsauger - Class: Antweight
Probably my most powerful ant. Built around a drum I purchased from another builder, He was quite powerful, going 2-2 at Bot Blast 2015. Sadly the drum broke and I had no spares. So I modified the bot to use the Kitbots Saifu Drum. Big Mistake. While drum itself worked great, It was simply too big for my ant, and as such, it went a disappointing 1-2. Also, NEVER USE LOCTITE ON UHMW!

The First Version of the bot

The Second Version of the bot

Where he is now

SteelHeart - Class: Hobbyweight
My First ever bot. Originally an under powered scoop for Franklin 2011 who went 0-2, he was rebuilt for Motorama 2012, and did MUCH better, going 2-2.

The Original Version:

The Version for Motorama 2012

Where he is now

HerperSherk - Class: 12lb Sport
This bot wasn't made by me, but was lended to me from Twisted Sick Robotics to use at Barn Battles 2016. Did very well. I was allowed to keep the frame and Rake afterwords, but I need to provide my own electronics, which is fair. Those are expensive.

The completed bot at Barn Battles

The Frame as it is now

Sooner or later I will post about Future Bot ideas. I Apologize about the long post. I am just excited to be here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:57:10 pm by Beaverbotics2 »

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
Re: Team Beaverbotics
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:30:17 am »
Nice batch of bots!  Where are you located?
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Beaverbotics2

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 09:12:57 am »
I am located in Virginia, about 12 miles outside of DC. Let me just say FT that I have used so many of your parts in my ants without issue. Top notch stuff.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:19:59 am »
Thanks!
I thought "beaver" might mean another Canadian builder.  :)
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Beaverbotics2

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 04:11:45 pm »
I have been very Busy on FaceBook, but forgot about this. So Post time!

Prep for Motorama 2017:

UberSaw (1lb) - He is getting a new disc like I said, which is being cut now. Along with new Drive Motors, motor armor, and antlers to prevent flipping.

SteelHeart (12lb) :D - After 5 years of stasis, my First bot is finally being rebuilt! Featuring a new Steel wedge (Finally making the name relevant), and a new planned Brushless Drive Set-Up, it should finally be competitive again.

New Beetle - As of right now, He has no name. But I am helping one of my mom's friends son build his first Bot. It will be a simple Trilobite kit, with a D2 wedge up front. Nothing to fancy, but it will be a great starting point.

Other News:
I never reported this, But back in November I attended the Battle of Lynchburg in Lynchburg VA. I brought 2 bots, a new ant servo lifter dubbed "The Hash Slinging Slasher" and a modified version of my beetle bot "Little Yama" with the saw replaced with a grabber. Sadly both bots failed as They both died for the competition even started. I eventually got Little Yama working for the rumbles, but HSS Never worked the whole tourney. Both Bots will be completely Rebuilt for Summer Events, With Little Yama being upgraded to Brushless Drive and a new frame, and HSS Being a crazy weapon bot with a ServoCity Motor powered Flipper.

So here are my other planned bots of 2017. Whether they all get done or not is up to fate:

-Little Yama (3lb) - Dustpan Saw with thicker frame and Brushless drive
-Blutsauger (1lb) - Rebuild with new chassis and accommodate for Kitbots Saifu Drum
-Hash Slinging Slasher (1lb) - Given a new crazy powerful flipper and new chassis:
-Herpersherk (12lb Sumo) - If I have time to go to Barn Battles again, I would like to get this guy working again.
"New Bot!" SaberTooth cat (1lb) - Named after the Battlebots Update Meme, will likely be a tracked angle Bar spinner.