August 16, 2017, 11:43:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bending titanium  (Read 351 times)

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Bending titanium
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:20:55 pm »
I'm thinking about making a titanium wedge for a bot, something vaguely like what is in the D2 kits, and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it. (I've learned my lesson and I'm trying to plan ahead instead of buying a slab of metal and trying to figure out how to form it after the fact.) What would be the best way to make the bends for the sides of a wedge? Using a small hydraulic press? A bending brake?

I've heard of others trying this by taking a torch to the metal and hammering it in a vise with mixed results.  Instead of trying to do something like that with basic tools to get an "okay" result, I'd be happy to make a small investment in an appropriate tool if I could use it multiple times and it would give me a better result. (I'm slowly building up a small bot-building workshop in my basement one tool at a time.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:49:06 pm by AmbientChaos »

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
Re: Bending titanium
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:34:13 am »
If you go with a press, make sure the radius is really big.  A sharp radius will just break the titanium.  That's not to say it will work with a big radius either, because after the one piece broke, we gave up on the press and went back to the shop to heat with a torch and bend with a vice and hammer.  :)
That was 1/8" thick, but only 2" wide - probably smaller than you are wanting.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics