December 11, 2017, 01:59:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Receiver power supply  (Read 529 times)

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Receiver power supply
« on: October 15, 2016, 02:57:30 pm »
I am thinking that at least some part of the issues I had at Franklin Institute were due to receiver issues, but it remains to be seen if they were reception issues or power issues.  I had OrangeRX 615 receivers and I am considering buying replacement Spektrum receivers to try and cover the reception side of things, but I remember reading somewhere that having multiple ESCs with BECs could wind up causing issues as well. 

In both of my bots I have two TinyESCs providing BEC power to the receiver.  Could this cause reception issues?  Should I disable the BEC on one of the ESCs?

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Receiver power supply
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:00:02 pm »
I have personally used two of the Tiny ESCs to power the Rx and have had no problems. IMO

Adam
Revelation Robotics

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:02:45 pm »
Tinyesc are specifically made so you can run many of them without becoming issues. Unfortunately this is not part of your issue.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:26:44 pm »
Thanks for your advice.  I actually finally diagnosed what the issue was just this morning.  The BEC in the TinyESCs actually was the culprit, but as you said not due to any interference between the ESCs.  The issue was power droop during fast throttling up was causing the receiver to brown out.   Adding a separate BEC to the receiver fixed the issue, so now I've ordered a new weapon ESC with its own BEC in hopes of permanently fixing the issue.

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:02:33 pm »
That makes sense, the bec in the tinyesc is only enough for a receiver, if there's any draw it's not enough. If the weapon esc has a bec that should be enough without any issues.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies