August 22, 2017, 06:27:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: cheesey armor loophole  (Read 546 times)

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
cheesey armor loophole
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:24:56 pm »
Just brainstorming, what would be the best armor against drum spinners? This may or may not have been inspired by a recent antweight I saw with an actual banana strapped to it (and also season 1 battlebots version of complete control).

Ideally you want something with the consistency of brie cheese or soft surfboard wax.  Because it is very soft and will absorb impacts by breaking off in little pieces and deform rather than transmitting loads to your bot.  The added benefit is that it is very gummy will probably jam their drum.  Is this against the entanglement rules?  Technically, no, because an entanglement defense is specifically defined as one that stops weapon motion by being "wrapped around rotating parts" and cheese won't be wrapped, it is more of a "globbed on" type thing ;) I hope someone bolts a few slabs of cheese to their bots soon to see how this will work..

14.1.5. Entangling Weapons or defenses: these are weapons or defenses that
can reasonably be expected to stop drive train and/or weapon motion by being
wrapped around rotating parts
. This includes nets, tapes, strings, and other
entangling materials or devices.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:26:45 pm by daggius »

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
Re: cheesey armor loophole
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:32:06 pm »
I would think 14.2 may come into play with "significant cleanup". I don't want to clean banana or cheese out of an arena!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:49:58 pm by TeamAstroBot »