September 20, 2017, 10:44:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Tamper Resistant  (Read 1694 times)

echin

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Team Tamper Resistant
« on: August 21, 2016, 03:34:45 pm »
Hi all,

I've been involved in FIRST for a long time, but I'm new to combat robotics and have been lurking around SPARC for a while. I hope to make it to make it to as many events in the north east as possible.

Current bot:

Event Horizon:
Beetleweight

I'll post build logs here as I build more bots:  http://ericwchin.blogspot.com/

Team whanton2

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team Tamper Resistant
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:53:22 pm »
Jealous of your facilities. How much does a cnc router like your's cost? Can it cut parts as big as 5",18",1"

echin

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:40:28 pm »
I believe it was in the $1500 range from Ebay (shipped from China). It could definitely handle 5 x 18 x 1, I think the max working volume is something like 16 x 24 x 3, though I don't remember the Z axis height. I only cut plates on it due to the bed not being flat. The only modification made to it was re-working the stepper drivers to eliminate the occasional step skipping caused by poor board layout.

jamisong

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:00:33 am »
Logged in just to say, NIIIIIIICE! Look forward to meeting you at an event!

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »
Huh, I never would have thought about using a router to cut aluminum plates. I'll have to file that away for possible future usage.

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 01:52:56 am »
That is a very solid looking machine. Hopefully you can come out to an event at some point and break it in c:
TEAM IGNITION
FireArrow (Antweight) 23-11
Nocturne (Beetleweight) 5-10 (Retired)
KnightShade (Beetleweight) 0-0
Landshark (Mantis) 1-2

Pennbots 2014 and Bot Blast 2014 antweight champion. Bot Blast 2013 Best Driver and antweight third place.

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:23 am »
Yeah, very nice. Better than my first bot, it could barely punch a hole in a milk jug, but my brother and I were so pumped. :P

echin

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »
Thanks!

Aluminum on the router isn't great, but the combination of good router bits and light passes make it usable.

Hopefully, I'll be able to bring it to Franklin Institute (after getting some driving practice). Does anyone know when/if the next MassDestruction at Artisan's Asylum might happen?

Team whanton2

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:20 pm »
Should make for an exciting competition :), hope you make it.

roybrox

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 11:34:20 pm »
I'm going to go look into a venue tomorrow, but expect the next MassD to be around early November! I'll start posting official dates and locations as soon as I get more of the details worked out
DANGER 4 - Road Rash, BEST KOREA, The Cuban, Gracious Pipefessionalism and many more!

echin

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 05:52:01 pm »
I signed up for Franklin Institute Yesterday, so I guess I need to start making spare parts. If anyone's interested in carpooling down from the Southern NH/ Boston area, message me.

I've mostly finished making modifications to Event Horizon. I re-made the drum motor mounting to make it less likely to break and reduced the weight of the bot enough that it is now at weight. I plan to switch out the bearing on the non-supported side of the drum to a needle bearing (lighter) and make interchangeable polycarbonate side armor to give me enough extra weight to add wedglets for fighting wedges. Does anyone have any suggestions for wedgelets? I was thinking of using some strips of thin titanium, but I might use polycarbonate since it's lighter and easier to work with..

echin

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »
Here's my post-event write-up for Franklin Institute: http://ericwchin.blogspot.com/2016/10/franklin-institute-competition-post.html

I had a great time at Franklin Institute!

Event Horizon had a number of issues. Hopefully I can get all of the changes I want to make done for MassDestruction.

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »
Hey it was nice to meet you in person and the robot was pretty on point. You had a very tough draw for your first match, but it was a pretty good match. And I was glad to see you got it all back together again for you later fights.

-Kyle 

echin

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 11:59:42 am »
I've been busy for the last month or so, but I finally got a chance to get in some design time.

Here's a quick design update on Event Horizon: http://ericwchin.blogspot.com/2016/12/event-horizon-design-update.html

I will probably go to the next Mass Destruction, assuming FIRST Robotics does not intervene.

-Eric

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 08:24:04 am »
new design is looking good. for your drum teeth look into used planer knives. they already have the profile you desire. you would just need to anneal them, drill and countersink your holes, then re heat treat.

-Kyle