Author Topic: Becoming Great with Less Effort  (Read 3413 times)

mgthesog

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Becoming Great with Less Effort
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:47:40 pm »
20% of efforts yield 80% of results. This is the pareto principle. It is the secret to mastering something and it applies to pretty much everything you can do in life. My little brother and I are picking up building battlebots as a hobby and I want us to excel. So this question goes out to anyone and everyone who has at least reasonable experience in this field: what is the one thing-the 20%-that Ive got to get down in order to get me 80% of the way to mastering building battlebots? Thanks guys! :)

Coboxite

• Roboteer
  • Made with real lemons
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming Great with Less Effort
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:33:27 pm »
Learn to drive. Once you get good enough to drive with out thinking, you're only half way there. As soon as you have a minimum viable product, start driving as much as you can. A good driver can make almost any bot a champion level competitor.

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:51:08 am »
To build on LTFD as mentioned by Coboxite, make your drivetrain reliable. The weapon can break all it wants. If you can still drive, you can still win. A bot that has a working weapon but no drive can't use that weapon.
Featherweight in progress - Gallowglass - Team Damned by Design
Antweight - AmbiSinister - Team Damned by Design

Team whanton2

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:35:37 pm »
I agree focus on drive train durability and just drive it, ALOT, have multiple batterys and killem all in one sitting and do that as often as you feel like.