September 20, 2017, 10:45:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team CoolWhip Robotics (Camden Wallraff)  (Read 864 times)

Camo5

  • Roboteer
  • *
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Team CoolWhip Robotics (Camden Wallraff)
« on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:32 pm »
So the old forum died, but I have updates for Spinook!!

Ended up buying some V2.4 fingertechs, some 30:1 MP micrometal motors, sticking with the ZTW 12A esc for now, fixed the wheels, added thrust bearing support beneath the hub and put in a large washer to try to keep the belt from popping off again, swapped blades around to keep low blow from getting to my bot's special place, hand cut and drilled a new baseplate using a 12v drill and a skil saw, added fingertech wire mounts, got a fancy new battery that fits oh so perfectly (And saves 8 grams of weight) and rewired everything.

Wheel fix

Spinook ready to go!!

Its internals are actually perfectly balanced, 99% of the weight goes directly to the wheels!!
Here is a picture of the bolts i'm using as casters, they ride about 0.5mm above the ground on both sides.


QUESTION!!! I currently have micro-deans as the connector type, but I was wondering if I should swap to an XT30, 3.5mm or 2mm bullets? I have the 2mm bullets here, and would have to order the others. Do you think they can handle 20A?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:05:09 am by Camo5 »

FingerTech

  • Administrator
  • Roboteer
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
Re: Team CoolWhip Robotics (Camden Wallraff)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 04:47:53 pm »
2mm bullets should be able to handle 20A for the 3 minutes we run them.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Camo5

  • Roboteer
  • *
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Team CoolWhip Robotics (Camden Wallraff)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:54:43 am »
I decided for now to stick with the deans connectors as the ones that came with the battery and the unused one I had lying around make a solid jostle-free connection.

In other news, I've started the design phase of two 150g bots, and have a redesign for spinook's shell incorporating weapon tooth shock absorbsion to ensure the bolts don't shear.

Here is a quick weapon I threw together:
Here is a shot of current "design":


Parts list for the fairy:

It will be a similar build to demise, but I want to minimize the footprint and wrap the bot in a thin-ish layer of polycarbonate or aluminum, or titanium if I have money or a dontator or a reason titanium is better as guts armor.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:25:03 pm by Camo5 »

Camo5

  • Roboteer
  • *
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Team CoolWhip Robotics (Camden Wallraff)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 05:28:44 pm »
I've been toying with the idea to 3-D print the inner chassis of my flea, I would like some feedback.


« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:27:23 pm by Camo5 »

Camo5

  • Roboteer
  • *
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Team CoolWhip Robotics (Camden Wallraff)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:54:04 pm »
So, I made progress on spinook.

Here is an x-ray view of the new guts profile to attach the weapon and pulley:

And after much deliberation and iterations trying to keep the weight down, I think i finished the teeth.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:41:57 am by Camo5 »

Camo5

  • Roboteer
  • *
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Team CoolWhip Robotics (Camden Wallraff)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:37:31 am »
UPDATE!

http://imgur.com/a/3cdB2

I made some changes to the main shell in CAD and am still fighting with myself to do it IRL. by changing it, I lose the option to have a thrust bearing under the shell. On the other hand, the polycarbonate support seems to wobble more than i anticipated, and the fix to that- squeezing the hub between two thrust bearings - causes massive instability at high rpms because i have no idea. I'm gonna get loctite for the nuts and see if that helps, but there seems to be about 0.03mm of vertical play from one end to the other of the bearings and i don't know what part is malformed. I'll probably put the whole thing on the lathe and clean it up, it'll give me a few extra grams to work with at least ;P

New full body teeth with 3 points of contact, a main point at the bottom to stop wedges and wedgy drums, a spot in the middle to grab hold of those damn 2.5" liteflites i see on half the ants, and a point up top to keep those pesky bar spinners from touching my main shaft, as well as to chew up anything unfortunate enough to find itself on top of spinook.

My secong 150g bot has been cadded somewhat - it's a mini-spinook! :D
I have two versions of this, a 3" diameter 4wd direct drive design with a 1804 motor, or a 2wd pulley design using a 2202 motor. I was convinced of the need for stability.

getting ready for CIRC in august because i hate crunch time.