Author Topic: Team Brain Damage  (Read 61249 times)

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #450 on: February 11, 2020, 11:37:34 pm »
I got the bot all wrapped up today.

I ended up raising the shell 1/8". I realized that something was wrong with my thinking. I originally thought because the idler was getting murdered at Moto last year that the drag issue was caused by friction there. After thinking a little longer and watching some of my test videos I realized that the drag issue can't be from friction between the shell and the base... the drag is the wrong direction for that.  If the shell was hitting the base it would be slowly seeking the direction the shell is going. If it was just counter-inertia from moving the shell it would stop if I turn off the weapon motor.  My best guess for what was left was the shell hitting the floor and pushing the bot the opposite of the direction of the shell, because it's really pushing the floor in the direction of the shell.  So I raised the shell 1/8" and... way less drag, way better handling.  It's kinda dumb how long it took me to think of it.  The roller setup was always designed to be shim-able if I needed to, so I just installed the shim under the roller and removed the one on top of the shell.

I also made a lighter weight baseplate that will allow me to have heavier bolt-on teeth if necessary, and function as a backup if needed as well.   Tomorrow will be packing and cleanup, as well as volleyball and catching up on some chores I've been neglecting pretty hard.

Hope everybody else is coming along too!
-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 01, 2020, 02:47:20 pm »
Pretty "meh" showing at Moto this year for Hyperpolarized.  The first fight was awesome, but one of the huge impacts damaged my weapon controller internally, which caused it to fail intermittently. This meant I thought it was working against Marathon, but it failed to start 5/6 tries.

I spent most of the day Saturday troubleshooting the intermittent controller issue, including doing some load testing in the pit without the shell that I think damaged my weapon belt. The weapon belt gave up the ghost in my third fight against Crmison Snow, but survived long enough for me to get the win.

My fourth fight was against Jamison with MegatRON. I can barely beat him on a good day, and with the issues I was having up to this point I doubted this was going to be one of those. I was right - further weapon belt issues caused the weapon to die after he bashed me into the wall for a minute or so and I tapped out.

In my last fight I faced Emulsifier. If the bot was working 100% I think I had a shot at him, though he had the thing super dialed in this year.  Unfortunately I only had the one spare belt, and I had just killed it against Megatron so no spin means no win for me. KO after the first hit when I landed upside down. 

I'm pretty sure the belt issues were because the drawing I used to replace that frame rail included the wrong spacing for the weapon motor. I fixed it manually last year by remaking the part, but apparently even though I thought I updated the drawing I had not. That meant extra slack (about .040" to short on the center distance!) and that meant dead belts when I smack stuff hard enough. Naturally my spin tests at home couldn't show that problem. I'll need a more thorough testing mechanism.

Videos are here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS-2IRfn6lw&list=PLATw5d_vDtZmzA1yijgG_b02UlzoBphZZ

I think I basically have to fix a little damage from the Emulsifier hit and maybe grind/rework the teeth a little from accumulated wear, and fix the belt thing and I'm back in business. Alas, another year to wait...

-Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Canadian Carnage Robotics
« Reply #452 on: March 02, 2020, 02:08:55 am »
Nothing worse then going to a once a year event and getting almost no data on what you need to improve. I guess this means you've got time to work on magneto for franklin/moto ;) All that said, that Crimson Snow fight was spectacular while you were spinning.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Canadian Carnage Robotics
« Reply #453 on: March 22, 2020, 10:14:18 pm »
https://youtu.be/PbBoY0UBnwU

this was quite amusing
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics