Author Topic: Team Brain Damage  (Read 75339 times)

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Canadian Carnage Robotics
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2020, 06:51:12 pm »
That's fair, it would need to be a hub to retain the bearings and hold its shape for sure, so an aluminum hub with a uhmw tire basically, but as you said at that point using the same stuff as the drive wheel would be safe too. Bonus points if you could make then the exact same to reduce the needed spares.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2020, 10:36:20 pm »
I *could* make them the exact same, and in fact I have two duplicates for the powered roller so I can swap in two minutes instead of disassembling the hub assembly. It's like a speed reloader for a revolver. Actually it kinda looks like one too since it has six standoffs screwed into one side of the hub.

The thing is, the shaft setup for the idler one is more compact because the bearings are inside the wheels with a dead shaft instead of a live shaft with bearings outside. I am totally out of space. A hub for the idler could be a lot simpler than the powered one because I could skip the keyway, counterbore, and standoffs. Just glueing the roller to the hub since it shouldn't need to be replaced would be fine. I may just go that route if the banebots wheels don't work out. It's basically the same amount of work as making a hub for a colson that fits the bearings I have.

Tonight I got started on replacing the center post. I the OD, ID, and retaining nub on the back finished. I'm happy with how they turned out. I still need to drill the bolt pattern and add the retaining screw like I did with the other one. Then I have to install it in the bot which will require unbolting the weapon motor. That's an unfortunate artifact of the design, and I could have skipped one of the six retaining bolts to avoid it. If I expected to do it more often I probably would have but the extra strength in that part was worth the extra headache. I wasn't even planning to have a spare originally but the tolerances on the center bearing are just too bad to keep what I have.

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/qTwNkMq

-Zac

TeamAlreadyBroke

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2020, 09:37:10 am »
Looking terrifying as always Zac!

Just an observation from running the BaneBots T40 and T81 wheels in higher ground speed applications; anything less than the hardest ones (and even those) do not like any sort of scrubbing to be present. I can only imagine with your speed it would be significantly amplified. I can show you plenty of severely cupped / shredded wheels like yours just from driving in our laminated floor practice arena.

Keep up the good work!

- Dominic

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2020, 04:41:14 pm »
Yep, I'm coming to realize that. Thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunately it's designed as a 2" diameter part and I only have 1.75" UHMW in stock. I ordered some 2" material (and 2.75" so I can make whatever I need in the future!). It should be here Tuesday.

In the mean time I got the idler hub made, top plate installed and verified, bearing mount installed, and top teeth installed. It just barely makes weight with everything, but I have a double stack of retaining plates on the center post that I can use as ballast if the scale is not feeling forgiving.

I've got some other stuff going this weekend, but will try to get the idler and some spare stuff made up this week.

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/qTwNkMq

-Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 03, 2020, 01:07:31 pm »
I've found the blues get pretty torn up on 30lb drive but blacks were much better. In this case I do think uhmw is the way to go and look forward to seeing how it holds up.
Andrew Burghgraef

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 06, 2020, 06:44:11 pm »
After some minor adjustments I'm happy with where the solid UHMW roller landed. I don't have the video on hand just yet, but it is much smoother than before. I think the underlying issue is a slight inaccuracy in the flatness of the shell top. When I rotate it by hand I can see the center of the shell going up and down a little, maybe a bit more than 1/16". At the speeds I'm dealing with that means a lot of vibration

I've got some spares to make, painting, etc but I should be in business next weekend.

-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 09, 2020, 08:05:36 am »
I didn't work on the bot at all yesterday. Still to do:
Spare weapon rollers
Spare top plate
Some more testing
Paint
Packing

I'll try to do some of that today.  Instead of working in the shop like I should have, I tried to wrap up the project I mentioned the other day on here. I have created a phone app (currently only available on Android) that should help builders know when they are on the list and be able to look at the bot details for registered bots. It will also be useful for the friends/family of builders so they can tune in to the stream when the time is right.

For the moment it is in beta mode (anybody with the link). and there is also a web site that doesn't have all the native app goodies but still allows some of the interactions. I expect to publish it on the android store before motorama but not tell non-builders.  It still probably has bugs as I haven't tested it super-thoroughly.

At the moment it is running a fake simulation of Moto 2020. The list updates every minute or so and you can subscribe to bots and it will send you notifications. Humphrey Hugabear is a frequent bot so you can see the notification flow easiest by using that as an example. The Watch Now link points to an old youtube capture. When I have the live stream link I'll update it to point to the right place.

Eventually I'd like to roll it out to IOS as well, and allow the live stream and audience in the stands to use it. Long term I'd love to allow people to upvote fights they like and stuff like that but I don't have any more time before moto. For now, give it a shot and see what you think. I'm currently rolling out a fix for the wrong bots showing up the first time you "explore". It takes a while to propagate through Google's app servers.

Web: http://robotreconapp.com
Android Beta: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.therobotdesigner.nercapp

-Zac

TeamAlreadyBroke

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 09, 2020, 12:31:18 pm »
Zac, you are a madman and I love it!!!

That is so awesome you put in the time for this! Seriously, thank you! The website feature was working pretty good, but with an App like this there is definitely some real potential for growth for sure! For me personally (due to so many bots usually) I really like the notifications feature. It will help immensely if a match is bumped or to be able to get notified of an upcoming match you have been wanting to see. It's definitely an awesome start! We are excited!

May I make a small request though? Right now the notifications are set up for "Never", "Up soon", and "When bot moves"...maybe I am misinterpreting the labeling, but could we select both of those options instead of either or? Or is "when bot moves" every time is gets closer to its match? Basically need some clarity in this area. Maybe a short description below? I know you are crunched for time.

Keep up the good work!

- Dominic

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 09, 2020, 12:49:59 pm »
Any Time the Bot Moves is the feature you want. You'll get a message if the position for that bot changes on the list. So if it arrives at the bottom you'll get a message, then every time the fight list is published it checks to see if the position changed. Sometimes we just add more fights below it so you won't get a message, but if any fights ahead of it get remove (like the fight happens, somebody postpones, etc) the position will change and it will tell you. 

I struggled with making the names concise and also useful. I'll have to think some more. Basically "when up soon" is for people who want to watch the fight like family and friends (or really cool bots for other builders). "Any time it moves" is for your bots, so you know you will be ready for the fight.

Feel free to provide any other feedback you have. Right now I know it's annoying that the android "back" button doesn't really do anything. It's on the list... but it's probably not happening before the event unless time magically appears :)

-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 09, 2020, 12:55:12 pm »
I should also point out that when the list changes you won't get more than one notification. If you're watching a whole army of bots (and you will be with your crew...) then it's likely multiples will be on the list at a time. When that happens you'll get notified about whatever the soonest fight is with a "+ 2 more" added to the message to say there are two others you subscribed to also on the list. In any case, when the notification comes in I'm expecting you to check the list to see what the deal is - the notification is just so it doesn't surprise you.

Basically I've been having one of my crew be in charge of watching the list for years. Now I don't have to - there's a robot in Iowa doing it for me.  It only checks every minute but that should be faster than a person was going to in most cases anyway. When we get to the real show I'll disable the simulation and start watching the real list instead.

-Zac

jamisong

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 09, 2020, 04:37:57 pm »
Awesome idea for the app! Although it will cut down on the number of steps I get at the event ;)

For the replacement roller, sounds like you just need more surface area because the stress it too high for a plain UHMW roller. What if you made an aluminum hub to mount an UHMW disk as your idler? The hub could hold the bearings as well. Otherwise there are other abrasion resistant plastics that could work well instead of UHMW.

TeamAlreadyBroke

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2020, 09:05:55 pm »
For whatever reason, I am not getting the notifications no matter what I try. I have used every combination of keeping the App and website open / closed, different windows in App etc... I have made sure my notifications for the App itself is turned on in Android (Samsung S10+ with latest update). Is there something I am missing?

Also, side note, did you guys end up making controller hangers for this year since soo many people were bringing them inside the box and putting them in harm's way last year?

- Dominic

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 09, 2020, 11:24:43 pm »
app is listed as not available in this country :( any way to let the canuks in on this goodness?
Andrew Burghgraef

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 10, 2020, 07:02:13 am »
Oops, the app should be available in Canada now.  I originally just listed it in the US so that I didn't have to spend a bunch of time dealing with GDPR stuff, but of course there is a large Canadian Contingent invading from the north as well.

The solid UHMW roller with the aluminum hub continues to be a good solution. I did another test with a harder powered roller yesterday to see if it would slip instead of burning up if there was more resistance spinning up the shell than expected. I think this is what cost me the last two fights at moto last year. The first time I think one of the top screws dropped through the shell and bridged the gap with a hole in the mid plate, and the second time I think it was the scum of the first roller getting bound up in the crappy idler. Now I've fixed the idler and the top plate screw issue, but if something does bind up I'd rather the wheel slip than just get completely burned up.

I made spare rollers, teeth, drive controllers, weapon controller, and a weapon motor last night. I also started the painting train. All that's left is final assembly, weight check, and packing

-Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 10, 2020, 02:28:09 pm »
Looks like the public version is available (and installing now) but not the test version (which is fine by me)

Sounds like you have everything pretty sorted out from what you learned last year, I look forward to seeing how the bracket treats you this year. I've always got a soft spot for shell spinners
Andrew Burghgraef