Author Topic: Team Brain Damage  (Read 57349 times)

zacodonnell

  • Roboteer
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #420 on: January 05, 2020, 10:01:43 pm »
Motorama is a-coming and I'm getting going too. I just finished the design work for the next update to Hyperpolarized.  I don't have time to do much of a write-up tonight but I did put up the initial render:

https://imgur.com/a/qTwNkMq


Hope everybody else had a good Christmas and the work is underway for other builds too. I just ordered the first batch of parts from mcmaster and the machine shop so it's officially build season for me.

-Zac

zacodonnell

  • Roboteer
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #421 on: January 07, 2020, 10:17:59 pm »
My mcmaster order came in today and I heard back from the shop that my aluminum frame parts are all done. They should arrive UPS tomorrow.  Tonight in the shop I took the plastic cover plates and detachable teeth off of the shell and spent a little time organizing the shop. I have a box of crap for each of the last three competitions of spares and materials that didn't make the cut when I was packing, and it's time to pay off a little of that accumulated debt.  For now I just moved them out of the way... which is why I have accumulated them.

Tomorrow when I get home from work I need to clean up the shell - grind off the top tooth holders, a split weld at the top of the shell from the last fight against Don, and strip the paint off to make welding the new holders and filling that hole a bit easier.  I'll send the shell down to the shop tomorrow and hopefully get it back next week some time. Almost all of the real shell damage came from the last couple of fights where it wasn't spinning. I think if I can fix that it should be very sturdy. Even with the hits it took it held up remarkably well. That AR400 is tough stuff.

While waiting for that welding work I'll be working on the updated frame blocks. A buddy at work is 3D printing a jig that should help me make the three pairs of parts more accurately. I've never done that before so I'm just kinda winging it. Basically I printed a shell that goes around the stock and has holes in the right places. The holes are oversized and I'm going to add in some bushings I make on the lathe to help align the drill bits. It'll kinda look like an iron maiden while I'm doing it.  He's also 3D printing a sample power switch body so I can test the fit. I won't be using a PLA version in an actual combat bot but I want to make sure I can actually assemble it and that the clearances are all ok before I go to the trouble of milling three of them out of UHMW.

-Zac

rcjunky

  • Roboteer
  • ***
  • Posts: 137
    • View Profile
    • Canadian Carnage Robotics
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #422 on: January 08, 2020, 07:08:53 pm »
The event certainly sneaks up fast. I'm in school now until early March so I needed everything done by last weekend, I'll throw an update up here now. I definitely think going to the AR was a good idea, since heat treating something like the 4130 would have been mega risky. Its good to hear it held up pretty good. I look forward to seeing it spin more this year ;)
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

zacodonnell

  • Roboteer
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #423 on: January 08, 2020, 09:46:43 pm »
I did the majority of the dental work tonight. I ran out of time and will have to wrap it up tomorrow so I can send it to the shop on Friday. I still need to bend the bottom flange back into shape too but that's not super critical.

My 2D parts arrived from the laser cutter, and my mcmaster order is in. My buddy printed the first pass of the jig setup for the corner blocks and they were a little tight so he opened it up 5 thou and it sounds like it fit. I'll check that tomorrow too.

-Zac

zacodonnell

  • Roboteer
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:39 pm »
The first real build progress came tonight. I got the shop all cleaned up and back in order, then countersunk the holes for the new mid plate. I've got a serious task on my hands to replace the few frame pieces I'm updating, but taking the bot apart and checking all the parts is probably worthwhile anyway. Here's a shot of the new pieces being test fit:




Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/qTwNkMq

-Zac
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:56:14 pm by zacodonnell »

zacodonnell

  • Roboteer
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #425 on: January 14, 2020, 10:34:03 pm »
A little more progress the last couple of days. I now have one almost complete power switch (need to make the cover plates on the sides) and two more that are maybe 75%.



Pics:
https://imgur.com/a/qTwNkMq

-Zac

BranYoung

  • Roboteer
  • **
  • Posts: 93
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #426 on: January 18, 2020, 09:09:48 am »
Not a bad idea! I assume UHMW body and all those holes are to mount right onto the frame?

zacodonnell

  • Roboteer
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #427 on: January 19, 2020, 10:05:08 am »
Yep, the holes are for mounting to the frame and mounting the cover plates that go on either side. The cover plates isolate the guts from the frame, but I guess if your frame was plastic you could save some width and skip one side. I considered just doing shrinkwrap to keep it as thin as possible but ultimately I had the space and felt better with real covers.

I spent all of last week on a different project that I'll list on here when it is in demo ready form. Today I'm heading back down to the shop to wrap up the power switches and start working on the frame transplant.

-Zac