Author Topic: Team Brain Damage  (Read 44675 times)

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #390 on: February 10, 2019, 10:44:57 pm »
More progress this evening but no more spinups. I went on to a third implementation of the idler because the bearings cracked on the needle roller version with the aluminum ring. Now it's straight UHMW roller. At least if it jams it will just become a skid.

I also got a second roller hub finished up and made six spare roller tires. This way I can swap between fights in 2 minutes and then replace the tire on the second hub once the pressure is off. I doubt I'll need six fights worth, but I don't know. The top plates are installed too. I ended up cutting them from some random top plates I had in the 30 bin. They were probably from Tetanus, but I'm not sure. They were a perfect fit, just had to trim the point off and drill new holes. I'm happy with how they turned out.

Next up is making up a pair of spare drive motors and maybe replacing one of the skids that is worn down a bit from my bad bearing tests. At least I hope that's what did it. Oh, and theoretically I'll be reviving magneato.

-Zac

BranYoung

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:54 am »
Any mods for Magneto or is time mainly for the new bot? I've really enjoyed watching the build grow up before Moto! The group on Facebook has been dominated recently by people finishing up their 30s and all I can say is that we are all in for a wild ride ;)

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 11, 2019, 12:07:24 am »
I have no idea where Magneato stands. It will get whatever time I have leftover.. my focus is on the new bot.  Better to have one done than two not quite done

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:20 am »
Hey Zac,

What weight, Dia, and rpm is the shell going to be? trying to put together a reference list of feathers

-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 15, 2019, 10:17:24 pm »
Both are ready and thanks to a ton of work from a lot of people the arena is too. This is gonna be fun

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 18, 2019, 06:52:05 pm »
Back from moto and slowly recovering. It was a great event and I had a lot of fun as usual. Our arena upgrades drammatically improved the safety of the arena and caused few problems with the competition. The biggest impact was probably the featherweight Final in which BEAM ended up outside of the combat surface behind the floating panels. Next year we'll probably make them full sheets to prevent this, but it sure was a big hit that caused it.

My fights were fairly satisfying. Hyperpolarized peformed very well in the first three fights, but then hit some kind of issue that prevented it from spinning in the last two. It's a shame - the weapon is a force to be reckoned with when it works. I still don't know what happened but I'll figure it out when I get caught up on all the crap I pushed off to make this happen.

The videos are here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJyUmfECaJY&list=PLATw5d_vDtZlMzaKHjtvLq319q9mrYWgK

Thanks to all those who pitched in to make this happen. The NERC crew really works hard to pull off an event this big, and many people put in long hours to put up and tear down the arena on either end too. There were even some extra volunteers to do pit running, scheduling, announcing, and judging. You guys rock.
-Zac

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:10 pm »
Excellent job on the new robot, it's very impressive in person as well as online. Can't wait to see it running at 100% next time around!

And thanks for reminding me about the forums, I'd forgotten you post all your build reports here. Very nice to see such detailed information on the construction of these bots.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2019, 10:08:19 pm »
I know facebook is all the rage, but I like having pinned discussions about specific things instead of sorting through the stream-of-a-hundred-conciousnesses flavor that Facebook promotes.

If there are only a couple of people who follow it I'll still try to keep doing it. I learned a lot from the Team Cosmos, Biohazard, and C2 Robotics build reports when I was getting started.

-Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Canadian Carnage Robotics
« Reply #398 on: February 21, 2019, 03:24:58 am »
I was very impressed with the performance of the new spinner in its first couple fights. I foresee an insect shell spinner being in my future... I also thought it was pretty cool how you have the bearing assembly on the shell, one thing you never really showed in the pic so far. Very clever and looks very durable.

After our discussion Sunday night I figured out how to embed pics here so I've started my team post as well here and will make an effort to maintain it in parallel to my facebook page.
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 17, 2019, 03:36:48 pm »
The bearings on this shell were the same sorta setup as the last two with the needle roller in the center hub and a fixed center post.  I did make it much larger in this version to allow me to lower it. I'll probably rework the center post into a single steel "cup" for the next version. I think I can use standoffs for the retaining bolts and 3d print a plastic block to keep the standoffs from rotating when I put the shell retaining plate on and off. That will be better than the two-part setup I have now and shouldn't depend on Threecoil's old mild steel flywheel anymore :)  The bearing actually held up surprisingly ok - I thought it would be the first thing to fail.

I support a shell spinner in any class. It's hard to keep them working though. I finally got to take it apart this weekend and see why it didn't spin in the last two fights. I'm not 100% sure, but my theory is that the damaged lexan top plates from the Emulsifier fight allowed the retaining screws to dangle down into the base and jam on a hole in the mid plate. I have a big scratch and a dent in one of the air holes at the right distance from the center. I think when it jammed the weapon roller was ground into powder trying to drive the shell past the screw and then I couldn't spin anymore.

I replaced the roller for my last fight against Disko but I didn't remove the melted rubber from the underside of the shell. When I spun it up bits of that wrapped around the idler and jammed the shell up again, causing the new roller to annihilate itself like it's brother. This caused it to stop spinning again. These rollers were 80A hardness. They have a 90 and 90A hardness too that I'll try to see if I can get them to slip and wear a little less. I'll also need a better solution for the lexan top plates and will probably recut the midplate so there is no gap under the shell cover retaining screws in case it happens again.

I'm helping out as a mentor for a local team so they can get ready for the Rage in the Cage event at Bloomsburg High School in a couple weeks, and will be the referree at the Meadville Northwest PA NTMA regional on the same day as Rage in the Cage. Should be fun

-Zac