Author Topic: Team Brain Damage  (Read 38203 times)

mman1506

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2017, 08:35:23 pm »
If you don't mind me asking what material do you use to make the L bracket on the end of the flipper?

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 29, 2017, 10:42:04 pm »
It is .25 inch titanium. I was bending the .25 6061 aluminum angle I used on the much less powerful first version. It was formed by whyachi. A well braced .25 aluminum could work I think.

Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2017, 10:54:38 pm »
How'd Franklin go? I think I seen you had a beetle?

I also seen ya didn't get in on the first round of Moto spots, was this intentional or did someone not fill you in since it appears to only been posted on Facebook? It won't be the same without you and your cool bots ;)
Andrew Burghgraef
Canadian Carnage Robotics

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2017, 06:13:52 am »
I only had Magneato at Franklin. It went about as well as I expected. At the last minute I had to pull out the microcontroller and run everything manually right off of the transmitter. This meant that after flipping the weapon motor didn't have any of the ramp-up time or built in pause to let the clutch disengage so it was pounding the motor pretty hard. In my third fight the shaft press fit / grub screws failed and in the fourth fight the hasty repair job gave up about half way through.  The rest of it worked decently well and many flips were had for a final 2-2 record.
Magneato vs Bot-a-rang
https://youtu.be/5GXj-AV_Ihg

Magneato vs Dorno
https://youtu.be/aYujS5Y573k

Magneato vs True Grit (should have won, got stuck upside down at the end because of the motor)
https://youtu.be/Ff4rUt550Yo

Magneato vs Uberclocker
https://youtu.be/0uv3AAgV4fo

I also got to help kyle with Congo, the chair-swinging sportsman bot. He helped me keep Magneato working so I figured I'd pitch in as a guest driver. I forgot to hit record on one of the Congo fights, and on another one there was no videographer, just a tripod and my camera, so the footage is pretty weak.

Congo vs Uberclocker (note the extra chair in the arena for Uberclocker to use)
https://youtu.be/VQwOQtN1LZQ

Congo vs Iron Golem (old fashioned slug fest)
https://youtu.be/9tKcuEv80Gc

As for motorama - I totally didn't realize the registration was already up. Life's been pretty busy lately and I just spaced out. I put a reminder on my calendar for round 2, so I'm still hoping I can get the sportsman in. Triggo is trashed after last year so I probably won't have a full combat 30. Thanks for the interest :)

-Zac

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 30, 2017, 11:35:54 am »
Send in paperwork to get on the wait list now to help your odds of getting in :)
Andrew Burghgraef

Great Hobbies- Canada's leading retailer of radio controlled models and related hobby supplies

rcjunky

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 29, 2017, 06:53:20 pm »
1 hour to go till moto reg ;)
Andrew Burghgraef

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2018, 09:00:23 am »
So... I missed the Motorama registration window. You people and your facebook... I'm going to have to get used to this whole "more competitors than we can handle" thing.  Fortunately, I was able to get in on the wait list, and even though Magneato doesn't appear on the BDB, it will be there unless I blow it up on the bench or in my test box. Triggo is dead, with a couple of huge dents in the shell from last year and a warped baseplate / smashed front axle. Rather than rebuild it and continue to cause box breaches when I fight Big Ripto, I'm focusing on the Sportsman for now. It's a hard thing to say, since I've never gone to Motorama without a shell spinner since 2004, but life... happens. 

With that, I've started making updates for Moto this year. At Franklin I had to "kick it old school" and run without an onboard microcontroller. That was pretty rough on the guts of the bot, and eventually having the robot try to spin the flywheel up the second the clutch was turned off (but not necessarily disengaged) was too much for the weapon motor. Kyle pointed out I should just switch the motor to an inrunner to avoid the silly grub screw / press fit problem but the better solution is to coordinate the throttle better using a microcontroller.

I pulled the old control board out, popped the Arduino Nano off of the socket I made, and installed a new one I got here:
https://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Elegoo-ATmega328P-without-compatible/dp/B0713XK923/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515938156&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=elegoo+arduino+nano+3+pack

I skipped the ICSP headers this time and used a real soldering iron and popped three of them out pretty quick. After some bench testing I put the real software on there and went to work on the new breakbeam sensors. I'm using these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2168  The sensors are used to detect when the arm is past the useful point in time for me to disable the clutch. Still need to test it at speed but I'm hopeful it will save my rear bar, rope, and flywheel energy when I miss.

I still need to wrap up the wiring, replace the damaged weapon motor, and do some testing. Stay tuned

Pictures:
https://plus.google.com/photos/107279152885550274671/albums/6510901572747399649

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2018, 04:33:05 pm »
I'll be awaiting the high speed tuning video. Are you going to get the bumb sensor up and running again?

-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2018, 09:23:35 pm »
Only if the weight faires show up. I spent today cutting down and prepping an alternative clutch plate that didn't have the steel outer ring, and it provides a significantly reduced amount of torque at the clutch. Just another indication I don't really have a good sense of how the magnetic fields are set up / what is affecting the effectiveness of the clutch. I'm right up against it on the weight.

I do have one additional pin available on the octopus though, so it could happen.

-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 15, 2018, 10:10:08 pm »
Some slow progress this weekend. I decided to try to see if I could steel (heh) some weight out of the steel in the clutch. It turns out that I can't, without weakening it tremendously. Once I took the outer pulley ring completely off I got about 8.5 lbs on the scale (vs ~18 lbs on the raw pulley). My tests with the one in the bot (which is part way between them) is about 13 lbs on the scale for this test.

Tonight I spent some time hunting for weight reduction measures now that plan A failed. I found a couple, so I think it'll be ok. We'll see I guess. Since I have to redo the entire wiring harness to replace the drive motors and controllers I decided to just go for it and find the weight later. That's delaying the time to test a little bit, but will save time in the long run because I won't have to take it all apart

Pictures:
https://plus.google.com/photos/107279152885550274671/album/6510901572747399649/6511476831480104274

-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2018, 10:33:15 pm »
Today involved a little work on my house instead of my robot. It is all squared away now, and I managed to get the keyway cut on the new weapon motor too. The glue set nicely on the drive motors so I'll be pulling the old ones out and replacing them, as well as installing the new weapon motor this weekend. I did break an endmill but I had a spare (thankfully)

Pictures:
https://plus.google.com/photos/107279152885550274671/album/6510901572747399649/6512596638728282226

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 19, 2018, 08:05:07 pm »
how do you feel about the brushless drive? have you tested it yet?

-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 20, 2018, 08:58:22 am »
I haven't tried the brushless drive yet. The torquecalc says it should slip the wheels around 36A, which should be right at the peak efficiency of the motors and right in the wheelhouse of the 70A red bricks (I hope). I haven't done any real tuning on the simonk firmware so we'll see what happens. Did you use any kind of retaining compound on the pinions on your motor? I'm not sure the press fit is going to be man enough for the bigger motors. I was thinking something like Loctite 641. I'll try without and see if slamming the sticks back and forth can throw the pinions.

Backdriving the assembly by hand sure feels smooth compared to the 550 motors, and the build quality on these is WAY higher, obviously.

-Zac

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2018, 01:16:10 pm »
I used loctite 609 for retaining my pinions. If you go that route make sure they are where you want them.

-Kyle

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2018, 02:20:01 pm »
Thanks. I got it all installed and have done just a couple of tests. I didn't put any retaining compound on it yet, but I added it to my next order. Might be a little tricky to get the gearbox grease off of the parts before I use it - any pointers there?

They are WAAAY faster than the old setup, but I think I need to increase the deadband in the middle of the controls because it is tricky to get them to zero out and arm. It also seems like they don't both do it at the same point so I have to mess with trims a bit. When I set a dual rate on the steering channel it made the problem worse, and I am also seeing some jitters from electrical noise when I push the weapon throttle up. I'm hoping a wider deadband and some calibration will help all the problems.

I'm going to mess with some settings and put the little noise filters back on the wires and see if that helps, but the way it is now isn't workable for the competition. Slow and steady is way better than fast and unreliable for me. I've spent most of the day testing the weapon sensors and timing. I have a lot of high speed video that I'm using for analysis. I'm going to keep messing with it for a bit but I'll publish out a quick rundown once I make some more progress.

-Zac