November 18, 2017, 07:03:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Brain Damage  (Read 25408 times)

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team Brain Damage
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »
Today I spent pretty much the whole time in the shop trying to get Chop finalized for Moto.  Even my partner bot "Block" is getting antsy because I haven't posted any updates.  Well, after frying two weapon controllers, having self righting problems, almost being overweight, and calibration problems with drive controllers, I'm finally ready to call Chop done for Motorama.

I beefed up the front corners and added Hoops of Shame (now with even MORE shame) to the bot to help it self right. I also redid the top plate.  In the end I'm reasonably happy with the bot. I may do a final tweak here or there with my remaining one ounce, but it's going on the shelf until I get the other bots 100% done and packed.

Here's the build log:
https://picasaweb.google.com/107279152885550274671/ChopBlockMoto15#6113222850843515026

And the obligatory "now I can embed images" pictures:

Also a testing video. It has a rather odd way of self righting when it turtles that I didn't intend but kinda like:
http://youtu.be/JerEN4Qwws8

-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 09:12:22 pm »
I spent the rest of the night designing and implementing a more sensitive bump sensor for Magneato. This one is based on a pair of torsion springs instead of bolts over compression springs. These are much softer and should account for misalignment better. It does seem more sensitive in my bench tests but I won't know if it really works until I fight a moving opponent.

I also replaced the clutch rollers on Magneato in preparation for the competition and found the ones I made are not quite bored out enough to accommodate the washer and snap ring so I'll have to do a little more of that tomorrow. I have four more pairs to make tomorrow anyway so no biggie.

details:
https://picasaweb.google.com/107279152885550274671/MagneatoMoto2015#6113290181842867682

-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 01:27:41 pm »
Breaking news:

Team Brain Damage will be pitching in with Team Terror (from Canada) at Robogames 2015! I'm not bringing any of my robots but I'll be lending a hand in the pits and watching brackets / foraging for food. I may also be helping with repairs as needed on their two robots.  I just booked the flight and hotel (I'll be at the HoJo 4 blocks down the road from the venue).  It looks like the hotel info on the Robogames site is out of date, they don't have a group rate at that hotel this year. The rate I paid is $105/night but that's still fairly reasonable I think - it's a bit under what I'm paying for Motorama hotels actually.  At least one other competitor must have called the front desk because the woman I talked to mentioned another Robo-gamer.

-Zac

Infernaltank

• Roboteer
  • Mutually Assured Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 02:31:30 pm »
thats great zac! have a great time and take lots of pics!

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 08:27:14 pm »
Tonight I got started on the final prep before painting and packing. My ToDo lists are getting pretty short.  Triggo is officially "done enough".  The bot is still not anywhere near as stable as I want but it will have to do for Motorama. The mechanics of the bot are solid, but the weight distribution is just too high I think. Not too much I can do about it right now so we'll see how problematic it is.

Chop is good to go. I shoe-goo'd in the weapon mount to help it resist being blown off the bot by the first big drum I hit.  I don't think that will be enough but I'm hoping to not go face-first into the drums too often.  I need to break in the second battery pack a little bit so I may do a couple more test runs with that bot.

Magneato is pretty much ready to go. I made a weapon lock and replaced the clutch roller with a brand new one, and I made a whole bunch of spares:

I should probably redo the top plates because they are a little dinged up from Al's various hammer bot incarnations. With the army of hammer bots coming this time I admit I'm a little nervous about the way my top armor is set up.  It'll have to do I guess. I'll just have to flip them before they can get a blow in on my battery pack or electronics. The wings should help some from the sides and back, but the flipper will have to do the work up front.

Painting and packing scheduled for next weekend, then I'm hitting the road the following Friday morning.

-Zac

BranYoung

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 06:51:37 am »
Sorry to switch focus on you hear, but what sort of wheels did you use as your clutch in Threecoil? The Colsons would seem to large and heavy for that particular robot and from the pictures I have seen they don't appear to be the same either.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 08:26:23 am »
It's just 1" polyurethane tubing from mcmaster bored out to .5" to fit the needle roller bearing. An end mill worked great to bore it out. Drill bits not so much - polyurethane is very wear resistant but cuts easily.

-Zac

BranYoung

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 01:00:18 pm »
If polyurethane is anything like UHMW, then these Forstner bits should also be able to do the job:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-shank-1-4-quarter-inch-to-1-inch-titanium-nitride-coated-forstner-bit-set-1903.html

If I may ask again, how were you able to calculate the necessary mass of the coil drum/ flywheel?

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 01:10:07 pm »
If he designs anything like I do, he made the coil wheel as light as he thought was strong enough and then made the flywheel as heavy as he had weight for.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 03:14:27 pm »
Yep, that's pretty much it.

I did spend some time playing with a spreadsheet to see what I thought might be possible based on different flywheel sizes and speeds. Then I made it as big as my lathe could handle (2.75") and as heavy as the bot could handle (steadily increasing version to version as I thinned other parts down) then I spun it as fast as the motor could handle (ended up about 14krpm in Threecoil)

-Zac

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 09:03:42 pm »
Last night I designed and tonight I implemented some anti-hammer top armor for Magneato. I'm not sure yet if it is a good idea, the new top plates feel pretty thin in comparison to the old ones.  I think they'll be better if the hammer hits the shock mounted lexan, but much weaker where the lexan isn't. Hopefully not so much weaker that bad things happen but I guess we'll see :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/107279152885550274671/MagneatoMoto2015#6115143797227994994

-Zac

jiocca

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 10:43:33 pm »
Yess....Delicious.

I wouldn't worry too much without my little targeting system I'm not actually likely to hit anything in my first competition.

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:02 pm »
Why don't you cover the whole top with shock mounted lexan like that with lexan as the actual cover/support as well? It should hold up good against hammers and the like.

Don Doerfler

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 12:28:53 am »
if he did only lexan It would probably shatter unless it was like <1/4
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:30:44 am by Don Doerfler »

Lucas Grell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 12:54:40 am »
Yeah, that is true, but it depends on how effective the shock mounts are and how well supported the lexan is. I haven't really seen that many pictures of the bot without plates mounted, so I'm not sure if it has pieces it's just touching that aren't actually bolted down or not. If it does, I'd think the lexan would hold up well. Of course, I've never really fought hammer bots, so I don't know exactly how much force they're putting out.