Author Topic: New Class of Bots  (Read 1490 times)

DougDB

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
New Class of Bots
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:48:10 pm »
Hi Mike,
In Western Allied Robotics in the Seattle area- we started competing with a new class of 1 pound antweight plastic bots. The intent is to bring in more builders that may not have access to a shop and machines, but may have access to 3D printers. The class has quickly become popular in our area. I will be submitting the results of our last event (2016 NWMHE) soon to SPARC. I'm hoping this new class can be accommodated in Botrank. You will see (when I submit) I have listed above mentioned bots as 1 (plastic) in the formatted list. If you want a preview- I have posted it on the WAR FB page for comments/corrections before handing it over.
Doug Brown
Team DinoBots
Western Allied Robotics

MikeNCR

• Near Chaos Robotics
  • Global Moderator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • nearchaos.net
Re: New Class of Bots
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 05:42:31 pm »
Should be doable. If you want to designate them as "1p" (as opposed to "1") I'll work on getting the changes made on my end soon.

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 06:17:21 pm »
It sounds interesting to me.  What are the regulations for the new class that set it apart from normal antweights?  Is it pretty strict like "nothing but plastic, electronics, and screws/connectors", or would there be anything else allowed besides that?

DougDB

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:18:05 pm »
The ruleset is evolving quickly, but at the moment- weapon and chassis are plastic. Allowed materials for those components are ABS, PLA, PET and PETG. Other printing materials are being considered. There has been much debate whether printed parts only are allowed, or also fabricated parts from the materials. At the moment, both are allowed. The bot cannot have metal reinforcements. A reasonable quantity of screws are permitted in the chassis.