Author Topic: Low Cost 3D Printer  (Read 7199 times)

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Low Cost 3D Printer
« on: March 02, 2016, 03:42:21 pm »

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Low Cost 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 04:19:58 pm »
So I have this half built Reprap Pruisa I3 decked out for Nylon and Polycarbonate filament. A few weeks ago I decide to check online and see about getting the final pieces. Jumped on AliExpress and noticed you can now buy a full reprap prusia kit for $200 shipped. Which is fairly solid.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=200042003&initiative_id=AS_20160303125500&SearchText=reprap+prusa+i3

My experience with reprap is they will print well, IF you have the time to tune and calibrate and IF you have the patience to repair it every week.

But its cheap...

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:58:12 pm »
Were the problems you experienced because you were printing Nylon and Polycarbonate? Or is it just because it's a $200 printer?

Adam
Revelation Robotics

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:23:00 pm »
Also what kind of "repairs" would be needed every week. ;)

Adam
Revelation Robotics

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 07:00:54 am »
It certainly doesn't tell you the whole story, but Make Magazine does a yearly issue on 3D printing where they review 3D printers and the quality of their prints.

The Da Vinci printer you linked to was reviewed in the last round, but my big takeaway was that the Printrbot Simple Metal is a cheap printer that seems to have results that are comparable to the the results from printers that are multiple times as expensive, and you can even get it with a few upgrades like a heated bed to print with ABS.  Also notable between the two is that the Da Vince actually has the larger build volume of the two and has an enclosed print area to help with printing ABS, but it uses proprietary microchipped cartridges of printer filament that you have to buy from the company at a higher price (a big turn-off for me personally) rather than the plain spools of filament that most others use that is usually less expensive. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 07:31:40 am by AmbientChaos »

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 02:16:54 pm »
I don't think I could say too much specific about it, I don't think it's been widely used enough to find reviews anywhere. It has a fairly large build volume and a heated bed, but the frame is made of acrylic. I would personally prefer a sturdier frame made from metal (though admittedly I've never tried one that wasn't), but of course that raises the price. Also, are you handy enough to work through any issues that pop up by yourself?  Because at a glance I suspect you'd have a hard time getting much support from them.

Another good-but-cheaper option that I have heard mentioned repeatedly is the Wanhao Duplicator i3, but I can't say much more than that since I've never looked into it myself.

All of the different materials that it can print with are just a function of how hot it can go and if it has a heated bed, if a printer can go to a high temp and has a heated bed then theoretically it can print practically anything.

HIPS is high impact poly-styrene, PC is poly-carbonate, and I assume when they mention wood they are referring to some varieties of filament that have wood fibers included in the plastic (I know there's also some out there with carbon fiber in them, but I hear that they wear out most print nozzles). 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:18:37 pm by AmbientChaos »

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 06:00:24 pm »
I know that it has been a while since I have posted here, but I think that I have focused in on a printer:

The Wanhao Duplicator i3:
http://wanhaousa.com/products/duplicator-i3-steel-frame

I have read a couple of reviews and it seems pretty good. Do any of you guys know about this printer? If you could steer me to a good review, that would be a big help.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 08:04:03 pm »
As far as reviews go, this one seems to be a fairly unbiased review of the older version of the printer, showing both the drawbacks and benefits of the Duplicator, this is another review of (a rebrand of) the newer version of the printer, and this is a side-by-side comparison of the results from printing the same model from a Wanhao Duplicator i3 ($399) and a Printrbot Simple Metal ($749).

I'm currently between 3D printers.  I had one for years that I sold at the end of last year as I was getting ready to move, and I plan to get another one once I finally get settled into my new place.  I had been planning to go with the Printrbot Simple Metal due to the price and general good reviews I had seen for it, but this thread has caused me to change my mind.  After I mentioned the Wanhao Duplicator i3 in passing, I wound up doing more research into it for myself.  My general summary is that for the price you can't beat the print size and quality, but you might have to spend a little more time and money on it to make some small upgrades to get it to be reliable and show its potential. 

If you do a Google search for "Wanhao Duplicator i3 upgrades" or "Wanhao Duplicator i3 mods", it looks like there is a good number of people who have already figured out the printer's quirks and posted solutions and modifications to improve on the printer.  To paraphrase a description I saw somewhere along the way, it seems like it is a $400 printer that you can spend $50 and a couple of days to upgrade into a $800 printer.  Unless something else comes along to change my mind in the next few months I am thinking that it is the Duplicator that I will wind up getting for myself once I'm ready to get another printer.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:23:28 pm by AmbientChaos »

65fastbackmaniac

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 10:42:07 pm »
I have a CoLiDo DIY Printer, 8" x 8" x 7" Build Size. It runs PLA it is a decent printer not the best but I have printed plenty on it without problems. It comes with good software.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AT4ODYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1