December 11, 2017, 02:07:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is "controlled translational movement"?  (Read 716 times)

Kaldonis

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
What is "controlled translational movement"?
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »
The SPARC rules define controlled translational movement as "...being able to traverse in a manner such that the net movements of the robot are in a linear direction." This seems to be saying that as long as a robot is capable of moving in any direction (i.e. not just spinning in circles) that it should not be counted out. We ran into a situation at the last Kilobots event that has us a bit confused.

https://youtu.be/Mq98e7q1-5Q?t=31s

In the above fight, Killer Lotus spends about 20s or so on his back, moving ever-so-slightly due to the vibration his weapon was generating. We did not count him out at the time but reviewing the fight now we're wondering if we should have. There's no doubt that this movement is translational, the question is around whether or not it was "controlled."

Does controlled mean that the robot can start or stop the movement? In my opinion that's not good enough, but if one were to blindly follow what the rulebook says, it would probably qualify. Personally I think the "control" should refer to the direction of the movement, i.e. you're able to control the direction in which you're moving.

Just curious to see what everyone else's thoughts are!

Nutball

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: What is "controlled translational movement"?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:58:20 pm »
A tough decision in my opinion as described without watching the video.

I'd say judgment should be based on whoever has the most movement and control according to how their bots normally maneuver when not damaged. Even if you end up with some big wheel high speed robot that can only go straight, but goes so fast it bounces off walls into another direction.

If it is really that close of a call, when time runs out just go to a judges decision based on how the fight went.

After watching the video, neither bot was very damaged (so it seemed), plenty of time was left, so I personally would have let the one creep over to a wall to see if it could right itself as it did do.