Author Topic: Building a bot with hand tools: what do I need?  (Read 2269 times)

tomchaps

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Building a bot with hand tools: what do I need?
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »
Boxes are now on their way from Fingertech, Hobbyking, McMaster-Carr, Banggood... We're excited! But: I have a cordless drill and a soldering iron, a cluttered table and basically nothing else.

What else will I need, if my plan is to make a straightforward wedge (UHMC PE, Garolite, titanium for the wedge), hopefully with a lifter or clamp? What is not strictly necessary, but worth having? A Dremel?

Thanks in advance...

Jeff Gier

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Building a bot with hand tools: what do I need?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:46:57 pm »
Well you're missing a way to cut the stock into the shape you want.  I suggest a jigsaw for the plastics and a rotary tool, like a dremel with a re-enforced cutoff disk attachment for the metals. 

You will also probably want a scribe and a square with a solid ruler.

Coboxite

• Roboteer
  • Made with real lemons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:23:31 pm »
One really good tool: Aviation/Compound shears. They cut through flashing like foam board, can cut straight through garolite and plastics, and can with a little muscle, cut through harder thin metals. Try to get yellow grip handles, as they cut straight.

RevRobots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 02:51:01 pm »
To add to this great list, I would get screwdrivers, and needle-nose pliers. Also +1 for the dremal tool, it has helped me a lot.

Adam
Revelation Robotics

GuavaMoment

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:24:04 pm »
You'll also need a hacksaw and a file. And a bench vise. With those three things and a lot of patience and work, you can make almost anything.

Kaldonis

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:19:53 pm »
A membership to your local hackerspace so that you can use their mills, 3d printers, dremels, jigsaws, etc...