November 19, 2017, 08:53:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Ambient Chaos  (Read 8776 times)

daggius

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • bot videos
Re: Team Ambient Chaos
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2015, 01:30:52 pm »
looking sharp

tomchaps

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 06:33:37 pm »
Out of curiosity, how did you bend the UHMW plastic for the wheel guards?

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 06:46:54 pm »
I just used a heat gun, a piece of scrap wood, and some thick work gloves.  I marked where I wanted to bend it with a marker, heated that spot up with the heat gun until it went from being white to transparent, then bent it around the corner of the piece of scrap wood and held it in place until it cooled.  After my experience I might recommend using a second block of wood or something to push and hold it at 90 degrees until it hardens, even with the work gloves my fingers were very toasty by the time I finished.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:07:21 pm by AmbientChaos »

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 12:04:22 am »
At this point I have decided that I am going to build an antweight bot so that I can have both an antweight and a beetleweight to round out the team, the question is how soon will I build it and what form will it take.  I like the idea of going for a horizontal spinner next, but I haven't fallen in love with any of my previous ideas, so I came up with this little idea:

It's designed using primarily ready-made parts, so 80% of the work would be just bolting all of it together.  It's not going to win any awards for looks, but I like that it should be really easy to disassemble and replace parts.

For anyone that has made their own clamping-style motor mounts out of plastic (especially for silver spark sized motors), how thick of a piece pf plastic did you use?

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 09:31:18 pm »
I made clamps for the 1000 RPM motors from kitbots out of 3/8" UHMW bar with a ~1" hole drilled through it. Bolts through the whole thing and it worked great.  You can make it pretty small around the motor so it doesn't weigh much. I left ~.125" above and .0625" below the motor and it held well.

-Zac

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 11:53:01 pm »
I finally decided to go ahead and order parts for my antweight. 

Because of the way that it looks with the body made out of pre-drilled U-channels, I have decided to call it Angry Erector Set.  Now I just have to wait for the drive motors, wheels, etc. to come back in stock so I can get it built the rest of the way. 

I was aiming for the simplest (relatively sturdy) way to try building a bot with a high speed weapon so that I can jump into the competitions without a lot of effort, and with how quickly the body went together I think this design seems to be fulfilling that goal.  Since most of the parts will just screw together, I'm thinking that the most difficult parts of this whole build are going to be learning how to wire this bot better than my last one and building a bot-proof box so that I can safely test it once I get it finished.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 11:58:19 pm by AmbientChaos »

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2016, 07:15:39 am »
I haven't even had my very first fight at Motorama yet and I already have parts breaking on me.  I got an extra servo for spare parts when I ordered my parts, but now just in getting everything tested and practicing driving I have had one servo die from mechanical issues and a second die from electrical issues.  I had hoped that between the two broken servos I would have enough working parts to make one working servo, but even with a "brain transplant"  of the control board I couldn't get a servo working.  I guess that I was trying to put too much force/power through the servos compared to what they were designed for.  I got some replacement servos and voltage regulators ordered last night that I'm hoping will arrive in the nick of time, but it is now entirely possible that my first competition will be with a plain wedge instead of a lifter.  Maybe I'll go back to my 4S battery to give myself some extra speed to compensate.

Fingers crossed that the new parts get here before Saturday.  I'm looking forward to my first competition and getting to see the bots and their builders in person.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 07:30:41 am »
I have one of the finger tech voltage regulators in the giant servos if you want I can throw them in. If yours don't make it in time, stop by my table and you can use them. My current plan is to be there pretty much all day Friday and also Saturday and Sunday. It is team brain damage and I have the show spinner Triggo and the flipper magneto
Zac

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2016, 08:17:05 am »
I appreciate the offer.  I won't be there until Saturday due to work (so it probably worked out for the better that I didn't finish my ant yet since all of those matches are on Friday), but until then I'll just track the shipping label and hope.

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2016, 12:09:53 am »
Unfortunately some things have come up for me at the last minute and I won't be able to make it to Moto this year after all. 

On the downside, I had really been looking forward to debuting my bot since I had spent so much time trying to get it ready for Moto.
On the upside, this means that when I actually do get into my first competition it should be with a fully functional bot rather than one that is partly broken even before the first fight.  Maybe I'll even have my antweight finished up and I can get to try my hand in both weight classes.

For now I will have to live vicariously and watch the videos that get posted from Moto.  I haven't seen any details released yet, but I guess this means that the next competition in my neck of the woods would be either Bot Blast this summer or Franklin Institute this fall.  Either way I'll be looking forward to finally getting that chance to meet people in person.

Green machines

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 03:34:07 pm »
Pennbots is having an event in May. Keep an eye on builders database.

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 06:54:43 pm »
It's been a while since I posted an update here, but with the last parts finally delivered in the mail today I have everything I need to finish building the Angry Erector Set.

I still need to figure out where I'm going to squeeze in each part of the guts of the bot and how it'll all be secured, but the chassis is now essentially complete.  I'll have to wait until I get it in a competition to see if it's half as sturdy as I hope it is, but I am pretty pleased with myself that I seem to have managed to come up with a decent-looking unique 1-lb bot design that I could build with just a rotary tool and a hex wrench (since that is largely what I have available to me in tools at the moment).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:33:37 pm by AmbientChaos »

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2016, 11:26:38 pm »
I managed to get all of the electronics wired up, padded in foam, and crammed into the frame.  At least I don't have about a foot of extra wires like in my first bot, but it's still a tight fit.

That part was all finished several days ago, since then I've been working on building a test box so that I can try out little spinning bots like this without putting myself at risk.  Now that I have the test box finished I was finally able to give Angry Erector Set it's first real test run and see how it fared against an old dead motor.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=k6XC-GCeyDQ

Watching this first hit made me smile more than it should have, I'm going to enjoy driving this in a competition, no matter what the result is.  Overall I would call it a successful first test, but it definitely makes it obvious that I need to do a better job of securing the blade.  I still plan on making and heat treating a new tool steel axle for the motor, so I guess I'll just grind a flat on the axle while I'm at it for a better connection.

Since the whole bot is basically made from off-the-shelf parts with a little modification, I could post my spreadsheet with all of the parts and maybe even put together some basic instructions if anyone would be interested.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:42:58 am by AmbientChaos »

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 05:26:58 pm »
I am not going to lie. I jumped a bit in my seat. Looks nasty. Any ideas on keeping that blade attached better? Or was it not loctited because you aren't at a competition?
Featherweight in progress - Gallowglass - Team Damned by Design
Antweight - AmbiSinister - Team Damned by Design

AmbientChaos

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 06:33:21 pm »
It's definitely not in fully competition-ready shape just yet.  This was just the first time I had all of the critical parts for it and a safe spot to try it out, so in my excitement I just quickly bolted it all together and tossed it in the test box for the pleasure of seeing it really go for the first time.  I'm not particularly surprised that the blade came off in this instance, there was no flat on the axle to really give the set screw a good grip, there was no loctite used since it's still a work in progress, and the stock axle in the motor is not as long as I would like it to be.  Having said that, I knew all of that beforehand and it was all on the to-do list for before the first competition, I was just impatient and really wanted to see it go. 

Aside from excitement, this first test also let me see what would happen when the bot dished out a hit.  It seems like most spinning bots have a pulley or some other mechanism to indirectly couple the weapon motor to the weapon so that impacts put less stress on the motor, but I went with directly driving the blade to save on space and weight.  I had seen several stories of weapon motors easily breaking from the forces of a weapon impact directly on the axle, so I'm pleased that it seems to be reasonably capable of surviving the force of its own weapon.  Now I just have to finish the rest of that to-do list to get it ready for a competition.