November 19, 2017, 08:57:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmbiSinister  (Read 5192 times)

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
Re: AmbiSinister
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »
Oh, I'll be there regardless! It does spin and it does function. I need to pick up the proper screws to hold the teeth on as well as all four posts on the older bearing I switched back to. I actually put up on the facebook page a test I just did tonight after adding in a garolite spacer to the top of the shell. Taking the flex out of the small inner circle there seems to have settled it down quite a bit. I'm still at about quarter throttle when it gets squirrely, but that should be enough to look good. Can't say it'll dish out hits similar to and of the more seasoned bots. But as long as it'll stay on it's wheels, I'll keep it spinning. Tomorrow I'm cleaning/packing and charging the batteries all back up and getting ready to head up there. I only live about 45 minutes south of AA so it's a relatively quick trip Saturday morning.

As far as onto the next design, I'm not sure. I have so many ideas in my head. It's more about having the time to devote to them more than anything. But I'm 99% certain I'll come back to the antweight shell spinner just because it is a bit of a oddity in this weight class. I like being odd and different. I mean, the team is Damned by Design, so why not? :)
Featherweight in progress - Gallowglass - Team Damned by Design
Antweight - AmbiSinister - Team Damned by Design

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
I've got some pictures and more details in the Facebook page. But suffice to say, the new shell was just like the old. AmbiSinister's true colors showed through and we played dreidel one more time! The last match I was finally able to barely push the throttle open enough to get it spinning but not flipping, and somehow IT WON! The other robot had a RC toy radio, and the radio decided to quit, I didn't exactly deal much damage to the thing. But I'm just glad it actually worked for ONCE! So we've now got 3 out of 12 fights that I was able to spend more time on my wheels than the lid. Once this one and twice the first iteration. I'm still not positive where I'm going with this from here. It's gnawing at me that I can't get it to work, especially where I have a hunch I see my issues. But the CAD skills and precision materials just aren't in my brainpower currently to square it away. I doubt I'll truly let it go for the moment. I've still got something I really want to try because I think I can solve most of my issues with two major changes. It's just a matter of learning how to make Fusion360 take this thing in my head and put it in the computer (Where's Neo when you really need him?) and find a way to cram some new components in. Possible? Heh, anything is. Probable? Well... I do have a pretty long history of banging my head against the wall for every other hobby I've been involved in. Perhaps....

Camo5

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 12:20:38 am »
^_^ It's good to see my build progress being mentioned for people, My dreams have come true!!!

I found that to keep the bot from "coining" (Flipping upside down from spinning) you need to keep the center of mass of the rigidly connected spinny bits below the point of connection, bowls have a tendency to keep the COM too high.

If you think fitting in 6" is hard, think again!! Spinook fits perfectly in a 4" x 4" x 2" box :D It technically qualifies to be a fleaweight >:D

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 03:47:52 pm »
Yeah, I have a new shell idea that will help get the weight lower on the shell. But I have no idea if it'll even work. The bowl I think would work much better if I could make a disc to attach to the bottom of it. That would do what you're saying because now more of the weight would be lower on the shell.

And yeah, I can only imagine squeezing into that small a space! I'd really have to trim all the wiring on this thing, though using the MiniDuo ESC's helps immensely. 2 channel with mixing on board means it's 3 cables in ( +, -, and Reciever ) and 4 out and no other pieces needed. But yeah, it's still a monumental task getting these things even remotely accesible for repairs. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress for certain!

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 09:16:09 pm »
Heh, apparently I just can't let a project go. I had continued working on platforms after I thought I might hang this guy up for awhile. The constant flipping thing was kinda bumming me out.

Then Jamison Go stepped up and decided to run with me on a crazy, probably mostly insane idea. Why not 3d print the shell? We went back and forth, trying to figure out how we could get the shell both strong, and under weight. It needed to be less than 8oz to work. Whelp, my brain has many wires crossed, and his mind knows how to CAD and 3D Print, so, we have one more shot to see how things work. Do I have high hopes? Honestly, higher than on my previous works. It's stable at speed. It moves while spinning without bucking. So now it's all a matter of, can it win a fight? I think so. I'll be sure to update this with pictures of how things go and a nice after destruction build report that will hopefully show how I built it and how the other bots take it apart. But for now, just a couple of resting pictures of the little guy ready to throw down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_IPn7qcHqNOa0JWOWFSUEpFUDg/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_IPn7qcHqNOSm8zSUV1YWJFeWc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_IPn7qcHqNOaU9hMV9ndGloTFE/view?usp=sharing

Team whanton2

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2016, 12:33:29 pm »
I like it.

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 01:28:57 pm »
I thought it looked amazing. I was stoaked to give it a shot. And I can't say I was unhappy with the results.

Case in point, 3d printing the shell is viable. Jamison Go designed and printed the shell for me, trying to help me solve the problem of a horribly unbalanced shell. It took several direct shots from the undercutter that ended up winning the competition in antweights and it stayed together. Frayed, but was still functional and wasn't vibrating horribly afterwards. So it can be done, and is compeltely possible. He dun did gud.

My design is what faultered, once more. I tried to pack things in tighter but keep the 4 wheels. Looking back on it, I don't think this is feasible without bolting the shell directly to the motor shaft. There just isn't enough room to cram everything in. I have pictures on my facebook, and will be uploading them into the Damned By Design page. But my constant tucking in created a nearly 3" tall shell that just doesn't have enough weight down low to keep the wheels down in a hit. Especially spinning as slowly as it was. For the first time, I had a gearing ratio I actually trusted! And it was drastically slow because my inital plan wasn't carried out. I screwed up in design and didn't create the pullies I thought I did and it was not going to work. Jamison Go jumped in and saved the day with a pulley with rubber orings around it that would drive off the weapon motor adapter. IT SPUN! But not very fast, and that certainly didn't help any at all. I didn't get the centrifugal force to be a frisbee and it kept thinking it's a dreidel.

So, I think my next focus is to lower the thing. That means ditching the 2 dead wheels for a carriage bolt just to scrape on the ground. I have a basic CAD already done up for the basics and need to try and take a hard look at it before sending it off to be printed. As it stands, it'll be the wildest AmbiSinister yet. Will it work? No idea. But if I can get this to work as I have it, a shell height of 2" should help it be a hockey puck instead of a beyblade. If it all works out, perhaps next time it'll be something worth watching for once.

And if anyone hasn't noticed, yes, I'm stubborn. Once I encounter a problem, my brain continues working on it until I have a solution. Often that's just theoretical stuff and my ideas bounce around with each other. Then there's the heh, that would work, and it gets filed away. But this one.... This one is fighting me. It's certainly a more complicated set of physics and interactions than I can readily wrap my brain around. And I hate leaving anything half done....
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:33:00 pm by MDBuswell »

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2016, 01:14:48 pm »
To those out there with opinions, what do you think of the following numbers? The shell's disc is rought 5 1/2" in diameter. I like the numbers here, but am wondering if I could get a bit more upping the RPM. I realize it would take an extra second to spin up, but I wonder if I could push like 8,000 rpm with a disc that large. Any thoughts from the adoring fans? **crickets** Or any knowledgable folk?

Camo5

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 08:57:39 am »
Spinook sees about 8500 rpm (and 300 joules) before running into vibration issues, I have full confidence a well balanced shell will reach those speeds ;)

I caution you though, too much torque on the shell means your wheels won't grip and your innards will spin first.

MDBuswell

• Roboteer
  • Damned by Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 01:07:28 pm »
Whelp, I haven't worked a great deal on actually building anything robots related in awhile. Money and time haven't been on my side. With football season upon me (My last, I just don't think I have it in me to go for another year), I'm sure I'll have time sitting around trying to stop muscles from hurting and can play on CAD and such again. Will things be built? Not sure. Finances are a bit in shambles so it might take several months to get back on track with it. But hopefully eventually I'll get back to building them. And I may have two versions, a Shell spinner and figure out a name for a ring spinner variant. :)

Anyways, the recent work I've done (well, cumulation of it all) is now at a blog/website I've started! Feel free to peruse it and I hope to get more of my silly ideas up on there soon enough! www.TheInevitable.Fail