August 22, 2017, 06:31:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Flamethrowers?  (Read 2314 times)

GuavaMoment

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Flamethrowers?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 12:39:43 am »
Didn't notice this thread until now or I would have posted in it. I was originally planning on talking to you guys at the next event about this. So! I can remake the frame of Limblifter and save a couple of ounces. I bought a micro torch and took it apart to figure out how it works. I think I can make a flamethrower in only a couple of ounces. I know it's not allowed currently, but I'd love to be able to make a flamethrower for future events. I know it's not really an effective weapon, but I'll trade a few ounces of armor for making the crowd happy.

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 09:39:26 pm »
Unfortunately I think we decided against flames again. We did some actual flame testing and its tough to keep the lexan from getting scorched. We are getting fresh lexan installed (for the first time ever?) so we want to keep it in prime shape.

GuavaMoment

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 10:14:13 pm »
That's fine then. I can imagine how much of a hassle and risk it could be to allow.

TDS

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »
I would add one additional rule that there can't be a line of sight from the nozzle to an uncovered motor can to prevent motor sparks from igniting a theoretical spill, or something with that sort of idea.

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 12:16:26 pm »
The nozzle is going to have the igniter right next to it, so a motor sparking is going to be the least of your worries.

The arena and the fuel limit should be sufficient to keep things from getting out of hand if your robot blows itself up. Also the safety inspection should not allow any shoddy flame designs through...