October 21, 2018, 06:12:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guava Fleet  (Read 3801 times)

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
Re: Guava Fleet
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 02:26:58 am »
I don't think getting pushed out should change aggression.  The way I see it, a multibot's advantage is that it can still have constant aggression even if one bot spends the whole match running away, as long as the other is attacking.  Or they can trade off attacking.  Still constant.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

GuavaMoment

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 10:44:22 pm »
Even though we really don't use this forum anymore, I REALLY don't like using facebook for this, so let's do the Kilobots 40 recap here!

MangoMinute was a small speedy wedge I made in a few weekends out of robot stuff I had just sitting around. Used 16 year old escaps for drive, banebots 3-9 ESCs and two (mismatched) 3s cells to run on 6s. The BEC is rated for 24mA at 6S and the rxer seems to need about 22mA. It's fine! :) It used blue spring steel for a front wedge and had a big magnet in the front. I could get onto my wheel from any position on the robot just by driving, including the position where the wheels weren't touching the ground. The robot is so fast as to be nearly uncontrollable, and doesn't go in a straight line very well.

MangoMinute vs Metroid
Metroid is obviously a very good bot, and I think I was holding my own against it pretty well. From what I remember I could get under him, sort of, and was able to take a few hits without immediately exploding. Unfortunately, after one of the hits I see the power LED is out, and I get KOd. What happened was when I last charged the batteries I didn't take off the right panel due to laziness, and didn't connect the JST cables as securely as I could have. I figured one of those popped out, and sure enough that was the problem.

MangoMinute vs MegaLondon
I don't remember much here. Megalondon is a small Limblifter essentially, and I think Megalondon got me on top of him twice, and on the second one was able to take me to the pushout. 0-2, out of the tournament.

MangoMinute vs The Snip
I said I'd be willing to grudge anyone and meant it, but I was a little disappointed another ant wanted to fight. I'd have fought a beetle! The Snip has this cute little cutting disk, which I thought might make some nice sparks, or flip me over a few times. Turns out The Snip is a ferocious beast and literally cut chunks of of the hardened armor. Broke off a motor shaft too. At one point I was pinned against a wall while The Snip was grinding away at the 1/16" garolite that was only thing between the disk and a battery. It never got all the way through, and I tapped out once one hit had me land in the middle of the arena with wires sticking out. It was only the power LED (I never trimmed those wires) but I was getting worried about lipo fires if we kept going. Damn, The Snip has a scary weapon!

Rumble
I tape a tire back on the broken wheel and crab walk during the rumble. I don't know who did it, and I haven't done a full teardown, but the working escap motor has separated from the gearbox inside the robot, so let's assume that motor is dead too.

Limblifter vs Mega Don G
Mega Don G has a bunch of long feeler fork wedges on for this fight, so I try to get to the side of him and hope for a lift and flip. I do get to his side, but when I try to lift him, stuff isn't working right. Is he using a lot of magnets? Am I breaking more gears inside my lifting motor? I somehow end up upside down with the lifting arm behind me, and it's certainly broken now, it won't move. This is a huge stroke of luck, because it broke in a position where if I assume the lifting arm tip is the front, everything drives like it should and I'm just a normal wedge. I get Mega Don G to a pushout, but drive both of us out. We reset, and I'm able to repeat the process but stay in the arena. Win by pushout. I replace the last stage of gears on the lifting gearbox.

Limblifter vs Reckoning
For the first time I have modular lifting arms. I'm able to easily remove arms and add other things, and not have them fall off under the first hit. I knew I needed something to deal with all the powerful drum bots infesting the brackets. I saw a few weeks ago the wolverine claws that botkits are selling. It's just a hardened S7 claw on a hinge, and $99. I can do cheaper than that! The simplest source of hardened metal I know of would be some random chisel at Canadian tire. All I have to do is attempt to drill two holes in that, fashion a hinge for it, and I'm good to go! It's not that difficult to drill into FYI. I started with a cobalt 1/8" bit, and worked up 1/32" (or even 1/64") at a time until I got to 1/4". For the fight I have my chisel on the front, and one lifting arm on the side.

For the first minute of the fight, things are going really well! The chisel's holding up and Reckoning is taking the worst of the collisions. For the wide drums like him, it's really easy to aim the chisel into the drum. Brandon tells me afterward that he was getting very nervous during the fight because things were going badly for him. I notice the lifting arm is broken again. I get upside down on top of Reckoning at some point. Normally I'd flip myself out of situations like that, but with no working arm, I have to drive off. This caused my KO. A wheel must have been on the drum, and gets shaved off to the point where it's under the frame. When I slide off Reckoning, a combination of drum damage, broken lifting arm and lack of a wheel prevent all the other wheels from touching the ground enough to prevent a KO, and I get counted out. The chisel sustained almost no damage. Brandon showed me the drum, and it got mangled. He said I did more damage to the drum than anyone else in the tournament (and he fought Utopia!) and gave me a mangled tooth as a trophy. We all learned a lesson here - drums hate it when you shove a chisel down their throat.

Limblifter vs Exercise Restraint
I stay with the chisel. The lifting arm gets broken again. The chisel front wedge was made hastily and was too low, but I fixed it so I was driving a little better this fight than against Reckoning. ER ate a little bit of chisel and then drove itself out the pushout. I knew it had been having technical problems, but I thought it all got fixed before our fight. I later learned they had some transmitter setting wrong, either the weapon wasn't at full power, or was at full power preventing them from driving right, something like that. I'll take a lucky win though!

Limblifter vs LowBlow
I had a plan for wedges, vertical spinners and drums. I had no plan for horizontal spinners, and now I have to fight one. LowBlow is very easy to get under, so I go for standard lifting arm setup. After the last two fights though, the lifting arm is so mangled that doesn't connect the way it should. I have to back out a bunch of screws to give the arm constant play so that it rotates the full 360. I was shocked this didn't bite me in the ass. During the fight I'm able to have the main front wedge take a hit or two without exploding, so I just kept going after his weapon. LowBlow gets on top of me a couple of times, blade just millimeters away from tires and the top panel and other squishy parts. The lifting arm kind of breaks again, so I stop using it. A fight like this isn't one you win, it's one you outlast, and let the opponent defeat himself. And that's what happened. LowBlow hits me or the wall or something and goes straight out the pushout. I do a victory dance and see the lifting arm still kind of works. I discover once the fight ends that I wasn't breathing, or something. The only other fight I've ever had which was more stressful was DMR vs Hellrazer at the Joe Dogs event.

One of the hits pushed a side panel into a tire. I fix it, but the motor it connects to feels weird. It's a lot harder to turn. It doesn't sound crunchy, and works fine when powered, so I just go with it. I have no replacement anyway. I replace the entire lifting gearbox this time with the only remaining one that works and hasn't been harvested for gears.

Limblifter vs Wilson
The Battle of Edmonton! Sadly the winner of this fight was LowBlow. The weird motor totally died in this fight, and since the sides are in parallel off one ESC, it disabled its mate. Wilson's drum is narrower and slower, so the chisel strat didn't work. I break the lifting gearbox again. Pierre was nice enough to keep attacking me to prevent a KO, but I obviously lose the decision.

Rumble
I remove the bad gearbox, and the shaft of the lifting gearbox. So I'm just a three wheeled wedge. I obviously didn't do much the entire rumble, but I did absorb all the hits I needed to, and was one of the few (two?) left working at the end, along with Wilson who clearly won the rumble. Limblifter finished 3-2, in a tie for 5th place, and didn't put in an Angle Grinder of Doom worthy falling apart incident. A marked improvement over the 2015 event!

What went right
- 2.4GHz radio systems! I had zero radio issues, for the first time in what seems like forever.
-Snap hubs! I shoo goo the snap rings in place (something I do not see enough people doing) and had no problems. They worked better than my official and/or homemade Dave's hubs.
-Modular lifting arms made of 1/2" Al bar. This was the first event I didn't have an arm ripped off, or mangled so horribly there was no way it was going to work again. Some of the bars got bent a little, but that's fine. It used to be such an enormous pain in the ass to remove the arm I didn't want to do it ever. I did it after every fight here.
-Dear God the chisel. That is a winning idea we're going to see more of in the future.
-This is the first event where I feel like I don't need to rebuild the entire frame over from scratch! Unless I need a redesign, see below.

What went wrong
-I have no working lifting gearmotors, as Banebots doesn't make them anymore. Limblifter (and Papillion, lol) broke all five! I see Robotshop has some potential replacements maybe? That I'd have to make a new design around again, grrrr.
-I need more clearance between the side rails and the wheels. I wish 2024 wasn't so hard to find because that alone would help the problem. I'm sure the kitbots motor would have held up if it wasn't stalled. I need to buy some replacements, too.
-I could use better traction.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:45:59 pm by GuavaMoment »

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:18 pm »
Mango Minute could have fought Dempsy Roll who was itching for a grudge!

Speaking of drilling chisels...what did you use to drill the blue steel? I've been using little carbide center drills to do the pilot, and once you have that it doesn't seem so bad. Also I have found that masonry bits with the carbide are cheap and pretty effective albeit not pretty.

Always good to see Limblifter, even though this one is new it still has that nostalgic feel to it. I'm thinking you almost need to indrectly drive the arm with a belt or chain these days with all the murderers in the beelte class.

What radio system are you using?

GuavaMoment

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 12:24:32 am »
The secret to drill blue steel is to not drill it. I use this.

I'm using the cheapo radio system Kurtis sells. It has no features I'm used to, but it worked!

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 01:05:19 am »
Nice, I had all my blue steel waterjet for this event anyways!

Ah yes, the T6A. Those worked amazing well for the price if you don't mind the lack of receiver options and on board programming. We even used them on Crash n Burn.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 02:45:53 pm »
Gluing the snap rings in place?  And that isn't a pain in the butt when you need to change a tire?

NightWing would have definitely fought MangoMinute.  We need a grudge sign-up sheet next time for people to see who is available!
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

GuavaMoment

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 07:23:40 pm »
I'm not gluing the snap rings exactly, I shoo goo them in. It's an adhesive/sealant. It's certainly possible to peel all that goo off and replace; I did it after the Reckoning fight and it only added about a minute to the process.

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:41 pm »
Probably the same thing as Shoe Goo but I used Goop II to mount my maxons in both Blue Steel and Troubleshooter and it is strong yet quite easy to remove.

Mattiator

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 07:24:13 pm »
RE: The Limblifter/ER fight, I had forgotten to switch down to low-speed settings (had it cranked up for Treadnought earlier IIRC), so the drive was constantly tripping the failsafe on the ESCs whenever it tried to move. I also had a bad ESC on the left side (the label said it didn't have a tapbrake, dammit) so only one side was responding correctly. When you flipped me I saw I was rolling towards the pit, so instinctively I mashed backwards... which drove me straight in. Literally was the first time I'd actually had to drive one of my robots in upside-down. I'll get you next time.