August 16, 2017, 11:38:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Event Organization  (Read 1462 times)

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Event Organization
« on: July 15, 2015, 07:53:12 pm »
Ethan has done a good job, but now he is leaving us, so we should figure out what we are doing...

In the past the EO has basically been responsible for everything but, since nobody really seems to be jumping at the chance to replace Ethan, maybe we should try something different?

We could be more like a club and try to delegate jobs to different people, I suppose we could take turns each event if needed.

Event planner: this person books the venue, is the contact for the people at the venue, and makes sure we have what we need prior to the event. Once we are setup I figure this persons job is finished unless something comes up that we need to talk to venue staff.

Scheduler: this person creates the fight trees and is responsible for scheduling the matches throughout the event.

Safety Guy: this person does weigh-ins and  safety checks by the book for all robots and enforces them.

Refs and Judges: I think we have no choice to do this as we normally do, use whoever is available and qualified. I think it would be a good idea to use one of our meeting nights to go over all the guidelines together, watch the SPARC video examples, discuss, and just get on the same page.

What else am I missing? Thoughts?

ACME

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Event Organization
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:08:28 pm »
Thanks for starting this, Travis. Another task is hauling all the stuff to the event. This maybe get split up: safety guy hauls extinguishers and sand, scheduler hauls control box, someone else hauls the bin of stuff to destroy. Also, someone will need to take over as president of the official club, as they have to live in SK.

I'll still be willing to help out with club stuff as much as I can. I can probably still manage finances and help schedule events from MB. But, someone local will need to hold onto the arena bins (3 rubbermaids and a battery box, currently).

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:35:38 pm »
How does finances work anyways? Say a sponsor wants to write me a cheque or transfer money...what am I supposed to do? :P

Kaldonis

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:09:45 pm »
I can do Scheduler. I'd like to revive my event manager software and get it integrated with the arena controls anyways.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 03:05:59 pm »
I'd do the EO / Event Planner again if I didn't have to do all the during-event stuff.  I've sort of been doing it for the last couple events already.

I do not want to be in charge of filing ISC and all that.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:58 pm »
I can be safety guy then

It would be nice to have an finance/admin type guy who actually knows what they are doing. (ex. not me)

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:07:09 pm »
As for hauling stuff to the events...didn't we originally plan to have storage built onto the arena? We should really do that, in fact we should try to make everything as turnkey as possible. I feel like we do way more setup that we should have to. (setup hazards, control system, lights)

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:06:07 am »
On a different note, is it worth it for us to use the BuildersDB again? How useful is it?

thesaxmachine

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:23:33 pm »
Is buildersDB a pay service?

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 01:25:11 pm »
It is useful, but is buggy and costs $2 per bot.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics