Author Topic: Magnesium as a build material  (Read 3548 times)

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
Magnesium as a build material
« on: October 14, 2015, 12:23:49 pm »
I would be interested to know if anyone has had any success or failures using Mg in their bots (Arena Tested). I have been kicking the idea around for awhile because what I can see most alloys seem to be about 2/3's as dense as Al.

Below is a link to a good resource that I found regarding the machinability of Mg. Thought I would share with everyone.

http://www.nanomag.us/Hydro_Mg_Brochure_Machining_Mg.pdf

And here seems to be the only "online" store I can find that sells Mg plate.
http://www.magnesium-metal.org/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:27:45 pm by TeamAstroBot »

MikeNCR

• Near Chaos Robotics
  • Global Moderator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • nearchaos.net
Re: Magnesium as a build material
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:29 pm »
I would be interested to know if anyone has had any success or failures using Mg in their bots (Arena Tested). I have been kicking the idea around for awhile because what I can see most alloys seem to be about 2/3's as dense as Al.

Below is a link to a good resource that I found regarding the machinability of Mg. Thought I would share with everyone.

http://www.nanomag.us/Hydro_Mg_Brochure_Machining_Mg.pdf

And here seems to be the only "online" store I can find that sells Mg plate.
http://www.magnesium-metal.org/

I used 1/8" AZ31b magnesium for the top and bottom armor on the final version of Apollyon. It worked out pretty well overall.

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:34:09 pm »
I believe the version of Nocturne I bought off eBay had magnesium in it somewhere. Forget exactly where, and I don't have it anymore.
TEAM IGNITION
Sparkplug
FireArrow
Nitro Hornet
Spinjitsu
Salamandra

TeamTiki

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:32:12 pm »
I just don't see the cost / benefit ratio being high enough.  Maybe if you have a good source of surplus Mg.....

Tweedy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 05:07:06 pm »
I believe the version of Nocturne I bought off eBay had magnesium in it somewhere. Forget exactly where, and I don't have it anymore.
The weapon bulkheads are magnesium IIRC, and they are still mostly intact in its current iteration.

Coboxite

• Roboteer
  • Made with real lemons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 05:24:10 pm »
The weapon bulkheads are magnesium IIRC, and they are still mostly intact in its current iteration.
How well do they work? I've been thinking of making my beetle weapon bulkheads from Mg.

Tweedy

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 07:51:56 am »
How well do they work? I've been thinking of making my beetle weapon bulkheads from Mg.
Honestly I don't know yet, the first time Terminus will see full combat is at the end of November due to it having issues at the only other event I took it to this year.

Harry Hills

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Haz makes things
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 01:39:11 pm »
That stuff is fairly soft. It looked like it had been worked with woodworking tools. The pieces I cleaned up machined like they weren't there, but formed a pretty nice chip. I have no idea what this means.