Author Topic: 3# Bot Hockey Proposed Rules  (Read 4754 times)

mspurk

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
3# Bot Hockey Proposed Rules
« on: July 02, 2015, 06:48:11 pm »
Hey All,

I recently played Bot Hockey at Clash of the Bots and I loved it. I'd like to propose a 3 pound variant to make arena construction, transport, and setup a little easier. I welcome all comments, suggestions, complaints, and enthusiastic remarks of sheer joy about how much fun this will be.

-Matt-

PS These rules have been adapted from the www.robotpower.com ruleset developed for the 15 pound Bot Hockey tournaments. Bot Hockey is a registered trademark of Robot Power and is used with permission.

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: 3# Bot Hockey Proposed Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 07:33:52 pm »
just 5th scale it then?

irobotchuck

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Combat Robots
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:41:51 pm »
A good thing about doing 3 lbs is that many 3 lb combat robots can be easily converted over to compete in Bot Hockey!  If you 5th scale, it would only make the robot a little over 3 1/2 inches.  :P 
In order to get more beetles interested in Bot Hockey I would suggest making the max size 12 inches and make the matches only 5 min.  That would make it easy for Beetles to convert or go into the match as built.
JMTC

Chuck
Carolina Combat Robots &
East Coast Bot Hockey

mspurk

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:40:12 am »
I originally had 5 minutes. That was one I had questions about. I thought 5 minutes was appropriate for that size bot, but wasn't certain if the match play would be long enough.

I'm down for making it 12" cube for the size as well. Seems like an appropriate size. I was considered with the 9" robot dimensions considering the size of the puck. I thought it might be hard to get that puck in there.

Great suggestions. Keep them coming.

-Matt-

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:51:13 pm »
smaller pucks perhaps? the plan is to make everything smaller.

Kitbots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 01:41:22 pm »
I like 12" cube rule, firstly because I have 7 sets of parts
for a 12 x 8 3lb hockey bot ;D but also because it will make
Design of shooters much easier.......

I would also think some sort of wedge rule (like those in the nerc sportsman class) might be helpful so that it does not just become a contest of who has the lowest wedge.

How about "any part of the bot , other than the wheels, that touches or comes within 1/8" of the floor shall be vertical for a distance of 1/2" inch or be otherwise designed so that it does not act as a wedge to get under opponents bots.

Kitbots

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 02:00:31 pm »
How many venues ban small Lipo batteries?   

mspurk

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 03:58:46 pm »
Most venues that I've been to do not ban lipos for the small bots. Actually clash of the Bots was the first event I've been to with any Lipo ban.

I'm not too concerned about establishing a wedge rule, because you still need a surface to push the puck. The wedgelets on the side with a flat face along the front seemed to be the dominant design at COB.

Badnik96

• Roboteer
  • Team Ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 12:59:11 am »
How many venues ban small Lipo batteries?

Franklin Institute bans lipos in anything bigger than 3lb.
TEAM IGNITION
Sparkplug
FireArrow
Nitro Hornet
Spinjitsu
Salamandra

TeamAstroBot

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Team AstroBot
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »
You want a hockey bot design? Here you go.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-high-speed-cd-cannon-is-a-killer-way-to-destroy-ol-1716248627

Would this meet the rules?

irobotchuck

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Combat Robots
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 08:58:05 pm »
I would also think some sort of wedge rule (like those in the nerc sportsman class) might be helpful so that it does not just become a contest of who has the lowest wedge.
I kinda like the no wedge rule Pete.  That way its more about the driving skill and not about who can make the lowest wedge bot. :)

Koolaid64

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 10:08:40 pm »
I have read everything now, sorry about my oblivious replies earlier. I like everything I saw in there.
I might define the no enclosing the puck to no controlling it by more then two of its surfaces. grabbing just the top and bottom, grabbing just from the sides. something like that.
I also didn't see anything limiting shooter speeds. although I don't see it being a problem right away it still wouldn't hurt to address it. the SSL robo cup soccer speed is 8m/s which might be a good base line.

again sorry for my nonconstructive comments earlier

-Kyle 

mspurk

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:48 pm »
I revised the rules based on the comments that I've received. One of the big changes that wasn't discussed on the forum was removing the ability to clamp/lift other robots or the puck. In real hockey this would be interference or delay of game penalties, so that makes sense to me. I obviously, can revert back any of the changes, so let me know if I missed anything or if there are any other items you want me to add/addendum/delete.

Thanks to all for your support.

-Matt-

mspurk

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 06:40:06 am »
Ok no comments means complete acceptance. I am going to post these to the site. We can modify then after the first event once we see how it goes.