April 23, 2017, 07:26:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Growing Kilobots  (Read 3268 times)

needmorercs

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Kilobots
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 01:17:11 am »
The steps shouldn't be attached to the arena. The audience shouldn't be allowed to be right beside the arena for safety reasons, a three pound robot being thrown into the wall while some kid has their face pressed up to the lexan could result in a broken nose. Also trying to open and close doors, work the camera, and just trying to see your own robot during a fight is kinda hard with people crammed up against the arena.

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 02:25:26 am »
Those are some good points, I forgot that we usually rope off the perimeter of the arena. Not sure what to do exactly then, the step should have to mount to the arena somehow for transport, I know I wouldn't want to haul and store it.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 01:29:12 pm »
We would want one step along the bumper end.  It can be made of two halves or three thirds that can be put inside the arena for transport.
The diamond plate will be perfect.  I've got lots of 2" aluminum angle that can make the rest of the frame.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 12:38:49 am »
Was killing time at Princess today and got one of those boxes I was talking about to be a new improved firebox. Its 30 x 13 x 10.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 01:12:08 pm »
Speaking of fire, at last week's meeting (for anyone who missed it), we did some flame tests.  Results:
- Fire aimed directly at the lexan is going to leave darkened spots (at best) or start to bubble after a few seconds.  Even 1 second of direct flame was bad.
- If the fire hits the steel bumpers it will still darken the lexan above it given enough time (2-3 seconds).

Since it sounds like we will be doing a demo in August, that might be a good time to try a flame-bot against the old lexan.  We can come up with any rules we'll need like a no-flame perimeter. 

Other ideas and input welcome!
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 05:40:14 pm »
I wonder if something like this could work for the ref, the siren might substitute for airhorn and it has volume control...

http://www.amazon.ca/Pyle-Pro-Pmp30-Professional-Megaphone-Bullhorn/dp/B002PAZZIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436045915&sr=8-1&keywords=megaphone

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 09:47:38 pm »
That might work well.  I like the volume control.
And it's half price because there's a newer model.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Tobor

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 11:43:08 am »
Hi
     I'm one of the knew who got interested in building combat robot.
I will be at the event on 19 September in Saskatoon.  As I am starting questions is popping up on how to do things like what materials, tools, and hardware.
Having a kiosk next to the combat event could sparks more people's interest in this sport.

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 04:08:07 pm »
Hi and welcome!

We don't really have any manpower to run a kiosk, but the pit area is more or less open to the public and we generally answer any questions that people have.