August 16, 2017, 11:49:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Growing Kilobots  (Read 3858 times)

thesaxmachine

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Kilobots
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 05:43:44 pm »
Kurtis I have some stuff downloaded too for royalty free stuff for BG music i'll have a listen to your stuff.

Also possible cbc radio spot

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 07:40:20 pm »
Yay Travis!  Those ads are great.  Hopefully they reach lots of people.
Yeah bring your cans!  How many do you have?  Like a big black trash bag full?  Do I need to bring any or are we good?

I agree with the weigh-ins and have no objection to the judges scores being recorded.  When I judged in Miama, I would often go to teams after who looked like they thought they had won and explain what they could have done to get more points.  I noticed improvements the next time they fought.

So how many fights will there be?  This is important for scorecards (x3) and for the win stickers.

I have enough, you don't need to bring any.

My idea for scorecarding... I have one of those baseball card binders with the pages that have 3x3 grid of clear sleeves for cards. I will have to create a trading card sized scoresheet but then we can just easily put each fight (3 per page) into the sleeves so they don't get lost, afterwards we can take photos of each page to have a digital record.

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 09:13:40 pm »
Am I missing anything?

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:17 pm »
Audio Visual stuff is almost big enough to warrant its own thread... anyways...

James needs information to announce robots. I wonder if for future events we should have an actual form to register a robot kinda like on buildersDB. That way people have to fill out info like what their weapons are, strategy, tidbits like lifting form or RPMs, etc and then James can make a booklet to work from. Having win/loss record and botrank would probably be good too.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 02:40:45 am »
I like the scorecard and binder-then-picture idea!  Can you add 6,5,6 next to the Control, Aggression, Damage so judges don't have to ask every time?
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 06:16:17 pm »
Things to add to our list, from spectator comments:
20) Big step for kids. ~1.5ft tall, 8ft long, 2ft wide.  Assuming a child takes up 1.5x1ft each, this would allow 10 kids to see!
21) Live tournament brackets.  As basic as a big piece of posterboard and sharpie, as fancy as the tv screen showing whole brackets or even a live website everyone can check (gives more sponsor advertising opportunities too!).
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 06:19:12 pm »
If we are allowing fire, I think the pin timer should be max 5 seconds, not 10. 

Even without fire, it would make all fights better.  I don't like when Kitbot pins an opponent for 10 seconds.  It's boring.
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

thesaxmachine

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 06:55:34 pm »
 ??? Don't you drive kitbot ;)

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 08:38:40 pm »
Well does that apply to clampers and lifters too? Because thats not very much time for those types of robots to do their thing. I think 10 seconds is good, as long as the ref is on top of things. Also what defines "letting go?" Should be some kind of standard distance you should back up to.

Need to make thread about judging too, I will do so later when I post images of the scorecards for discussion. Aggression is the category that is always super close because we generally do a good job of trying to fight each other. If I'm judging and you are a pinner there is a very good chance the aggression score is going against you.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 12:23:55 pm »
Hadn't considered clampers.  I was just imagining a robot being engulfed in flames for 10 seconds and how that probably won't end well.  I guess that's what the tap-outs are for!  Flame-Kitbot could actually have a way to win by knockout!
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

ACME

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 01:04:43 pm »
We might need anti-flame zones to avoid robots sitting against the lexan pumping out flames for 10 seconds. I could see that ending poorly for the arena.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 01:15:28 pm »
The flames would be hitting the end steel or inside lexan.  The walls should be safe for the most part.  The rule could be more like "don't flame the outer lexan".
Still, a fire-to-lexan test would be a good idea.  Maybe on Sunday?
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 02:27:38 pm »
There should just be a rule that your weapon can't contact the lexan under normal conditions, AKA Chaos Theory Syndrome. If we do get new lexan we need to preserve it.

Kaldonis

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 12:40:25 pm »

Travis7s

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 12:22:39 am »
Things to add to our list, from spectator comments:
20) Big step for kids. ~1.5ft tall, 8ft long, 2ft wide.  Assuming a child takes up 1.5x1ft each, this would allow 10 kids to see!
21) Live tournament brackets.  As basic as a big piece of posterboard and sharpie, as fancy as the tv screen showing whole brackets or even a live website everyone can check (gives more sponsor advertising opportunities too!).

Ideally we would want to find a way to attach the step to the arena. for transport...

I still have a 8ft x 32in piece of the aluminum diamond plate that I want to get rid of. Cut it half to make 2 steps, mount them on hinges to each side of the arena so that they can just fold down/up as needed. Would need  some type of leg system too.